TSN: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
The book on him is clear. Once he targets a player, he will basically give you whatever non #1 draft picks you want to make the deal happen. For a guy that proclaims to love the draft, he sure loves to give away draft picks.

And only sometimes can you understand why he targets a player. I mean, Granlund? Are you ******** me? What's this guy good at? Bloody nothing. Months later and all I can think of is Weibrod was still attached to him from Calgary, and Shinkaruk probably went to a nightclub and talked to girls or went on twitter or something and was so judged as not being the cherubic, wholesome character kinda guy Benning loves.

But anyway, back on topic.

Welcome, Gudbranson.

GTFO, Benning, Weisbrod, Linden, Lidster, Delorme, and anyone else who still sucks but somehow has a job here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
funny. and:

175. Marc Methot (good shutdown D)
176. Connor Murphy (another young shutdown D)
182. our own Ben Hutton
186. Darnell Nurse
187. Ristolainen (He's horrible eh)
195. Adam Larsson
197. Jonas Brodin (another horrible dman)
199. Tyson Barrie ????
200. Cody Ceci (How did he make team Canada at the worlds?)
202. Erik Johnson (what a bust)
205. Andy Greene (why did Jersey name him captain?)
206. Beauchemin (washed up)

That list doesn't support your argument very well.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
After a couple hours of thinking though I don't love the move but the reality is gudbs is a top4 dman who just was playing 24+minutes a night in the playoffs (35,34 the last 2 games) who is 24 years old.

On another note we can compare this trade to the griffin reinhart trade, Edmonton gave up 16th overall and 33rd overall for him and i think that is more value than McCann+33rd and i think erik is a better NHL player.

Top 5 based on what? Jim Benning? How many games of his have you watched? Cuz that Florida fan on the last page said he's more of a bottom pairing guy which is inline with his skillet.

And just because Edmonton overpaid for a bust doesn't mean we have too.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
The most ridiculous part about this is that one month ago Benning was going on and on about it being a faster league and now he's all about big tough match-up D because he watched a couple Sharks/Blues games.

What's even funnier is that he can watch the talent at forward on the Sharks and Blues and think, "wow, look at these match-up D".

Benning is just not a smart hockey man. I'd prefer Mike Millbury, who occasionally walked into a decent trade. I'd take Mike Keenan.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So Gudranson's biggest critic thinks that he can be passable as a number 4? A far cry from what you've been saying.....there's other Panther fans that think he can become a top 3 guy but you only acknowledge posts where someone somewhat agrees with you. :laugh:

He said but realistically a 3rd pairing guy. Which is consistent with what the stats say.

There are some Canucks fans who think that Jim Benning is doing a good job and that Luca Sbisa is a good defenseman. Doesn't mean their opinions are informed.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Got it, you can read the future

It's not exactly an outrageous guess considering Gudbranson has been in the league for 5 years and has fluctuated from terrible to bad to decent.

Much closer to a better Sbisa than a worse Tanev that some Benning apologists are suggesting he is.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
After a couple hours of thinking though I don't love the move but the reality is gudbs is a top4 dman who just was playing 24+minutes a night in the playoffs (35,34 the last 2 games) who is 24 years old.

On another note we can compare this trade to the griffin reinhart trade, Edmonton gave up 16th overall and 33rd overall for him and i think that is more value than McCann+33rd and i think erik is a better NHL player.

You mean the two games that went into double overtime?

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm not sure, wasn't really certain where you were going with it since it veered so far off from the discussion. Running away or cracking wise?

Really, it came down to using such a dramatic word like "abomination" when discussing a hockey trade, I think we could all use a little perspective here.

Just reminded me of a nutjob going on about something that most people would say "who really cares, just let it be" in regards to what really matters in the world.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
The most ridiculous part about this is that one month ago Benning was going on and on about it being a faster league and now he's all about big tough match-up D because he watched a couple Sharks/Blues games.

What's even funnier is that he can watch the talent at forward on the Sharks and Blues and think, "wow, look at these match-up D".

Benning is just not a smart hockey man. I'd prefer Mike Millbury, who occasionally walked into a decent trade. I'd take Mike Keenan.

But Gudbranson can skate.....

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It's not exactly an outrageous guess considering Gudbranson has been in the league for 5 years and has fluctuated from terrible to bad to decent.

Much closer to a better Sbisa than a worse Tanev that some Benning apologists are suggesting he is.

Is anyone even a Benning apologist? I think people are just sticking up for Erik Gudbranson.

flapanthersfan

May 5, 2010
Miami, FL
So Gudranson's biggest critic thinks that he can be passable as a number 4? A far cry from what you've been saying.....there's other Panther fans that think he can become a top 3 guy but you only acknowledge posts where someone somewhat agrees with you. :laugh:

well, let's not take what i said out of context.

what i meant by that is that yes, gudranson can play a #4 role and do a reasonable job.

but if you're serious about winning the stanley cup, he probably shouldn't be any higher than the third pairing. he's too one-dimensional.

he's a #4/5 guy. He's not, and will never be, a top-3 d-man.

defensmen as physical as he is are rare nowadays, though, which is probably the reasoning behind the overpayment.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Top 5 based on what? Jim Benning? How many games of his have you watched? Cuz that Florida fan on the last page said he's more of a bottom pairing guy which is inline with his skillet.

And just because Edmonton overpaid for a bust doesn't mean we have too.

Most florida fans actually say he is a second pairing guy on the panthers board, but thats neither here nor there. I agree with the last sentence.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
This just keeps getting worse and worse.

Just when u think it cant get worse Benning goes and gives away the future for this crap. Im so angry right now seriously how is Benning a GM? I dont get it he is destroying this team. Is his job to destroy us??? Like for real this is beyond brutal :rant:

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
It's the usual suspects when it comes to defending Bennings' dumb trades. He could trade the 5th overall pick for Adam McQuaid and they'll be like "but picks are a lottery look at all the 5th overall busts. McQuaid is a proven NHL player". Lol. Smh.

This is absurd and I count myself among those not sure what to make of this trade. If the guy is another Willie Mitchell, who helped LA to a title after being booted by Gillis for Ballard, than this is a clear win unless McCann starts averaging 50+ points per season. Of course they could both come well short but McCann is the bigger risk since he has farther to go. Guessing management views either PLD or Katchuk as more of a sure thing than McCann, which is part of the reason they do this now.

Fascinating that the 2nd is being most often cited why this is a brutal trade. Not a fan of its inclusion but it only represents sub 25% chance the pick goes on to play 300 NHL games - that's good, poor and everything in between games.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
For those who find Benning's trades to be solid, I'll put this out there to get your feedback:

Trades Garrison, a stay at home defenseman with a big shot signed for 4 more years for a mid 2nd round pick

Two years later:

Trades a center with a 200 ft game, decent offense and grit who's tracking well (straight into the NHL), plus a very high 2nd round pick, plus a high 4th round pick for ....

A stay at home defenseman with a big shot under contract for one year.

If you can't see why fans take issue with Benning's trades then either you're being disingenuous or you've got a limited ability to be objective.

Garrison and Gudbranson are the same? I missed garrison's physical play and that he was 24 when we traded him. I do not like giving up the assets. Not sure I like the trade but this is nonsense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad