TSN: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
So the fact that everyone in the hockey world seems to think the Canucks were fleeced except for Florida fans on a message board indicates to you that the Canucks did okay?

Uhhhhh.

Whose evreyone in the hockey world? The only people that I have seen not like Gudbranson are people that only take analytics into account.

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
It was suggested on 1040 that the Canucks are pretty sure they can draft Dubois. Perhaps Benning has been told by Chiarrelli that they are taking a d-man or Tkachuk?

Doubt Chiarelli exposes himself like that, they were friends but now they must be rivals
Heck this could be a pre-curser to a bigger trade where we move Edler or who knows with benning Tanev or Hutton
It's all so cray

vannuckles

DieBettmanDie
Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C
tumblr_naeo2gPi291spm17no1_500.gif

Where does one find this magic bottle of Johnny, that leaves your glass and bottle permanently full ?????

dc

May 11, 2010
Monterrey, Mexico
Trash value for what we gave up.

I'm sure you said the exact same thing when Vancouver dealt away Grabner and Hodgson in the past 6 years or so.

Was Grabner for Ballard that bad in hindsight? Grabner was a flash in the pan who has fizzled off the radar to become a non-impact journeyman player, when at 28 he should still be producing. Ballard was obviously a huge disappointment and has since retired.

Hodgson for Kassian seemed like a lopsided deal based on skill. Again, did your analytics tell you that Hodgson would transform from a potential stud into a giant plug, and that Kassian would be the one still in the show, despite being on 3 different teams in 1 year?

Stop bragging about knowing 'analytics.' You can't predict 5 years into the future. Stop trying, it's sad.

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Maybe Benning was shopping for a McQuaid type player for the Canucks. Anyways this guy can sure land some hammers and throw hits. Adds size on the back. Not so happy about the picks.

Alright... it's finally soaked/sunk in abit. I think.... I have come to terms with losing the 33rd pick.

During Benning's interview this afternoon with TSN1040 (link="https://soundcloud.com/tsn-radio-vancouver/benning-full"), he had said, "I think it was a steep price to pay... We've been making alot of phone calls to add a top 4 defenceman to our group ... [and we knew it] wasn't going to be something that was going to be easy. We looked at the.. the [Dougie] Hamilton deal where they gave up a 1st and two 2nds* ... the [Griffin] Reinhart deal where they give up the 15th and 33rd picks** to get him so we knew it was going to hurt a little bit and it does in moving forward [with] Jared.... He [Erik Gudbranson] came into his own this year."

*Dougie Hamilton deal: Boston trades Dougie Hamilton to Calgary Flames for the 15th, 45th and 52nd pick of the 2015 NHL Draft:
15th: Zachary Senyshyn (RW)
45th: Jakob Forsbacka-Karlsson (C)
52nd: Jeremy Lauzon (D)

**Griffin Reinhert deal: New York Islanders trades Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton Oilers for the 15th and 33rd picks:
Was actually 16th: Mathew Barzal (C)
33rd pick: The Edmonton Oilers’ second-round pick went to the Tampa Bay Lightning as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that sent the Rangers’ first-round pick in 2015 (28th overall) to the New York Islanders in exchange for Florida’s third-round pick in 2015 (72nd overall) and this pick.
The Islanders previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 26, 2015 that sent Griffin Reinhart to Edmonton in exchange for Pittsburgh’s first-round pick in 2015 (16th overall) and this pick. (Wikipedia)

I think it's a fair hockey deal as much as the 33rd stings.. but adding Gudbranson to our team after his outing last year gave a glimpse to what he could add to our defensive group for the next 3 to 5 years. DAMN! That Hendricks fight:yo::handclap::sarcasm:.... Gudbranson's character would add to our group.. Professionalism... Hard work... Standing up for teammates... Canadian-ness (I think it means shutting the fk up, working hard and doing your job -- obviously Canadians lead and do this only on the ice .. because when we're at work, we on HERE baby to rant about our concerns than reading the garbage some news outlets here write). Tryamkin could learn from him. The intangibles, baby......Also, Gudbranson has been playing with Willie Mitchell for 2 seasons... I had toyed a couple years into the future (YES! IT was FORETOLD to me many 2 years ago.. but I didn't pay so much as Jared McCann (because there was none of course as it was in NHL14) as the Canucks GM with Gudbranson solidifying my d corp back in NHL14 Be a GM mode already to a couple back-to-back Stanley Cups (that's as far as my credentials go)... Anyways forget my NHL rant...

Judging by that video, I like it... He makes us nasty to play against. I just hope he doesn't start out like Brandon Sutter and play 20 games... *TOUCH WOOD PLEASE*.... I think especially with some of our higher end defense prospects being smaller (Stecher and Subban); it'll make our team that much stronger as a unit, difficult to play against for our opponents, and further reinforcement of the mentality of standing up for each other. Maybe it will bring out some Torey Krug flavors from Stecher and Subban (if they hadn't already).

I miss Jared McCann. I miss him already. The guy is solid. Plays with real character and has finesse with the puck. He's a competitor. He hates losing. You can just tell the way from the way he plays. But this is the NHL.. you got to be putting points day in and day out. He's 19. So I think for a 19 year old to have come in here and really listened to what people had to say to teach him how to be a professional. I thought he did really well. I have been feverishly lobbying to keep McCann in the Roster & Fantasy GM Thread VIII. I guess the drawback was I had hoped that we could draft Tyler Benson or Ty Ronning. But that being said, I don't mind the deal because I thought the Panther

This past season, as a fan, I had seen this franchise at a crossroad of finding an identity within the team. I think we just have to put faith in the Canucks' new core that's slowly revealing itself (as I have yet to come to terms with it) within the 24 to 28 year mark: Brandon Sutter (27 years old) and Erik Gudbranson (24 years old). The moves have been made.... Jumping the market this time, Jim... instead of waiting till draft day. As my co-worker said to me (right after the trade), "I don't hate the trade, but I don't love it."

GO CANUCKS GO M&THAF**KERS!! Hey, they're my m&thaf**kers, a'''ight?

Let's sign him long-term (4 to 7 years) at $4 to $4.25m range.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Garrison and Gudbranson are the same? I missed garrison's physical play and that he was 24 when we traded him. I do not like giving up the assets. Not sure I like the trade but this is nonsense

So, the big difference for you is the age? That's true. However, Garrison was cost controlled. Gudbranson will be up for a hefty raise in a year but is much younger.

They both play basically the same crease clearing defensive rolls, although they do it in different ways.

Either way, the team replaced Garrison with a younger player who will be asked to play a similar roll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad