Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks acquire G Casey DeSmith for F Tanner Pearson, 3rd Round Pick

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
honestly fine with this. pearson is probably happy to be out of this organization, and he goes to a situation in montreal where he can probably get minutes and add some veteran experience to a young rebuilding team.

desmith being a rumored pos** aside, is a pretty good goalie, and a lot better at this stage than an unproven silovs - who will likely still get some games in. assume they can move sawchenko/martin somewhere the moment there's a goalie injury.

good to see decisive action before camp to clear cap. this sort of trade probably isn't possible when teams start to see who is available on the waiver wire and/or fall in love with their own guys in camp and don't want to open up a roster spot.

**and it was a long time ago? i have no idea what he's like aside from rumblings

Reactions: bossram

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015
I am okay with it because i think this team needs someone like DeSmith. A third in 2025 to get rid of Pearson and get competent backup is not a bad value.

I mean, we f***ed him over about as hard as you can to a player honestly.
Yeah because the Canucks did his surgeries right.

Reactions: MarkMM

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
honestly fine with this. pearson is probably happy to be out of this organization, and he goes to a situation in montreal where he can probably get minutes and add some veteran experience to a young rebuilding team.

desmith being a rumored pos** aside, is a pretty good goalie, and a lot better at this stage than an unproven silovs - who will likely still get some games in. assume they can move sawchenko/martin somewhere the moment there's a goalie injury.

good to see decisive action before camp to clear cap. this sort of trade probably isn't possible when teams start to see who is available on the waiver wire and/or fall in love with their own guys in camp and don't want to open up a roster spot.

**and it was a long time ago? i have no idea what he's like aside from rumblings
I recall the Canucks absolutely ventilating De Smith in a game in Pittsburgh.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
I mean, we f***ed him over about as hard as you can to a player honestly.

Eh I'd like to eventually learn what went wrong here. There's no denying the Canucks medical staff have appeared to be grossly inept (Dickinson also had some sort of weird, long-term hand injury) but I'd like to learn a bit more before jumping to conclusions. The Canucks did also give the guy a ludicrous 3 x 3 contract as well lol so there's that.

In any case I'm somewhat pleasantly surprised the team was able to move out 1.2 million in salary without flushing another 2nd round pick down the toilet.

Last edited:

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011

I sincerely hope Pearson is ok but also that he exposes the team

It's a business. Players need to understand this. He is guarenteed his income and probably made more than he would have had he been a UFA. He could have signed a NMC or broadened a NTC.

Pearson was already on the downswing of his career with his lack of foot speed. It already became a concern in 2021.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
So you're an optimist, then.
If the Canucks are not a top 16 team in 2025, with a core of EP-Hughes-Demko-Miller-Kuzmenko, then we have a lot more to worry about than trading away a ****ing 3rd round pick.

We're at a stage where investment needs to happen into this core (and it already has), or the prime of EP, Hughes and Demko will be completely wasted. Paying a 3rd so we can actually have a 23 man roster is a no brainer.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
If the Canucks are not a top 16 team in 2025, with a core of EP-Hughes-Demko-Miller-Kuzmenko, then we have a lot more to worry about than trading away a ****ing 3rd round pick.

We're at a stage where investment needs to happen into this core (and it already has), or the prime of EP, Hughes and Demko will be completely wasted. Paying a 3rd so we can actually have a 23 man roster is a no brainer.

The fact that we were still in a position to HAVE to pay a 3rd rounder to be able to have a 23-man roster is ridiculous.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Not a fan of this trade. We needed cap flexibility and we get a capable backup goaltender (hopefully he isn't beating up women anymore).

We lose a 3rd. A health Pearson will probably net a 3rd to 5th at the deadline.

Nobody in history understood that extension and the timing
as Pettersson and Hughes still weren't signed
and we held onto him at the deadline despite missing the playoffs.

i remember when it was announced, everyone just went WHY?

A lot of people disliked the extension but there was nothing wrong with the timing. Either you sign and keep the player or you trade the pending UFA.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
From the second Jim Benning was fired, we were always going to have to pay multiple draft picks to get rid of his garbage. I'm actually surprised we've spent as little as we have.

To add, to everyone who said Benning was left to clean up a mess, this is what cleaning up a mess *actually* looks like.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria

I mean, yeah, it's fine. They had to pay a pick to get clear out one of their meh wingers, which everyone knew needed to happen. DeSmith is good as far as backups go.

This more like a "baseline competence" transaction to get the roster to a comfortable-level cap-wise and add a capable backup goaltender.

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
The fact that we were still in a position to HAVE to pay a 3rd rounder to be able to have a 23-man roster is ridiculous.
I agree with you, but it costs a lot to recover from a generationally horrific front office. The amount of damage JEB and JW did to this organization in the long term is unprecedented, and we still won't be over it until that OEL buyout runs out.

The current front office is actually making moves to salvage and supplement the young core that was able to be assembled from unintentionally sucking for so long.

I'd rather rip the bandaid off than make half-assed moves all to hold onto draft picks that would likely be 4-5 years away assuming they hit in the first place.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

The thing I'll mention again is that trading picks doesn't happen in a vacuum, and people don't seem to understand this.

The fact that a lot of picks were traded in the 2020 and 2021 drafts meant we didn't have a lot of players to sign ... which meant we had a ton of contract slots to sign Kuzmenko/Bains/Aman/Hirose/McWard/Johansson/Tolopilo.

People are all pretty happy with that group of players but don't seem to connect the dots that they only exist because we didn't have a group of our own draft picks to sign. And in most cases, the guys you're signing as FA prospects really aren't much better/worse than your own non-1st round picks.

And so when you trade away your 2025 3rd round pick ... it isn't for nothing. You're also getting back a contract slot to sign a different prospect like a Bains or a McWard or whoever.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
From the second Jim Benning was fired, we were always going to have to pay multiple draft picks to get rid of his garbage. I'm actually surprised we've spent as little as we have.
I get that, and I'm ok with some of it (cost of doing business and all)...but Benning has been gone for a couple of off-seasons now, some of this cap management is self inflicted....they made choices to sign players fully knowing that they were going to be leveraged into having to make bad deals because of their cap situation...its not debilitating by any stretch, but its frustrating to be still giving things away.

petterdaddy

Sponsor
Jul 1, 2023
Vancouver
Nobody in history understood that extension and the timing
as Pettersson and Hughes still weren't signed
and we held onto him at the deadline despite missing the playoffs.

i remember when it was announced, everyone just went WHY?
IIRC didn’t Horvat tell management he wanted Pearson extended and they caved? I could be misremembering but I recall something about it

Reactions: CherryToke

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Good riddance. I've wanted massive roster turnover since new mgmt came over and the best part of this coming season by far for me is going to be how few on ice remainders there are from the Benning bloat era.

Only Myers, Poolman and maybe Boeser left to scrub from the dark days.

IIRC didn’t Horvat tell management he wanted Pearson extended and they caved? I could be misremembering but I recall something about it
That was the rumour circulating at the time and it wouldn't be surprising at all, but I don't remember if it was ever verified or put forth by anyone credible.

Petey O

Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
The thing I'll mention again is that trading picks doesn't happen in a vacuum, and people don't seem to understand this.

The fact that a lot of picks were traded in the 2020 and 2021 drafts meant we didn't have a lot of players to sign ... which meant we had a ton of contract slots to sign Kuzmenko/Bains/Aman/Hirose/McWard/Johansson/Tolopilo.

People are all pretty happy with that group of players but don't seem to connect the dots that they only exist because we didn't have a group of our own draft picks to sign. And in most cases, the guys you're signing as FA prospects really aren't much better/worse than your own non-1st round picks.

And so when you trade away your 2025 3rd round pick ... it isn't for nothing. You're also getting back a contract slot to sign a different prospect like a Bains or a McWard or whoever.
Good point. With this FO's track record of being able to bring in both young international and college free agents (some of the most sought after, I might add), I am a lot more confident trading a 3rd round pick now than when dumb and dumber ran the FO. They're likely to replace the value of that pick for free, anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad