Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] OEL (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
And this is always easier said than done. Certainly in a league wirh guaranteed contracts and a hard cap.

What's a year too early? If trading Miller last year made sense, then it's the year before that when he should've been dealt. That's when you truly maximize value.
Referring to moving off Benning the GM. Canucks should have treated Benning like BB treats players. Look at the outcome of keeping Benning from the end of the season in April 2021 to December when they finally had to fire him.

But this was the same stupid owner that going into 19/20 when Benning was entering the final year of his contract decided to extend him by 3 years. Not just 1 or 2 years since he had accomplished nothing up to 2019.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I posted this over on the Canucks board. I want you all to appreciate Jim Benning and all his incompetent "glory."

“We think he’s going to be our number one defenceman,” said Benning in a call with the media after the trade.

“Quinn will be better for us acquiring Ekman-Larsson, because he can play now in a different kind of role,”

“He’ll be a top-pairing guy, can play a lot of minutes, PP, PK, can be a match-up guy playing against the other team’s top lines,” said Benning.

"He's competitive in his own end."

“He’s a smart two-way player, right,” said Benning. “He’s a guy who can carry the puck up ice, he’s got a great shot from the blue line, but he’s competitive in his own end. We’re excited to get him because he plays against the best players in the league.”

“He’s still 30 years old, so I think he’s gonna have another five, six good years left in him,” said Benning.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
There is a reason why Jim Benning is no longer a GM in this league.
And never, ever, will be.

Even Mike Milbury can cling to the excuse that some of his moves were forced by cheap ownership cutting costs... and Peter Chiarelli, bad as he was, got a 2nd kick at the GM can.

I know HF Boards is always accused of recency bias, but I've followed hockey for a while and it is truly difficult to overstate just how bad Benning was.

Gordievsky

Jan 18, 2019
Some of us didn't need a single minute of hindsight to see this was a complete catastrophe of a trade:

Day of the trade:

Shortly afterwards, prior to the season starting:

One of those times where you can say "I told you so" but deep down, you wish you had been wrong...

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
Yotes should feel shameful for taking advantage of the mentally challenged.

If this were the case we'd be too ashamed to respond to any (all?) the clown posts aimed at us and our organization. Not saying this is one of those posts btw. But being a Yotes fan is often like getting your face pounded in, at some point it starts making you stronger / more resilient. Can only imagine what it does to people actually working in the organization. Bill Armstrong we all love you please don't change anything

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I still hate this trade. I like Garland a lot, but OEL is as close to a dead contract as you get. He's the Skinner of defenders. Where you get shallow points without much other value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad