Confirmed Trade: [VAN/ARI] OEL (12% ret.), Garland for Beagle, Roussel, Eriksson, 9th OA, '22 2nd, '23 7th [Part II]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I think i have missed two games

I am not going to bother looking at stats but i bet you there isnt as strong a correlation you suggest between shots by a dmen and the leading dmen scorers

I am also going to guess the dmen that are the point getters is more tied to rushing and making plays which is part of having

- in sync forwards to finish and carry plays
- in sync forwards to back them up
- reliable partners that you trust so you can rush
- a more rotational offensive system that keeps movement so positional holes fill back up quicker

None of this sounds like how vancouver is playing right now. Oel is playing so conservative right now because he has too, but is STILL getting all those shots through from the safe haven of his defensive position at the blueline

This also shows how piss poor vancouver has been battling in between the hash marks, stick position near the crease and rebound goals

I will make another guess and say vancouver is near the bottom of the league in rebound goals
Look, man. You aren’t as bad on ice as some posters were sure you would be, but your contract remains an absolute albatross.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Bill armstrong is basically a rip off artist. It’s no wonder chychrun hasn’t been traded, GM’s are onto his overpriced assets….

• Haha
Reactions: Baby Doaner

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Holy shit looking back this trade ruined the Canucks franchise for the next few years

Garland is a good piece but not worth taking on OEL.. a guy like Bjorkstrand (who's better than Garland) was given up for peanuts. The Canucks would be so much better off with 14M cap space and a top prospect

Miller being incompatible with the locker room and his new contract makes it so much worse

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Holy shit looking back this trade ruined the Canucks franchise for the next few years

Garland is a good piece but not worth taking on OEL.. a guy like Bjorkstrand (who's better than Garland) was given up for peanuts. The Canucks would be so much better off with 14M cap space and a top prospect

Miller being incompatible with the locker room and his new contract makes it so much worse

Not trading Miller last year was about equal.

Could have started a rebuild but refused and got stuck with more bad contracts with less assets

Reactions: HBK27

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
This trade should have been vetoed, owners deserve this hit on the franchise.
lol really? This seems like the type of trade ownership tried to get Nonis to make and refused and he got fired as a result. Benning said sure I’ll make the trade.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011

Some of us didn't need a single minute of hindsight to see this was a complete catastrophe of a trade:

Day of the trade:
mriswith said:
OEL is a top 5 worst contract in the league and signed until 2027.

All our salary dumps are on expiring deals.

This is instantly a top 3 worst deal in franchise history as it stands.

Shortly afterwards, prior to the season starting:
mriswith said:
It's already too late IMO. Short of getting someone like Zito to pull off a GM of the year miracle turnaround, just having had Benning for this summer and this year is enough to force a mini-rebuild by necessity at best.

This is why I'm less interested in this season than I have been in a few years. In Petterssons rookie season it became obvious there was a window for something if only Benning would get canned and it was possible to get excited about the future. Now that the ELC advantages are gone and Benning is still doing his thing to our medium and long term cap structure, I find I'm checking out.

It gets worse the longer Benning stays in charge. If Pettersson gets bridged and Benning gets this year and next year to continue his walk through the wilderness, it's likely the franchise is looking at a full on rebuild when he's fired.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

Looks like feel good moment is needed

Linden for Bertuzzi and McCabe
then Linden makes his way back to Van for another 400 games…

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This trade should have been vetoed, owners deserve this hit on the franchise.
The owner was fully on board with his GM. That was the directive. Make the playoffs. Owner has been on the Down low since he had to fire Benning 11 months ago. Didn’t do his regular regular season opener chat with the local radio station.

It’s the price you pay when you keep a GM on the hot seat and expect him to work magic after several years of no results. Not his problem anymore.

That’s why the Bill B of NE Patriots motto when it comes to moving off players applies to GMs, always move off them a year early than a year late.

This deal doesn’t get made if it is Rutherford and Allvin at the helm in June 2021. But the owner decided to keep Benning and extend Green the HC.

With the way the NHL salary cap works, one bad move will hurt your team for years.

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Bill Armstrong is such a cold negotiator. He's got balls of steel for asking for a 7th rounder on top after he was already destroying the Canucks on this deal.
I guess I'm nuts because I don't really think this deal looked that bad for the Canucks at the time.

They got a top 6 forward and top 4 D for 9th overall+dumping a bunch of bad contracts.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
That’s why the Bill B of NE Patriots motto when it comes to moving off players applies to GMs, always move off them a year early than a year late.

And this is always easier said than done. Certainly in a league wirh guaranteed contracts and a hard cap.

What's a year too early? If trading Miller last year made sense, then it's the year before that when he should've been dealt. That's when you truly maximize value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad