Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks acquire G Casey DeSmith for F Tanner Pearson, 3rd Round Pick

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Seriously?

Of course fans can complain about more assets being dealt away just to fix a terrible cap structure.

Obviously I'd rather not give up a 3rd, but that said - the Canucks got a serviceable NHL backup goalie (certainly better than Martin, which is a must if the plan is for Silovs to get the lion's share of starts in Abby) and we save cap space. It's not a bad trade. IMO.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Nobody in history understood that extension and the timing
as Pettersson and Hughes still weren't signed
and we held onto him at the deadline despite missing the playoffs.

i remember when it was announced, everyone just went WHY?

The players were obviously upset about losing Tanev, Toffoli, and Markstrom the year prior. So they didn't want Pearson to hit UFA. In a normal market it's probably a pretty fair deal. Maybe a slight overpay. But it was the flat cap era though, and Pearson level players were getting squeezed at the time. Also just completely oblivious to the fact that overpaying bottom half of the roster players is why we lost those players in the first place.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
But even with Pearson gone, aren't the Canucks still over the cap?

yeah but poolman is going on ltir permanently. they're under the cap when you take that into consideration

they can run pretty much any 23 man roster they want now. no cap space to add players though and they'll be into ltir from day one so no accruing space for the deadline

Reactions: MarkMM and Vector

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I remember driving home from somewhere and being so pissed off. Was legit in disbelief lol

Ray Ferraro was on TSN radio when they announced the extension
He was baffled
Just roasting Benning about he clearly has zero understanding of the cap

He was like Jim Benning is actually going with the negotiation approach with Pettersson and Hughes of
"this is what we have left........ take it or leave it"

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
a 2025th 3rd round pick to clean up some of Benning's mess. Don't see anyone having a real problem with this trade.
It's an improvement on the second rounder the Canucks had to cough up to get out from under another of Benning's contract imbroglios, Jason Dickinson.

Allvin really was left with a mess to clean up. Sadly the only way out from under some of these albatross contracts is to surrender draft picks.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Didn’t we just got an ECHL affiliate this season ?
Yeah, but I was hoping Tolopilo would compete for an AHL job.

Martin and Sawchenko can't be sent to the ECHL, so at best Tolopilo is 4th on Abbotsford's depth chart.

At least we shouldn't have a situation like DiPietro being forced to play against the Sharks this season.

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
Obviously I'd rather not give up a 3rd, but that said - the Canucks got a serviceable NHL backup goalie (certainly better than Martin, which is a must if the plan is for Silovs to get the lion's share of starts in Abby) and we save cap space. It's not a bad trade. IMO.
It depends how much you value draft picks vs. saving a small amount of cap space and a middling backup goalie.
Jamie, post the odds of a latter stage 3rd round pick becoming a productive NHL player.
Latter stage, huh?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
my follow-up thought with this is that from a real cash perspective, this was a third round pick in exchange for $1 million in real cash savings. Given that Myers would retain some value to be flipped at the deadline, I really don’t see why we would have to pay more than a third round pick to dump him based on this trade.

Like I think he should be value neutral

It's so hard to figure out player values right now.

Like, I expected it would cost a lot more than this to move Pearson if he couldn't go on LTIR.

And Desmith ... to me should actually have positive value? He's a top backup (positive GSAA every year of his career) on $1.8 million for 1 year. When you look at what Cam Talbot ($2 million) and James Reimer ($1.5 million) got last summer after worse seasons and they're 3-4 years older ... he's on a pretty good contract.

Myers to me should logically have positive value to an Arizona-type team given that his performance exceeds his cash salary and given that he'd command a decent asset at the deadline. But how the NHL market works is not logical.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
f*** you benning
1695161072028.png

Reactions: MarkMM and geebaan

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I forgot Benning gave Pearson a NTC for the first 2 years of the deal

Guy just got absolutely manhandled by agents in contract structure.

not to mention the BACKLOADED signing bonus, another tyler myers special making him less attractive

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
basically paid a 3rd round pick to swap pearson and martin for suter/blueger and desmith. not great but not terrible

Reactions: CanuckCity

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
I like this (in context). We can be cap compliant with Poolman on LTIR now.

Have DeSmith work with Ian Clarke and maybe he could hold some small value at the deadline, he has shown spurts of very solid play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad