Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] OEL (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Still positively optimistic about this.

Canucks started this last season with losing Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom and Stetcher. Did absolutely nothing to improve the team. It was noticeably demoralizing for them.

Hopefully they're not crying about OEL's cap hit like the people online, and are happy they'll have a more competitve team.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
I wonder how many people trash talking about OEL can perform at their best after losing a loved one.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
One of the worst trade i have ever witness, in my opinion this trade has the potential to be worse than Luongo to Florida trade (From the Islanders).

Canucks is no where near being competitive, this trade made sense only if the canucks are top of the league and need another piece to push them ahead.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Still positively optimistic about this.

Canucks started this last season with losing Toffoli, Tanev, Markstrom and Stetcher. Did absolutely nothing to improve the team. It was noticeably demoralizing for them.

Hopefully they're not crying about OEL's cap hit like the people online, and are happy they'll have a more competitve team.
people who were whining about losing TT will hopefully shut the F up finally. Garland is better, younger and you could see the excitement vibrating off that glorious Lanny stash.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
people who were whining about losing TT will hopefully shut the F up finally. Garland is better, younger and you could see the excitement vibrating off that glorious Lanny stash.
Well we lost TT to hold onto Jake which every fan knew was a stupid idea but management still did it.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
One of the worst trade i have ever witness, in my opinion this trade has the potential to be worse than Luongo to Florida trade (From the Islanders).

Canucks is no where near being competitive, this trade made sense only if the canucks are top of the league and need another piece to push them ahead.
sorry but that is a terrible take. First off the goal of any trade for teams not rebuilding is to improve now and is usually combined with other moves like adding Dickenson for example. OEL at his worst is still an upgrade on Edler who makes a million less and is five years younger. I made a comment a few weeks ago in a Garland thread about how every poster from all fanbases gushed over him and they offered the moon for him, I honestly have never seen a player who garnered so much accolades from all fanbases. Does this single move make us cup favourites? No but it makes us better without giving up an actual roster player we value. If OEL bounces back then this has the potential to be a massive win.
You saying this is the worst trade shows that you either live under a rock, know nothing of hockey, or are simply a hater. Judging by your profile I'm guessing all three.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Well we lost TT to hold onto Jake which every fan knew was a stupid idea but management still did it.
We didn't choose Virtanen over TT, Jake makes 2.5 million so it is more like Jake and another roster player but even that's not really how things went down.
I can't believe people act like they knew better about Jake talk about captain hindsight. Before this season he had improved for three straight seasons culminating in his 18 goal season on a line with Sutter and AG. What logical reason was there to not qualify Jake who btw had 5 less goals than TT who got top-six minutes and PP1 time on both the kings and Nucks and Jake is five years younger.
The flat cap is the reason TT wasn't re-signed because of the flat cap and right or wrong they valued Nate more. Now we have Nate and a much better winger in Garland.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
sorry but that is a terrible take. First off the goal of any trade for teams not rebuilding is to improve now and is usually combined with other moves like adding Dickenson for example. OEL at his worst is still an upgrade on Edler who makes a million less and is five years younger. I made a comment a few weeks ago in a Garland thread about how every poster from all fanbases gushed over him and they offered the moon for him, I honestly have never seen a player who garnered so much accolades from all fanbases. Does this single move make us cup favourites? No but it makes us better without giving up an actual roster player we value. If OEL bounces back then this has the potential to be a massive win.
You saying this is the worst trade shows that you either live under a rock, know nothing of hockey, or are simply a hater. Judging by your profile I'm guessing all three.
First of all, you are not sorry. OEL at his worst is our defence version of Eriksson, his play has quickly decline, wasting our 9 overall pick is absolutely lunatic, only a moron would make this trade. Please allowed me to point out the obvious that he is earning 7.2 million dollars, and you are not worried about our ability to resign Petterson and Hughes?

At best, OEL is going to give us 3-4 productive years and then declines as he aged, alongside with his absurd cap hit. You know the Coyotes has picked Dylan Guenther with our #9 overall pick. To make this trade a fair one, the Coyotes need to cough up more than what they have given us.

"you either live under a rock, know nothing of hockey, or are simply a hater."
Let me introduce you to an object call a mirror.

Last edited:

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Another season like the one we had for the Canucks and Benning's ass is grass. He had to do something to try and save himself.
OEL is still a 4-5 million d no matter how you reason. This makes the canucks a better team next season.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Another season like the one we had for the Canucks and Benning's ass is grass. He had to do something to try and save himself.
OEL is still a 4-5 million d no matter how you reason. This makes the canucks a better team next season.
If we can somehow resign Petterson and Hughes. Right now we have 14 nhl player signed for 60 million dollars.

With only 20 million dollars left to resign Petterson, Hughes, filling up the rest of the roster is going to be hard.

Last edited:

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
OEL decline in 4 years? Buy him out then.

Play with the buyout calculator, with 12% retained by Coyotes ( Or whatever their name is after relocation) will make it hurt even less.

With a lower salary than cap hit in last two years, we might even be able to ship him right back to Arizona ( or where ever they relocate to ) or another team that is rebuilding and values paying less cash to hit cap floor.

All this OEL might suck and stuff, well, Quinn Hughes struggles to be a #1 this year, let's not sign him either because be might suck in a few years and we will be stuck with him

Typical HF, a draft pick has more value than a current NHL player.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I think he’ll have at least two good seasons. His shot deterioration is not psychological, though. Those twenty goal seasons are long gone. That’s an injury thing. He let that slip during a between periods interview on the local fox sports station recently. I also think his decline in mobility cant be pinned on issues between his ears, entirely. He’s not that old, but we’re talking hard miles, here.

I’ve got serious doubts about Garland’s longevity, too, if he doesn’t change his game drastically. If he does change his game drastically, I have serious doubts about his overall value.

I think this trade is all about years 1-3 for the Nucks and for the Yotes is a huge L until year four. Then, it’s entirely dependent on Dylan Guenther and how wisely they use all that cap space.
Appreciate your insights, thanks. Been reading your Yotes takes for a long time.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

Play with the buyout calculator, with 12% retained by Coyotes ( Or whatever their name is after relocation) will make it hurt even less.

With a lower salary than cap hit in last two years, we might even be able to ship him right back to Arizona ( or where ever they relocate to ) or another team that is rebuilding and values paying less cash to hit cap floor.

All this OEL might suck and stuff, well, Quinn Hughes struggles to be a #1 this year, let's not sign him either because be might suck in a few years and we will be stuck with him

upload_2021-7-26_8-43-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-7-26_8-42-34.png
    upload_2021-7-26_8-42-34.png
    35.4 KB · Views: 2

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
Jim Benning operates like no other gm. Not to say he's the worst (although the argument can be made), but he's making risky moves and has an abysmal winning percentage to show for it. So regardless of the long term outcome of his tenure - as of right now, he's objectively awful. How anyone can still believe in his goalpost moving strategy is beyond me at this point.

Vancouver would be mostly fine if they locked him in a closet during the UFA window. He tends to overpay for signings too but it's not the end of the earth compared to his UFA hunting.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
His mother passed (RIP) in March of 2017. We sympathize, but its been over 4 years. If anything this supports all our claims that he seems to have lost his passion for hockey.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
It is dumb. Leadership isn't something we can tangibly observe from our sofas- putting the blame of the Coyotes shit team on OEL is equally dumb. The dude has been notably off his game for the last 2-3 years and because he wore the 'C' he's the catalyst to all this failure. Dumb notion sorry mate won't be convinced otherwise.

Fair enough. Whatever the matter, I hope he figures it out. Take care!

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
His mother passed (RIP) in March of 2017. We sympathize, but its been over 4 years. If anything this supports all our claims that he seems to have lost his passion for hockey.

Family tragedy, poor working environment, high pressure, no support from company.

I've been there, it drains your soul, and leads to depression.

He needs a change of surroundings, and need people around him that wants to support his success.

dman34

May 6, 2011
How has OEL’s performance been most recently for team Sweden? (Pre pandemic obviously)

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Family tragedy, poor working environment, high pressure, no support from company.

I've been there, it drains your soul, and leads to depression.

He needs a change of surroundings, and need people around him that wants to support his success.

100% agree. I wish he would've been more open to it sooner. He seems like a decent guy and I hope it all works out for him. It wasn't gonna happen here.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
100% agree. I wish he would've been more open to it sooner. He seems like a decent guy and I hope it all works out for him. It wasn't gonna happen here.

Loyalty to the fans, being sold that things will be better.
Leading to a new coach who hates you,
It all changes the mindset, to the point he doesn't care anymore.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Quinn was in his second season, most players have some semblance of a sophomore slump, combine that with being stuck on an awful team, with multiple d pairings, there for
no consistency, and he's not comparable AT ALL to a 30 year old declining dman (by the numbers, yes he is declining)

Like really how in your head are these two players comparable in ANY WAY?

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011

Yes all of us realists will stop complaining about all of the dogshit moves Mr potatoe head has made for years because we got Garland.........wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad