Confirmed with Link: [VAN/AZ] 9th OA, 2022 2nd, 2023 7th, Roussel, Beagle, and Eriksson for OEL (12% ret) and Garland

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I think Winnipeg too. More of a center of the universe vibe for the jets but it’s tiny universe by comparison.

Back in my younger days when I had a less involved job, I would listen to the various TSN radio outlets all day at work. Most often Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto. Winnipeg was clearly tamer than the others in those days.

The Jets get all the attention but it seems there’s less assholes making names for themselves by dragging the players constantly and crossing the line as much as possible. More like a west Texas high school football team. It’s the only show in town and everyone is obsessed but everyone also loves them and there’s some reverence or at least respect.

Toronto and Vancouver have a more “big city f*** you vibe” - this of course is relative to Canada. Lol. Where the cities aren’t that big and the people are very nice.

At least that’s my perspective from down here in the desert.
Most “fans” in Vancouver have never played or never been to a NHL game and base much (if not all) what they hear from the media. Its groupthink at its worst especially when the mob has decided they don’t like someone.

in a market like Winnipeg. Everyone has played and have their own opinion and aren’t completely swayed by the media which is much more “thankful” in a place like Winnipeg to have NHL hockey.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Most “fans” in Vancouver have never played or never been to a NHL game and base much (if not all) what they hear from the media. Its groupthink at its worst especially when the mob has decided they don’t like someone.

in a market like Winnipeg. Everyone has played and have their own opinion and aren’t completely swayed by the media which is much more “thankful” in a place like Winnipeg to have NHL hockey.
Yeah, that tracks with what I recall from my TSN radio listening days. Lol

EDIT: I remember just having four browser tabs open, and switching over whenever one went to commercial break, or started talking about the CFL.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, that tracks with what I recall from my TSN radio listening days. Lol

EDIT: I remember just having four browser tabs open, and switching over whenever one went to commercial break, or started talking about the CFL.
I’m a season ticket holder to a team in the CFL!

rt

May 13, 2004
And people in this country like MLS. I can't figure any of it out...

You'd have to pay me to watch any other sport other than hockey. I'm sure my kids will play every sport other than hockey as a result, and I'll pay a ton of money to watch the other sports - haha

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I will miss Garland. I was up in Edmonton for the game a couple of years ago (3 maybe?) when Garland scored off of his face. Still, it was a great trade for us, allowing us to move high into the 1st. As good as Garland was for us, I fail to see how he warranted a #9 overall pick.

I'm not sure what Vancouver was doing, giving a 1 and a 2 for OEL and Garland. OEL is very good still, but anchored with a terrible contract with length. Garland is a set up for injury with his style of play. They must see something in both players that I don't to warrant that high a payment.
BA wanted to rebuild, simple as that. That is what you said way back. I would have bet you anything that it would be a reset not a rebuild.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I use to be for the Eskimos. Had a blast. Moon and Wilkie as QB's, and Wes being the announcer. Beers flowing all night. No cells phones, no internet, and even CC's were at it's infancy.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Judging by the Bedard jersey, Roughriders? Saskatchewan can sure be major fish bowl, radio show post game can be fun.
Ever live in Edmonton or Calgary? They live and breath hockey, much more than Vancouver.

Both those cities seem to have become more accepting with their current states. Vancouver seems to be more toxic, at least from the media. Post Cup run. I wouldn't be surprised if they help to force an OEL trade in a couple years.

Reactions: hbk

rt

May 13, 2004
The CFL is AWESOME FUN.
Like I said, there are people that like the MLS and AA baseball. It's not for me. I can't handle stakes that low when it comes to professional sports. It's different if it's amateurs. But I can't watch pros with such low stakes. I could conceivably get into NCAA football (if I didn't just out and out dislike football anyway) but only if it was D1. And never Arena League or CFL or XFL or any of that kind of super low-level pro stuff.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Like I said, there are people that like the MLS and AA baseball. It's not for me. I can't handle stakes that low when it comes to professional sports. It's different if it's amateurs. But I can't watch pros with such low stakes. I could conceivably get into NCAA football (if I didn't just out and out dislike football anyway) but only if it was D1. And never Arena League or CFL or XFL or any of that kind of super low-level pro stuff.
Do you follow the AHL?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

So, Phoenix is like Vancouver but worse?:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Haha that is a great day. I recall attending a 50 something to nothing game???? At least that's how I remember it.
Went to a Grey Cup game in Edmonton and we were seated upper bowl I think around tens rows from the top. It was around -30 F. and the wind was blowing. Had to drink to stay warm, or though we thought. Had a blast. Young and dumb I guess. Now, the way it sounds the CFL has lost it's way and /or fans.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Nice sale at the team store if anyone is interested. :cry:

upload_2021-8-21_11-50-58.png

Men's Arizona Coyotes Oliver Ekman-Larsson Fanatics Branded Black 2020/21 Alternate Premier Breakaway Player Jersey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad