Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Zack Kassian + 5th round pick for Brandon Prust | Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
nope. not if the kid isn't getting it. Kassian was so out of it he torpedo'd his value around the league and had true blue NHL'rs like Richardson calling him out.

Not the kind of player a lot of GMs want on their teams.

Then you WAIVE HIM.

as opposed to bribing the Canadiens with a 5th round pick, a bottom 6 roster spot and cap space to take him off our hands.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
It would take an idiot to not be able to acknowledge that Kassian performed exactly how they wanted. They had no choice but to acknowledge it... No one can deny that Kassian played excellent for that 5 week period, with a straight face. They simply told the truth. They didn't have to look for it... It was in their face.

Was it an entire 5 weeks?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
It would take an idiot to not be able to acknowledge that Kassian performed exactly how they wanted. They had no choice but to acknowledge it... No one can deny that Kassian played excellent for that 5 week period, with a straight face. They simply told the truth. They didn't have to look for it... It was in their face.

Then you WAIVE HIM.

as opposed to bribing the Canadiens with a 5th round pick, a bottom 6 roster spot and cap space to take him off our hands.

Meh, we gat an asset we can trade at the deadline, one whom by all reports is an excellent locker room guy. Could be worse, having difficulty figuring out what the hubbub's about?

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
You lose 2.5m in cap flexibility and a 5th.

What is cap hit in the face of a rebuilding team in need of a culture change?

The pick is a tough pill to swallow for getting rid of a risky player. Hopefully we can recoup the pick (or better) at the deadline.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Cody Hodgson also had a "PP unit" while in Vancouver according to AV :laugh:

Kassian directly won games for the team, to become a playoff team. Benning acknowledged this also... in a quote somewhere. You're being obstinate. You're probably just trying to be a devil's advocate.

Benning himself acknowledges Kassian's play, and all you have is that he wasn't telling the truth... when Kassian undeniably played excellent for that period.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Kassian directly won games for the team, to become a playoff team. Benning acknowledged this also... in a quote somewhere. You're being obstinate. You're probably just trying to be a devil's advocate.

Benning himself acknowledges Kassian's play, and all you have is that he wasn't telling the truth... when Kassian undeniably played excellent for that period.

Benning acknowledged Kassians way in the same way AV pumped Cody Hosgsons tires in an attempt to inflate trade value. Benning was really giving Kassian the public horn toot and using the media to see if he could pump Kassians value to trade him. The problem is that unlike AV and Gillis (in one of his better moves), Benning and WD didn't give Kassian the PP time and easy minutes that went along with the public adoration.

How many times did we hear about " Cody's PP unit"? Man AV and Gillis really did it well there. Benning couldn't bring himself to doing the same comprehensive on ice job on Kassian though.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Benning acknowledged Kassians way in the same way AV pumped Cody Hosgsons tires in an attempt to inflate trade value. Benning was really giving Kassian the public horn toot and using the media to see if he could pump Kassians value to trade him. The problem is that unlike AV and Gillis (in one of his better moves), Benning and WD didn't give Kassian the PP time and easy minutes that went along with the public adoration.

How many times did we hear about " Cody's PP unit"? Man AV and Gillis really did it well there. Benning couldn't bring himself to doing the same comprehensive on ice job on Kassian though.

This is about Kassian and Benning. This isn't about Gillis and Hodgson. Gillis is a whole negotiating level above and beyond Benning. Benning doesn't have it in him to do this... This was an honest assessment by Benning. At different points in the season, Benning had no problem or worry about Kassian's value, by throwing him completely under the bus. In no way, was this admission by Benning that Kassian played excellent for those 5 weeks an attempt to build Kassian's value.

Besides, Kassian played excellent for those 5 weeks. Benning didn't have to lie, or "pump Kassian's tires". Kassian played excellent, wouldn't matter if Benning said Kassian played terrible, excellent, or ok. All someone has to do is watch the games.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm challenged to remember an excellent 5 week Kassian stretch...
As a big proponent of the kid, I remember when he picked it up and when he suffered... But I don't remember the 5 weeks of excellence... Help please...

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I'm challenged to remember an excellent 5 week Kassian stretch...
As a big proponent of the kid, I remember when he picked it up and when he suffered... But I don't remember the 5 weeks of excellence... Help please...

"I thought he was making real good strides... You know, he got hurt, and he worked out real hard to get back, and when he came back, there was about a month, about a 5 week stretch there that I thought he was excellent... like he was doing all the things that we asked of him... you know, being that physical presence on the forecheck, protecting the puck, going to the net... you know, and then, unfortunately at the end there, he got hurt, and you know, we missed him in the playoffs... But, you know, he's another young player who's going to have to have a good summer, come in, and hopefully take off where he left off this year".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTOM7Kch2Wo
39:35

Myself, I remember thinking, great, with the way Kassian is playing the heat is off. He won't get traded now. I remember that lasted about a month or so, when I felt that he should be safe from a trade... who would trade a player with his skillset and size, responding the way he has, to what they say they want? Willie was pleased after the games... Benning was pleased during the interviews. Everything was pretty good before the injury. Hell, everything seemed good at the season closer.

Last edited:

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
This is about Kassian and Benning. This isn't about Gillis and Hodgson. Gillis is a whole negotiating level above and beyond Benning. Benning doesn't have it in him to do this... This was an honest assessment by Benning. At different points in the season, Benning had no problem or worry about Kassian's value, by throwing him completely under the bus. In no way, was this admission by Benning that Kassian played excellent for those 5 weeks an attempt to build Kassian's value.

Besides, Kassian played excellent for those 5 weeks. Benning didn't have to lie, or "pump Kassian's tires". Kassian played excellent, wouldn't matter if Benning said Kassian played terrible, excellent, or ok. All someone has to do is watch the games.

Which is saying something considering how bad of a deal maker Gillis was.

I seriously and honestly think Linden and Benning are way in over their heads and now with Gilman, Henning and Crawford being canned, there is literally nobody that is capable of tempering their stupidity. :shakehead

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'm really not convinced that Prust was acquired so that he can be flipped at the deadline. I think they want him around for the foreseeable future, doing his mentoring stuff and what have you.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
I seriously and honestly think Linden and Benning are way in over their heads and now with Gilman, Henning and Crawford being canned, there is literally nobody that is capable of tempering their stupidity. :shakehead

Enter John Weisbrod. After executing Order 66 on the Gillis regime guys he's going to corral Linden and Benning's inexperience and limited intelligence to run the show from behind the scenes. We are headed down the rabbit hole with this guy running things.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I'm really not convinced that Prust was acquired so that he can be flipped at the deadline. I think they want him around for the foreseeable future, doing his mentoring stuff and what have you.

Agreed. The way Benning talks about him - and his already praised Dorsett - I think it's more likely we re-sign Prust than trade him.

Enter John Weisbrod. After executing Order 66 on the Gillis regime guys he's going to corral Linden and Benning's inexperience and limited intelligence to run the show from behind the scenes. We are headed down the rabbit hole with this guy running things.

A terrible thought, really. I still cannot believe he practically squeed like a teenage girl who drafting Jankowski.

JA

I've added a few notes to the bottom of this post.
You know, Vancouver acquired Taylor Pyatt when he was 24 years old. Pyatt was picked eighth overall in 1999.

He's a guy with size who was frequently criticized for his lack of physicality.

Zack is 24.
Canucks deal for big winger: Vancouver picks up 6-foot-4 Taylor Pyatt from Buffalo: [Final Edition]
Pap, Elliott. Times - Colonist [Victoria, B.C] 15 July 2006: A16 FRONT.

Size still seems to matter in the new NHL.

For the second time this week, the Vancouver Canucks added a big body to their forward ranks, acquiring 6-4, 230-pound left-winger Taylor Pyatt from the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.

The 24-year-old Pyatt, who immediately agreed to a one-year contract, cost Vancouver a fourth-round pick in 2007. Earlier in the week, the Canucks came to terms with 6-5 unrestricted free agent centre Marc Chouinard.

"Yes, we have gotten bigger but we've added ability and speed along with it," said Canuck general manager Dave Nonis. "Where do we project Taylor to fit in? That's going to be up to him. We have several spots open in our lineup.

"He's still a very young guy with a lot of upside and he's capable of playing on either wing. I wouldn't say he's got Pavel Bure speed but once he gets moving, he's a very good skater."

Pyatt netted only six goals in 41 games with Buffalo last season, as he underwent wrist surgery and also suffered a concussion. He averaged 11:14 of ice time when he did play.

"You always have mixed emotions about leaving a team like Buffalo and we had a great ride this year," Pyatt said. "But at this stage of my career, I think I needed a change of scenery. I'm just excited."

A native of Thunder Bay, Pyatt was drafted eighth overall by the New York Islanders in 1999. (The second and third picks that year were Daniel and Henrik Sedin.) He played only one season on Long Island before being dispatched to Buffalo in the Mike Peca-Tim Connolly trade.

Pyatt has collected 42 goals and 98 points in 308 regular-season games with the Isles and Sabres.

"I thought I'd score more in the NHL," conceded Pyatt, whose career high of 14 goals occurred in the 2002-03 season. "I came into the league at a pretty young age [19] and I struggled with confidence quite a bit my first couple of years."

Grabbing a slice of Pyatt: CANUCKS: Trade for strong, young forward: [Final Edition]
Botchford, Jason. The Province [Vancouver, B.C] 16 July 2006: A66.

Unable to free up enough cash to lure the top-six forward they need, the Canucks have again turned their attention to the opposite end of the depth chart.

Bringing in former highly-regarded, first-round draft pick Taylor Pyatt in a trade with Buffalo gives the Canucks another big, defensively-aware forward to play on the team's third or fourth line.

Pyatt can skate exceptionally well considering he is 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, but his acquisition is another indication of how much emphasis the Canucks are putting on defensive responsibility this year.

"I want to be a good two-way forward," Pyatt said. "I want to get in on the forecheck and be physical. I want to come in and work as hard as I can."

Pyatt earned $989,720 US last year on the Sabres fourth line and was deemed a luxury the financially-strapped team couldn't afford.

At just 24 years old, Pyatt, the eighth player taken in the 1999 draft, still has plenty of unfulfilled potential. The Canucks got him for a fourth-round pick in 2007 and immediately signed him to a one-year deal. Terms of the contract were undisclosed but it's expected to be worth about $1 million.

The Sabres obtained Pyatt in the Mike Peca-Tim Connolly trade. He's long been a useful NHL player who didn't live up to some lofty expectations. He scored a career-high 14 goals and 28 points in 2002- 03.

"I came into the league at a pretty young age [19] and I think I struggled with confidence quite a bit in my first couple of years," Pyatt said. "And then last year I had a few injuries that were really tough to take. They came at times when I thought I was really starting to play well and when I was starting to contribute."

Size finally matters for Taylor Pyatt: [Final Edition]
Kuzma, Ben. Nanaimo Daily News [Nanaimo, B.C] 26 Sep 2006: B2.

Soft-spoken Taylor Pyatt has often been labelled Taylor Quiet by critics who wonder why the big winger's play has seldom matched his imposing size.

Those doubts may be disappearing.

Pyatt turned in a solid two-way performance Sunday during a 4-3 preseason shootout victory over the Anaheim Ducks at GM Place.

On a line with Brendan Morrison and Jan Bulis, the 6-foot-4, 210 pound left winger forechecked aggressively, created shooting lanes and screens. He had an assist and four shots on goal and the trio combined for eight shots.

"We created quite a few good opportunities and it was only my second game and my first chance to play with Brendan and Jan," said Pyatt who finished a plus-1 in 14:40 of playing time.

"I thought we had a pretty solid game."

At 25, there's still an upside in Pyatt who played just 41 regular-season games last season. He had 12 points and added five assists in 14 playoff games, but missed two months with a wrist injury and five more games with a head ailment.

On Sunday, there was nothing hurting in Pyatt's game. In the first period, he wheeled out of the corner and feathered a soft backhand pass to Bulis who scored to give the Canucks a 2-1 edge at 10:32. In a second-period sequence, Pyatt fought off checks to set up his linemates. And on a power play, he created an effective screen and nearly deflected a Mattias Ohlund point shot home.

In the third period, Pyatt spun off defenders down low for another good scoring chance. He then brushed off a check by Travis Green to set up Bulis before firing a good wrister to force Ilja Bryzgalov to make a stellar glove save with the game tied 3-3.

It was a snapshot performance of what the Canucks hope will be a full-length feature this season

"That's my style to get in on the forecheck and be physical by finishing my checks and be able to protect the puck around the net and in the corners," said Pyatt. "And I've got to make plays and I had some pretty good opportunities.

Vancouver hopes Pyatt is another late bloomer
Kerr, Grant. The Globe and Mail [Toronto, Ont] 20 Sep 2006: S.10.

Can big left winger blossom the same way Bertuzzi did when he became a Canuck?

It's hard to overlook Taylor Pyatt at practice when the new winger for the Vancouver Canucks swoops toward the net during a line rush.

The hulking player is a robust 6 foot 4 and 220 pounds, with wide shoulders and size 12 skates on his surprisingly quick feet.

He's hopeful the Canucks will provide him with an opportunity to succeed after he was found wanting by his previous National Hockey League clubs, the New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabres.

The Canucks obtained Pyatt this summer in a trade with Buffalo, hoping the 25-year-old from Thunder Bay might be a late developer, just as forward Todd Bertuzzi was a few years back.

Pyatt was limited to 41 regular-season games last season because of a wrist injury, scoring six goals and six assists. He got into 14 playoff games with Buffalo after an injury sidelined Tim Connolly.

"He's a big, strong guy who skates really well," Canucks assistant coach Mike Kelly said yesterday after a split-squad practice. The rest of the team was in Calgary for an exhibition game against the Flames. "He's got quick feet for a big guy, which is not an asset a big guy usually has.

"He has that, and good hands. I've known Taylor for a long time. He was a dominating junior [with the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League]. I think he's coming to the point where he understands his size can be a benefit, especially with the new rules.

"He can keep his feet moving and get good position on people, where a smaller player wouldn't be able to do that."

"I know I have to use my size to protect the puck and be physical in the corners and around the net. I'm still a young guy and believe my best hockey is still in front of me. I want to show Vancouver quickly what kind of player I can be."

Pyatt's confidence may have suffered after leaving junior hockey, when he went from a 40-goal season in Sudbury to four goals in 78 games with the Islanders.

"I'm excited about this fresh start," Pyatt said of his trade to the Canucks, which sent a fourth-round draft pick to the Sabres. "I know I can play physical, but it's also about skating and putting the puck in the net as well."
Pyatt really only had a few years left to "develop" once Vancouver acquired him. If Kassian doesn't see much improvement by the time he's 26, I don't know if we should expect him to be that much different from our other #9. Kassian's best point totals so far (as a 23 year old) are the same as Pyatt's best in Buffalo (as a 22 year old).

taylor_pyatt_2009_01_29.jpg

Works Cited

Botchford, Jason. "Grabbing a Slice of Pyatt: CANUCKS: Trade for Strong, Young Forward." The Province: A66. Jul 16 2006. ProQuest. Web. 6 July 2015 .

Kerr, Grant. "Vancouver Hopes Pyatt is another Late Bloomer." The Globe and MailSep 20 2006. ProQuest. Web. 6 July 2015 .

Kuzma, Ben. "Size Finally Matters for Taylor Pyatt." Nanaimo Daily News: B2. Sep 26 2006. ProQuest. Web. 6 July 2015 .

Pap, Elliott. "Canucks Deal for Big Winger: Vancouver Picks Up 6-Foot-4 Taylor Pyatt from Buffalo." Times - Colonist: A16 FRONT. Jul 15 2006. ProQuest. Web. 6 July 2015 .

I just also wanted to add that Jim Benning was responsible for drafting Taylor Pyatt... Benning became Buffalo's Director of Amateur Scouting in 1998, the year before Pyatt was selected.

And Benning left Buffalo after Pyatt was traded to Vancouver.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/2006-07-25-notes-recchi_x.htm
Notes: Pens again sign Recchi; Panthers land Belfour; Oilers keep Hemsky
Updated 7/26/2006 2:03 PM ET

Bruins make three front office, coaching hires

BOSTON — The Boston Bruins have named former NHL defenseman and longtime Buffalo Sabres executive Jim Benning their director of player personnel, the team announced Tuesday.

The team also announced that 15-year NHL veteran Doug Houda has been named assistant coach, and Wayne Smith has been hired as a regional scout.

Benning, 43, spent the last nine years as the Sabres director of amateur scouting. Benning was selected by the Toronto Maple Leafs as the sixth overall pick in the 1981 draft. He played nine seasons in the NHL, for Toronto and Vancouver.

He has seen this play out before.

Lindy Ruff, Kassian's first coach, also saw the same issues with Pyatt.
Pyatt will have to earn playing time;
Winger faces crowd among Sabres forwards

BYLINE: By Tim Graham - NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. D1
LENGTH: 771 words

Taylor Pyatt won't be able to ease himself back into the lineup. If he doesn't perform quickly, he might not be in a Buffalo Sabres uniform for long. Coach Lindy Ruff apparently has accepted the notion he may never unlock the tremendous promise many have seen in the colossal winger.

"I definitely think it's there," Ruff said Sunday of Pyatt's untapped potential. "It may not happen here. A lot of players it's taken a second team or a third team and all of the sudden, [the light has] gone on." The 6-foot-4, 227-pound Pyatt has been activated from injured reserve and could return Tuesday night against the Atlanta Thrashers in Philips Arena. He missed the last 26 games while recovering from a broken right wrist. While Pyatt has been absent, several younger, less experienced forwards have been summoned from the Rochester Americans and have produced.

"I know I have to come back and be an impact player," Pyatt said after practice in the Amherst Pepsi Center. "A lot of guys have come up from Rochester and played so well. I gotta come back and be a difference in every game, every shift." Ruff would love nothing more. Buffalo's eighth-year coach is placing the same onus on Pyatt as he has placed on winger J.P. Dumont, who returned from a sports hernia two games ago.

"We expect production," Ruff said. "It's not a case where we're trying to plunk somebody in and hope to get something done. If J.P. and Taylor aren't an asset for us in the lineup, then it's better to have a [Daniel] Paille or a Pominville or some of those guys playing and being a positive force for us. They have to step in and play well for us." Pyatt has three goals -- all in the same game -- and four assists in 17 games. But he had begun to pick up his game when he jammed his wrist into the boards. He logged a season-high 16:48 and had an assist two nights before the injury. The hat trick happened a week earlier.

"It was tough to take at the time," Pyatt said of his injury. "I was starting to play really well." Pyatt, 24, is in his fifth NHL season and is making $989,720. The New York Islanders made him the eighth overall pick, three spots after they took Tim Connolly, in the 1999 draft.

Ruff hasn't dismissed any comparisons made between Pyatt and Todd Bertuzzi, the 6-foot-3, 245-pound winger, who didn't blossom into a premier power forward until after the Islanders jettisoned him to the Vancouver Canucks. The change of scenery clearly did Bertuzzi a continent of good.

"Taylor has the ability with his offense to be a player that can score 20 goals in this league," Ruff said. "He has that physical size, and on a lot of nights you need that presence, for him to be physical and run over people and use that size around the front of the net."

Goals in successive games a boost for Pyatt
BYLINE: By John Vogl - NEWS SPORTS REPORTER
SECTION: SPORTS; Sabres notebook; Pg. D3
LENGTH: 617 words

The question surfaces and resurfaces every time Taylor Pyatt has a good game. Is this when it clicks? Is this when the Buffalo Sabres winger shows why he was drafted eighth overall in 1999?

One piece of evidence shows the answer is a definite maybe. For the first time since October 2003, Pyatt has goals in consecutive games. He scored the opening goal Wednesday night to get the Sabres started toward a 3-1 victory over the Montreal Canadiens in HSBC Arena.

"It definitely feels good, especially after not being in the lineup for three games," Pyatt said. "To be able to come back and contribute and play well is definitely a good feeling. I just want to play as well as I can the last three games and into the playoffs."

Pyatt also scored in Saturday's 6-2 victory over Ottawa, the first time since Oct. 23-24, 2003, that he's reached the score sheet in back-to-back games. The Senators contest was his first game back after being a healthy scratch in three straight and four of six.

"When he sat out he didn't get down about it or anything like that," center Paul Gaustad said. "I think it might have fueled him a little bit to come and play well. He's played great since he's been back."

Pyatt, playing on a line with Gaustad and fellow winger Thomas Vanek, helped the Sabres establish early dominance. He knocked Henrik Tallinder's shot out of mid-air past goalie Cristobal Huet just 2:51 into the game. Pyatt had a team-high five shots, including three in the opening period.

"He didn't get the quality ice time of some of our players, but he made the best of the ice time he did get," Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. "I thought he was our best player on the ice in the first period."

The goals have boosted Pyatt's total to six in 39 games. He missed 25 games with a fractured wrist, and he was a healthy scratch for 14.

"I want to just go in and play hard and do whatever I can to help this team win," Pyatt said. "I was a healthy scratch a few games there, and it's not very fun, especially this time of year when everyone's gearing up for the playoffs."

Unsung hero unknown even to teammates
BYLINE: By Bob DiCesare
SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. D1
LENGTH: 579 words
DATELINE: RALEIGH, N.C.

"It's a matter of getting in the lineup and making plays, not just going out there and being physical or being defensive about it," Pyatt said. "It's about trying to do everything. When I have a chance to make plays I got to do that and I got to contribute just like everyone else on the team. It's definitely been nice to get back in and contribute. It's been a heckuva ride with this team."

Pyatt's got it going after four exasperating seasons. He's having an impact on both ends. He's looking like he belongs. He's finally becoming part of the answer.
Here's Pyatt's pre-draft scouting report:
Top prospect Pyatt has finesse and power: [1 Edition]
Toronto Star [Toronto, Ont] 15 Nov 1998: 1.

Nelson Pyatt played seven years in the NHL for three teams and posted some respectable totals. All in all, it was a solid NHL career.

Nothing to disparage what Nelson Pyatt did, but much greater things are expected from Pyatt's 17-year-old son Taylor, a power forward for the Sudbury Wolves who is expected to be a top-10 choice in the 1999 entry draft.

Pyatt certainly has the size and, so far at least, the offensive credentials that go with being a top prospect.

He's a hulking force by Ontario Hockey League standards, standing 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds. In his first 18 games this season, he had nine goals and 21 points and was plus-2.

Ironically, though, Pyatt has shown more finesse than power as a junior.

He is a good skater for a big man and has shown a deft touch around the net, especially in tight. But scouts think he'll have to step up physical play and gain a better grasp of the power game. The left winger is projected as a top-line power forward at the NHL level.

As depressing as it sounds, most people want to see him use his brawn over his brain.

"He tends to rely on quickness and puck skills and tries to outsmart opponents rather than powering past them," said one scout. "At the NHL level, he'll have to rely on going to the net more as a power forward."

- Campbell
Top NHL draft prospects
SECTION: Sports; C2
LENGTH: 521 words
DATELINE: BOSTON

BOSTON -- Sketches of top 10 prospects in Saturday's NHL entry draft at the Fleet Center:

10. Taylor Pyatt, 17, Thunder Bay, six-foot- three, 220 pounds, left-winger for OHL's Sudbury Wolves. Son of Nelson Pyatt, who played seven seasons in the NHL in the 1970s. He won the fastest-skater competition at the Canadian Hockey League Prospects' Game. Skates with power and an impressive change of pace.
Works Cited

DiCesare, Bob. "Unsung hero unknown even to teammates." Buffalo News (New York). (May 22, 2006 Monday ): 579 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2015/07/06.

Graham, Tim. "Pyatt will have to earn playing time; Winger faces crowd among Sabres forwards." Buffalo News (New York). (January 30, 2006 Monday ): 771 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2015/07/06.

"Top NHL draft prospects." The Vancouver Sun (British Columbia). (June 26, 1999 , FINAL ): 521 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2015/07/07.

"Top Prospect Pyatt has Finesse and Power." Toronto Star: 1. Nov 15 1998. ProQuest. Web. 7 July 2015 .

Vogl, John. "Goals in successive games a boost for Pyatt." Buffalo News (New York). (April 13, 2006 Thursday ): 617 words. LexisNexis Academic. Web. Date Accessed: 2015/07/06.

Last edited by a moderator:

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
just got back from vacation so i'm a bit out of the loop.

wow, surprised they found any takers at all for kassian. thank-you montreal.

prust is a good pick-up. giving up a fifth sucks but zack apparently had little to no value throughout the league. time to wake up and smell the coffee zack...you're not as good as you think you are.

i'm afraid to read the thread. gonna guess it's filled with how can they trade youth for an older player posts

:cry:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Agreed. The way Benning talks about him - and his already praised Dorsett - I think it's more likely we re-sign Prust than trade him.

I third this opinion.
I highly doubt Benning thinks that far ahead.

Also...
I hate to admit that I watched a couple episodes of Hockey Wives...
But Prust's fiancee...
Who is a celebrity in Montreal...
Stated that she fears that Prust would be traded in one of the promos.

Then...
When Prust is actually traded...
Prust said in an article that she cried her eyes out.

It is very possible that this is a one and done deal.
Prust probably wants to sign closer to the east...
Because of his fiancee...
Even if the Canucks does offer extend him.

Regardless...
Like the show itself...
It is all very dumb.

Oh well.
I am numb by this point.
My only fear will be that the next time that I am surprised...
Because it will probably be a move that will set the franchise back for years.
:shakehead

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
just got back from vacation so i'm a bit out of the loop.

wow, surprised they found any takers at all for kassian. thank-you montreal.

prust is a good pick-up. giving up a fifth sucks but zack apparently had little to no value throughout the league. time to wake up and smell the coffee zack...you're not as good as you think you are.

i'm afraid to read the thread. gonna guess it's filled with how can they trade youth for an older player posts

:cry:

Are you sure you did not read any of this thread?
Are you some kind of wizard?
:amazed:

PricePkPatch*

To be fair, i suspect your GM could have had a better return, but didnt wanted trade Kassian to a Western team; in the event he establish himself as a genuine 20-25 goal scorer

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
To be fair, i suspect your GM could have had a better return, but didnt wanted trade Kassian to a Western team; in the event he establish himself as a genuine 20-25 goal scorer

If he thought there was even a remote chance that would happen then he had no business trading him for a 4th liner, let alone adding a pick.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

At this point...
I think that may very well be true.
One of the sports writer here...
When asked about Lack...
Said that even though better offers were there...
Benning wanted to ship him to the east...
So he took a lesser offer.

Last edited:

arsmaster*

Yeah, Benning really pumped his value: His and Willie, and Trevor's reactions to each goal and pretty play was really a glowing endorsement.

The guy got booted off the Bonino line in the first pre-season game = writing on the wall.

They never wanted to work with this player, they wanted to turn him into a guy who played a less skilled game, basically not playing to his strengths.

I hope we get to see it with that young fast Montreal team. They should be fun to watch.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
you can search it, I believe it was in the province, an entire article written on it. I wouldn't comment on why Kassian was traded for so little value until I read that article.

Saw the quote. Richardson was not calling him out. There was positive stuff in the quote and he said Kassian just has to work on his inexperience. Pretty much something every young player has to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad