Confirmed with Link: [VAN/NJ] Canucks acquire G Louis Domingue for G Zane McIntyre

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I said before the season started that we should be giving as many starts to Demko as we can so that we can evaluate him and trade Markstrom or him at the deadline. Instead we ride Markstrom into the ground, he gets hurt, we have nothing to show for the deadline and now we have to play Demko with the entire season on the line.

But this is a good thing. Yes. Very good.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
I said before the season started that we should be giving as many starts to Demko as we can so that we can evaluate him and trade Markstrom or him at the deadline. Instead we ride Markstrom into the ground, he gets hurt, we have nothing to show for the deadline and now we have to play Demko with the entire season on the line.

Correct. However look at it from Management standpoint, playoffs mean you got a tender. No playoffs you got an excuse. Either way Markstrom can be derided for having a year of his life BUT can't carry the load when it comes contract talks. Jet Black is rubbing his hands thanking god for this no matter where the dice land.

Here I was hoping this year we might make some noise... well if we do Marky is gone cause it will prove we don't need him and some team is getting a solid tender because of Jim's shit poor cap management. May god have mercy on our souls.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If you guys can get on the phone to Canucks management, you need to tell them not to start Domingue under any circumstances.

Canucks play 22 games in the next 40 days. Starting Demko so many games might cause an injury. Not sure if Demko can handle that load. Another injury Canucks might need give a call to that former ubc goalie

Reactions: David71

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Didn't you want Demko traded a few days ago? That could have been a complete disaster.

I prefer having Demko here to step in for an injured starter. Didn't think you factored in the value of having an insurance plan in case Markstrom got hurt, and here we are.

Reactions: SantosLHalpar

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

These kind of comments are exactly why people question your practical hockey iq. First of all, you need to ride your top guy to a certain extent when you are fighting tooth and nail for a playoff spot. Second of all, do a quick google search to determine if markstrom is indeed over played for a starting goalie. Not close man.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Yeah, Markstrom got hurt playing against the best team in the NHL. Why is your team MVP sitting on the bench when you're playing the league's best?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

You're critiquing a claim no one has made. Several people have claimed the injury will at least show us where the team is at and what we have in Demko, all in the context of the expectation Markstrom will be back and healthy by the playoffs. If you want to address that position instead of the one you made up that no one is taking, be our guest.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
You're critiquing a claim no one has made. Several people have claimed the injury will at least show us where the team is at and what we have in Demko, all in the context of the expectation Markstrom will be back and healthy by the playoffs. If you want to address that position instead of the one you made up that no one is taking, be our guest.

I mean, my point Is that we should have seen where the team is at and what we have in Demko at the start of the season, rather than being forced to do so now.

Reactions: Jyrki21

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
A backup is an inherently more valuable position for a playoff team than a non-playoff team. Toronto's backup struggles may have sunk their season.

Interestingly enough, Domingue actually would've been a good pick up for them.

They should have been 50/50 imo.

But only assuming equal performance right? Even if I agree with you in theory, Markstrom started stealing games in December while Demko was just good. And it's not like Demko hasn't played - he has 20 games.

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I mean, my point Is that we should have seen where the team is at and what we have in Demko at the start of the season, rather than being forced to do so now.
I see. I'm still not with you. Markstrom is probably the team's most valuable player, and the team has been far more successful than it's been in recent years and will likely make the playoffs. Expecting the team to keep him off the ice in order to evaluate Demko to any significant degree just isn't reasonable. Also, it's worth mentioning that Markstrom isn't getting ridden. He's 10th in the league in games. His 43 games is almost exactly the midpoint between 1st (53) and 30th (32) in that statistic. Demko has had his chances.

Reactions: sting101

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
They should have been 50/50 imo.
that wouldn't give you enough information as to whether or not he can handle the number one load and run of games. Also the mental switch of knowing that it's all on your shoulders.

Big difference actually. I think your criticism is invalid.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Guy has had some hot streaks so hopefully he's got another one in him.

Much better alternative to McIntyre so there's that.

Like to see him signed by Utica next season.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I really like the trade. McIntyre was never going to be more than a Utica goalie at best. Domingue brings a solid presence to back up Demko and can play with DiPietro once Marky comes back. Its a small trade but has nothing but potential benefits for us.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
I'm just happy the Devils didn't get a pick out of us. Surprised they accepted McIntyre straight up.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm just happy the Devils didn't get a pick out of us. Surprised they accepted McIntyre straight up.
Maybe a money thing. Domingue not playing well for them. Costs them $1 mill in cash and cap space. McIntyre is on a 2 way deal. Remember they are retained on Simmonds and Hall. So, paying money for non roster players. Plus, they may at this point bring Schneider back up as they are paying him in full anyways. Season is over for them.

Probably the only reason they took the straight up swap.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Maybe a money thing. Domingue not playing well for them. Costs them $1 mill in cash and cap space. McIntyre is on a 2 way deal. Remember they are retained on Simmonds and Hall. So, paying money for non roster players. Plus, they may at this point bring Schneider back up as they are paying him in full anyways. Season is over for them.

Yup, probably a back-scratch deal also.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just had a gut feeling that somebody would be hurt in that Boston game, despite the blowout win. I sure hope Markstrom didn't injure his knee after being briefly pulled when he took a stick through his mask. If he came back out there and then got hurt, then the Canucks and Green deserve what they got.....should have just left Demko in the game.....now they have to play him every night.

I suppose the only positive is that they'll get a complete read on where Demko is at as a potential starting goalie.....still think it's only 50/50 they'll be able to get Markstrom signed.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

To add on to this, both are UFA at the end of the season and NJ is well out of the playoffs. These are nothing assets and Domingue was a slightly negative asset with a 75K cap hit in the minors. NJ gets a cheap minor league goalie for the rest of the season, and we get a guy who can fill in at the NHL level if absolutely necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad