Confirmed with Link: [VAN/MTL] Canucks acquire G Casey DeSmith for F Tanner Pearson, 3rd Round Pick

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
For the situation we were in, getting rid of that contract and getting a backup which we needed for a 3rd is pretty good

Reactions: MarkMM

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Why do we have so many AHL goalies?

I've said all along that Martin isn't good enough, and DeSmith is certainly an improvement. But why sign Sawchenko? Even before this trade Tolopilo was going to struggle to get starts.

Reactions: BrentSopelsHair

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
So Allvin has a draft pick phobia too?

Pearson off the books makes a roster spot...so cool I guess.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Fair enough. Moves a garbage contract without having to touch any significant assets.

Biggest thing out of this is that we now have WAY too many goalies. Surprised they didn't tuck Sawchenko back to Montreal in this or something.

This is my takeaway too.

DeSmith gives us a more reliable backup solution for Demko than Martin is. Have to think the plan is for Silovs to start the lion's share of games in Abbotsford. But barring waiver claims or trades, we're going to have a real logjam somewhere.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Considering clearing 1.45 mil of cap cost a 3rd on about the same level of player (forward version) of Myers, surely dumping Myers would cost something equivalent to a late first to dump completely, no?

Will probably have to retain 50% and hope to be able to dump him for a 2nd based on these prices, if that's the play.

Unfortunate cap situation for the Canucks right now.

As someone mentioned, I think the play is retaining on Boeser to the right team and hoping to get out of that contract without paying much. Does that 'right team' exist, though?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
DeSmith almost got the Pens into the playoffs last year when Jarry shat the bed. Am I remembering wrong?

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
This is probably about the best outcome expected. Move on from Pearson at minimal cost and upgrade backup goaltending until they want to bring up Silovs. Should be just under $600K under the cap with a 23 man roster now.

Reactions: MarkMM and bh53

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
I like the trade for Vancouver.

DeSmith is a much more established goaltender than either Silovs or Martin and you would have to think that Rutherford and Allvin are comfortable on acquiring him after having him in Pittsburgh.

He also has experience being the starter for stretches should Demko get injured at any point. That difference between 2-4 points from your backup goalie might be difference between making the playoffs or not.

It’s an insurance policy that is worth the 3rd round pick IMO.

I wonder if Spencer Martin might be on the move. I’ve speculated before that there could be a place for him back with Colorado as long as Francois is injured.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Nobody in history understood that extension and the timing
as Pettersson and Hughes still weren't signed
and we held onto him at the deadline despite missing the playoffs.

i remember when it was announced, everyone just went WHY?
Tbh, i wasn’t that surprised cause that’s just the most Benning thing to do

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I appreciate a legit backup behind Demko, but this does clog up the pipes a bit. Was hoping Tolipilo would get AHL reps.
I'd be shocked if the Canucks held on to DeSmith to any length of time. There's still a couple of teams out there looking for goaltending help. Wouldn't shock me if Allvin trades him and recovers a draft pick he lost in the Pearson deal..

But even with Pearson gone, aren't the Canucks still over the cap?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
my follow-up thought with this is that from a real cash perspective, this was a third round pick in exchange for $1 million in real cash savings. Given that Myers would retain some value to be flipped at the deadline, I really don’t see why we would have to pay more than a third round pick to dump him based on this trade.

Like I think he should be value neutral

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
Nobody in history understood that extension and the timing
as Pettersson and Hughes still weren't signed
and we held onto him at the deadline despite missing the playoffs.

i remember when it was announced, everyone just went WHY?
I remember driving home from somewhere and being so pissed off. Was legit in disbelief lol

Reactions: Grip it N RYP it

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
On one hand, it still sucks to run a deficit on picks.

On the other, recent history suggests these picks have a low percentage chance of turning out. The organization has done well in signing college free agents or taking flyers on older prospects who have fallen out of favour on other clubs. McWard and Hirose are examples of these sort of guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad