Confirmed with Link: [VAN/AZ] 9th OA, 2022 2nd, 2023 7th, Roussel, Beagle, and Eriksson for OEL (12% ret) and Garland

CoyoteDave

Dec 12, 2016
Cave Creek
RT will need to change his coaching "spots" to be successful. Nothing in his coaching history shows that he has the ? to be a head coach.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
RT will need to change his coaching "spots" to be successful. Nothing in his coaching history shows that he has the ? to be a head coach.
That’s why he’s an analyst now, along with his buddy Wayne. At least Wayne always had intelligent analysis.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I was just watching a post trade interview w. Garland, hadn't watched any yet really. Typical "excited to be going to a great city, great team yada, yada." But, it was a surprise to hear him say "I figured I was gonna be traded this offseason."

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I was just watching a post trade interview w. Garland, hadn't watched any yet really. Typical "excited to be going to a great city, great team yada, yada." But, it was a surprise to hear him say "I figured I was gonna be traded this offseason."

Writing is on the wall when you're the #1 offensive threat and the team slow rolls signing you.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Writing is on the wall when you're the #1 offensive threat and the team slow rolls signing you.

Very true. I think at the time I was naively thinking there was nothing to worry about because... it's Garland. Not realizing just how much TNT Armstrong was gonna use to blow it up didn't help haha! At the time I lightly figured we'd lose him, but not until later in the rebuild.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Very true. I think at the time I was naively thinking there was nothing to worry about because... it's Garland. Not realizing just how much TNT Armstrong was gonna use to blow it up didn't help haha! At the time I lightly figured we'd lose him, but not until later in the rebuild.
The Keller interview on Cam & Strick was really encouraging because Keller obviously packed on some muscle, and was highly motivated. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove something. That's all great. It was also cool to hear him talk about taking Hayton under his wing, and focussing on more of a leadership role. I liked a lot of what I heard.

But there was something at the very top of the interview (maybe even the first or second question) that was a touch unsettling. They asked him something about his team or his teammates and he gave a reply like "which team?" or "what teammates?" and mumbled something about their being nobody left. It wasn't a big deal. It was two seconds and he mumbled it. But it was clear as day that he feels pissed off that the entire team got blown up. It's kinda like the Chychrun crying emoji after the Dvorak trade.

Some of that is natural. They're all friends and now they're all gone. It's a bummer. But I do worry about a couple of things:

1) Did Keller and Chychrun actually think that core was even close to good enough? Do they actually think that the core, as assembled, earned anything or was owed anything? Chayka's core was not only woefully mediocre but ALSO pathetically underachieving. What Chayka built was absolutely rotten. I don't like the idea of Chychrun or Keller thinking that core was okay. It was not okay. Did "Bro-hockey" already creep in and stain these two?

2) Are they disgruntled and will they hold a grudge? Will 25 win season lead to trade demands? Or if we don't get Wright and decide to go for Bedard, are they going to have fits?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Keller interview on Cam & Strick was really encouraging because Keller obviously packed on some muscle, and was highly motivated. He clearly has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove something. That's all great. It was also cool to hear him talk about taking Hayton under his wing, and focussing on more of a leadership role. I liked a lot of what I heard.

But there was something at the very top of the interview (maybe even the first or second question) that was a touch unsettling. They asked him something about his team or his teammates and he gave a reply like "which team?" or "what teammates?" and mumbled something about their being nobody left. It wasn't a big deal. It was two seconds and he mumbled it. But it was clear as day that he feels pissed off that the entire team got blown up. It's kinda like the Chychrun crying emoji after the Dvorak trade.

Some of that is natural. They're all friends and now they're all gone. It's a bummer. But I do worry about a couple of things:

1) Did Keller and Chychrun actually think that core was even close to good enough? Do they actually think that the core, as assembled, earned anything or was owed anything? Chayka's core was not only woefully mediocre but ALSO pathetically underachieving. What Chayka built was absolutely rotten. I don't like the idea of Chychrun or Keller thinking that core was okay. It was not okay. Did "Bro-hockey" already creep in and stain these two?

2) Are they disgruntled and will they hold a grudge? Will 25 win season lead to trade demands? Or if we don't get Wright and decide to go for Bedard, are they going to have fits?
Who knows what they are thinking. I can't remember a rebuild where you traded four of your best five or six players for mostly draft picks. This could work, but it also has a chance to back fire big time. Before, the players we had didn't have much leverage, besides OEL, because they didn't have the talent. Chychrun and Keller now have leverage because of their talent, but I believe they will wait and see what happens this year, and maybe next, and then decide.

Reactions: Kai Yo T and RemoAZ

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

It's normal to long for teammates that you've gone through so much with, who were like brothers to you. It doesn't mean he thought they were the core that would lead the Coyotes to the promised land, nor does it indicate being disgruntled. He simply misses his bros.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona

I think the fact that they traded talented guys young enough to build around is what bothers him the most. Dvo and Garland were 25 year old guys that played the game the right way. You dump OEL, Kessel, Kuemper and even Schmaltz and I think they see it as a team rebuilding. You trade guys that could be building blocks by nuking the team to the ground and the two young guys left are staring at multiple years of playing with garbage heap teammates. That has to be soul crushing. Yeah they are rich professional hockey players but imagine knowing the odds are you're going to get crushed night in and night out and that is what the organization planned. That's going to be tough to deal with mentally.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Did "Bro-hockey" already creep in and stain these two?

I hope that Chychrun & Keller are still here, both playing well for the Coyotes, but what I mostly care about is a successful rebuild whether they're a part of it in the end or not.

It's gonna play out how it's gonna play out. If they do eventually want out hopefully we can use those assets and make them regret it later on lol.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
This could work, but it also has a chance to back fire big time.

If this doesn't work then I may give up on the team entirely. I can't "root" for year, after year, after year (infinity) bottom half of the league hockey any more.

That's why this nuclear tear down is exciting to me. I have more hope for the rebuild to succeed than I have ever had in the team going far into the playoffs. More of that is just <gag>. It seems like our last chance though.

We've never been able to have nice things. Hopefully the hockey gods realize we're waaaaaaaay overdue and the curse is broken.

rt

May 13, 2004
I hope that Chychrun & Keller are still here, both playing well for the Coyotes, but what I mostly care about is a successful rebuild whether they're a part of it in the end or not.

It's gonna play out how it's gonna play out. If they do eventually want out hopefully we can use those assets and make them regret it later on lol.
I really think Shane Wright is the key to this whole thing.

If we’re lucky enough to draft him, then we add him to Guenther, our other two firsts, and the EIGHT 2nds we have between last draft and this draft. That pile along with Keller, Crouse, Chychrun, Timmins, Hayton, Jenik, Soderstrom, Kolyachonok, Maccelli, Prosvetov, etc is enough to start pulling up out of this rebuild.

Slowly, of course. No trading futures for vets or anything. But no more fire selling either.

That’s a borderline generational level but at least franchise level center along with a borderline franchise level but at least All-Star level D in Chychrun. And a huge heaping pile of future that at least SHOULD provide enough supporting depth/moveable assets. Especially given the ‘23 and ‘24 picks should be pretty early in rounds and should be held onto tightly.

That should be enough to stop being bad on purpose. Shane Wright should be enough to get us there provided Chychrun stays healthy and keeps his chin up during this mess.

Reactions: Grimes and Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

If we’re lucky enough to draft him, then we add him to Guenther, our other two firsts, and the EIGHT 2nds we have between last draft and this draft. That pile along with Keller, Crouse, Chychrun, Timmins, Hayton, Jenik, Soderstrom, Kolyachonok, Maccelli, Prosvetov, etc is enough to start pulling up out of this rebuild.

Slowly, of course. No trading futures for vets or anything. But no more fire selling either.

That’s a borderline generational level but at least franchise level center along with a borderline franchise level but at least All-Star level D in Chychrun. And a huge heaping pile of future that at least SHOULD provide enough supporting depth/moveable assets. Especially given the ‘23 and ‘24 picks should be pretty early in rounds and should be held onto tightly.

That should be enough to stop being bad on purpose. Shane Wright should be enough to get us there provided Chychrun stays healthy and keeps his chin up during this mess.

All we can do is hope that the rebuild goes well and Chychrun can see the vision come together clearly along the way. Progress is what he's gonna need to see.

And yeah, there's reason to think this rebuild can go rather quickley with how aggressive BAs been. We'll see!

Edit: And to think we're gonna be getting even more assets at the deadline. Crazy!

Last edited:

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ

If we gather more 2nd rounders at the deadline, do you prefer we shoot for the 2022 draft or look ahead to the 2023 draft?

Anyone else care to give their opinions too?

rt

May 13, 2004
If we gather more 2nd rounders at the deadline, do you prefer we shoot for the 2022 draft or look ahead to the 2023 draft?

Anyone else care to give their opinions too?
upload_2021-9-11_22-46-55.png

Seems to me that 2023 is the draft year that needs filling out, in terms of acquired picks.

Reactions: Kai Yo T

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
View attachment 464459
Seems to me that 2023 is the draft year that needs filling out, in terms of acquired picks.

Make sense to me to spread them out to '23. Wasn't sure how good next year's 2nd round talent is expected to be compared to 2023. If it mattered. We definitely have enough in 2022 to pick, move up, etc. if draft quality isn't much concern.

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I do think the core was rotten (or more accurately didn't really exist) but I don't think it's too hard to draw some lines between thinking it wasn't totally necessary to trade every piece that was desirable (IE Dvorak and Garland). I certainly don't think it was a necessity. IMO the Garland trade was substantially more justifiable than the Dvorak trade, vis a vis rebuilding. He's a player likely to flame out at some point due to injuries and we got a killer return. Dvorak? A first that's 3 years away minimum and a 2nd that likely never plays a game? There's zero guarantee any of that helps the rebuild. 9OA in a draft 2 months ago is way better value for a rebuild around Chychrun and next years lottery pick. Dvorak just seems like tearing down for the sake of tearing down.

It's also disheartening to see someone like Garland put every piece of him on the line for a team and not be rewarded for it with a contract. IMO that's a worse concern than general disgruntlement. Why play balls to the wall when you get nothing for it.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

I dont think NHLers see either of those things (core analysis and prospect futures) the same way a fan might. Keller is giving a good insight into this.. he has to form new relationships in a completely new hockey team. That's a good thing for us fans but it is saddening to see your work mates almost all gone when you have been through a lot with them.

NHLers forge a team, try to make friends with those they go into battle with on a daily basis and are paid to do their best. It's not their highest concern whether the team was competitive or okay - that's more for the GM and head coach who rants at them to worry about. Personal relationships matter a ton to them - far more so than some spotty thin teenager prospect that might or might not be a good player in a few years.. that isnt going to help them here and now with heavyweight teams bearing down on top of them. When Keller and Chychrun look at prospects, they mostly see a bunch of kids that they themselves competed, beat and rose out to reach the NHL. They know full well that most of those kids arent going to make it at the NHL level. It's not likely they'll be impressed unless it's a Bedard/Wright type, maybe Guenther.

Tocchet was particularly terrible at this, he pandered to making friends with his senior players and trying to look after them and protect them from the embarrassment of a rookie taking their job. Shane Doan was pretty bad at this too in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad