TSN: [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldsteel79

Sep 28, 2015
sask
This is not true at all.

I've been Gudbranson's biggest critic on the Florida boards for YEARS (and have gotten banned from there several times to due debates I've had with people defending Gudbranson.

His first three seasons in the NHL, Gudbranson was absolutely atrocious. He was not an NHL caliber player.

The last two, his game evolved to the point where he was a legitimately responsible defensman.

That being said, he is what is is. He's a passable second pairing defensman, but realistically a 3rd pairing guy on a competitive team. He doesn't have the possession/transition game you would want playing top-4 minutes for you though. Zero offensive ability.

He's not worth what you gave up but to say his game hasn't evolved isn't true at all.

Haven't seen McCann play too much so any input on him would be appreciated. Only thing I remember about him is that he's fast as ****.

He's fast can really rip the puck, may have a bad attitude but don't know, and Benning thinks he'll be a top 6 player in the league. I doubt he'll make it as a centre though

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
*buncha pissed of Panthers fans*

Damn that looks awfully familiar. When both sides hate it it's probably fair value.

I actually understand why Panthers fans would be pissed. He fits their team and while a player like McCann is great to have in your pipeline, they picks won't help now. They must have something else coming in on defense and they've got more assets now with this trade.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
So he's 24 in five years he'll be 29, Hutton will be 27? Tanev in his 30's tyramkin 26?. These guys will be the backbone for horvat, boeser, Dubois, baertschi, virt and next years pick in their prime. I like this model.

Looks like a pretty terrible core to be honest.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
This is not true at all.

I've been Gudbranson's biggest critic on the Florida boards for YEARS (and have gotten banned from there several times to due debates I've had with people defending Gudbranson.

His first three seasons in the NHL, Gudbranson was absolutely atrocious. He was not an NHL caliber player.

The last two, his game evolved to the point where he was a legitimately responsible defensman.

That being said, he is what is is. He's a passable second pairing defensman, but realistically a 3rd pairing guy on a competitive team. He doesn't have the possession/transition game you would want playing top-4 minutes for you though. Zero offensive ability.

He's not worth what you gave up but to say his game hasn't evolved isn't true at all.

Haven't seen McCann play too much so any input on him would be appreciated. Only thing I remember about him is that he's fast as ****.

Exactly what I've been saying, but a lot of people don't want to believe that.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Have been thinking about this deal further. It's not one of Benning's really really bad deals like Granlund for Shinkaruk where I have no vague idea why we traded for the player we got. Our d sucks. RD, tough, can actually defend...might make a good pairing with Hutton, who can actually move the puck...okay. I'm willing to give Gudbranson an honest shot.

The BOGO pricing every other GM in the league gets from us HAS to go. I mean, jesus. How the hell does he ever expect to make any kind of even trade? Every single ****ing transaction Benning does is like walking around carrying a flashing neon sign over his head that says: SUCKER.

Worst negotiator in the NHL. THE WORST.

Johnny Canuck

Jun 19, 2008
Michigan
Benning said how Florida, really wanted Mccan.. he was dealing from a position of strength.. I really like this pick up, but why can't this guy figure out his asset management.

Mccan isn't fast as ****. he's shifty. high IQ, good shot, can find open seams. Needs to add some strength, and can be a solid 2nd line center, on a contending team.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Real good Jim Benning quote:

"I don’t know if we would have had that (McCann trade) in consideration, but Jared was a guy Florida really wanted in the deal,†added Benning. “But we had depth at centre and now we have the potential to add another top-six forward to our group."

Reminds me of the Sutter deal - "They really wanted Clendening in the deal". Proceeds to also downgrade 2nd round pick to 3rd pick.

In this deal he adds a high 2nd and downgrades from a 4th to 5th. Just bleeds assets out of his ass.

Only have 5 draft picks next year too it's just an awful position to be in.

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
McCann 100% deserved to make the team. His pre-season play and first dozen games were amongst the best of any forward not named Sedin. Yes he faded and could have been sent to SSM later in the season but that isn't the same as saying he didn't deserve to make the team. It also didn't help that Willie D completely misused the kids in the first third of the season with his stupid 3rd period benchings and refusal to play them in OT. Meanwhile game after game the vets on the team blew leads and bled goals in OT ...

Lets be real here. Willie D is a junior coach. Under AV, these kids wouldn't have touched the NHL ice no matter how McCann played.

farshi

Feb 28, 2012
After a couple hours of thinking though I don't love the move but the reality is gudbs is a top4 dman who just was playing 24+minutes a night in the playoffs (35,34 the last 2 games) who is 24 years old.

On another note we can compare this trade to the griffin reinhart trade, Edmonton gave up 16th overall and 33rd overall for him and i think that is more value than McCann+33rd and i think erik is a better NHL player.

TheWolf*

May 3, 2015
Have been thinking about this deal further. It's not one of Benning's really really bad deals like Granlund for Shinkaruk where I have no vague idea why we traded for the player we got. Our d sucks. RD, tough, can actually defend...might make a good pairing with Hutton, who can actually move the puck...okay. I'm willing to give Gudbranson an honest shot.

The BOGO pricing every other GM in the league gets from us HAS to go. I mean, jesus. How the hell does he ever expect to make any kind of even trade? Every single ****ing transaction Benning does is like walking around carrying a flashing neon sign over his head that says: SUCKER.

Worst negotiator in the NHL. THE WORST.

The book on him is clear. Once he targets a player, he will basically give you whatever non #1 draft picks you want to make the deal happen. For a guy that proclaims to love the draft, he sure loves to give away draft picks.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I still cant believe this is happening. Are poor poor Canucks are the joke of the league bringing in more awful defensemen to a terrible team well at the same time gutting are future. Bye-bye shot of Mccann. Bye-bye 33 overall :cry:

What a joke. This is the worst one yet. This Grubindson or whatever he wants to be called is brutal. I cant even stumoch this :rant:

Reactions: vancityluongo

Rey

Jan 11, 2007
Lets be real here. The Canuck team is a completely **** show but you have to start somewhere. You ain't getting A Level prospects like Edmonton got and the Aquilinis don't wanna go that route, so you overpay for guys that haven't reached their prime yet and haven't done as well.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Got it, you can read the future

No, but I do understand hockey and I do understand hockey analytics.

But then again this is the Benning regime so I guess "herp derp scrums and he can make the boards make that loud boom sound that gets the crowd in it" That should keep some people happy.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Exactly what I've been saying, but a lot of people don't want to believe that.

So Gudranson's biggest critic thinks that he can be passable as a number 4? A far cry from what you've been saying.....there's other Panther fans that think he can become a top 3 guy but you only acknowledge posts where someone somewhat agrees with you. :laugh:

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is not true at all.

From what I've seen, he's a guy that is a good fit with someone who can move the puck. Someone like Campbell, for example. He won't play nearly as well with a defensive only guy. I would *hope* analytics would bore that out, but I'm not sure.

He's a great fit with someone like Hutton, or even Edler. Hopefully he's not near Sbisa, but WD thought Bieksa/Sbisa would make sense so who knows.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
I would have rather have added a significant piece for Barrie.

McCann Virtanen 33 for signed Barrie rather than this.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
The book on him is clear. Once he targets a player, he will basically give you whatever non #1 draft picks you want to make the deal happen. For a guy that proclaims to love the draft, he sure loves to give away draft picks.

It makes the team better in the short term, but really, they have no real shot of contending. 4 years in diff age was the max he should have gone. But, for crying out loud, to trade #33 as well. OMG!

The epitome of a team that will be mediocre.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Real good Jim Benning quote:

"I don’t know if we would have had that (McCann trade) in consideration, but Jared was a guy Florida really wanted in the deal,†added Benning. “But we had depth at centre and now we have the potential to add another top-six forward to our group."

Literally can't tell if this is real or not.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Of the 210 defenseman who played over 400 minutes in the NHL last season, Gudbranson ranks 174th in Corsi%.

funny. and:

175. Marc Methot (good shutdown D)
176. Connor Murphy (another young shutdown D)
182. our own Ben Hutton
186. Darnell Nurse
187. Ristolainen (He's horrible eh)
195. Adam Larsson
197. Jonas Brodin (another horrible dman)
199. Tyson Barrie ????
200. Cody Ceci (How did he make team Canada at the worlds?)
202. Erik Johnson (what a bust)
205. Andy Greene (why did Jersey name him captain?)
206. Beauchemin (washed up)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad