Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Feel less bad about the trade, as Hughes/Clarke went top 8.

Want to say, first of all I don't like this trade, but I don't think its as bad as some are saying.

It really depends on how OEL performs. I think we know what we will likely get with Garland, very small I doubt he's even 5'10 - but a player with high skill.

If OEL continues to trend downward, produces only 25-30 pts with little pp time and struggle defensively, then we got a huge contract anchor.

If OEL with a change of scenery can revert back to his form in the mid 20s, then that's an elite offensive dman who can eat up minutes. Still need a good defensive partner to help him do some heavy lifting.

I've watched the canucks since the early 90s and I don't think there's a time we had as much as Offensive skill on the blueline as now with Hughes/OEL and potentially with Rathbone. Hughes alone is already the most gifted offensive dman in canucks history.

Ideally you move both Myers/Schmidt, sign Hamonic and sign solid dman like Jake Mccabe.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
How is OEL on the PP?

Very good on PP.
He's got a rocket and a pretty accurate one. Goal scoring might one of his strengths as a dman, and his hands are very good for defenseman. Not sure how they will use him on PP, since Hughes is the qb, and Petey should be the triggerman

kaczor

Jul 3, 2005
NZ
I am in the minority here, but I don't mind this deal. The 21 draft is weak and you also have to add the uncertainty of being able to develop whoever you draft into a useful player. You have less uncertainty with OEL. I like Garland, who I think is worth more than a 2nd. Beagle and Roussel could have walked for nothing ...
(As an aside, the blind JB hate here is beginning to get to me. This place used to be much more rational. Disagree with a trade, fine, but your argument needs to be more than 'JB is a moron'. And perhaps accept that JB and his crew have far more inside information than any of us. Aaaanyway...)

Scorvat

Mar 17, 2015
I think OEL will be like what Edler was. Solid minute muncher who will eventually regress to a bottom pairing dman hopefully only for the last year of his deal

OEL plays like Ehroff with alot of boneheaded turnovers and defensive miscues. Anybody expecting a defender that can handle tough matchups is setting themselves up for major disappointment. We need to find really good partner for him and Hughes or its going to be a lottery season

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
If OEL has a Hossa-esque skin condition and is on LTIR for 6 years then I can get behind the trade

but doesn’t he already suck now?

honest question, i have no idea. haven’t seen a phoenix game since the last sedin game.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Keep in mind high variability also swings the other way.

The best player in this draft is far less likely to be one of the top 5 picks than in a normal draft. You're more likely to get one of the best players in the draft at #9 in this draft than in a normal draft.

I have the math on this. I am setting this as a reminder to post it later.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Who on the team is going play defense? You got Edler who was the only remaining decent stay at home guy.

Hughes, OEL, Myers, Schmidt, Rathbone? We either win 7-6 or lose.

Last edited:

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
People are sleeping on Garland, he's better than people think (and easily the best piece in this deal, this draft class is weak).

OEL contract sucks but otherwise this is a solid trade

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Would you guys rather us given next years first (Lets say top 5 protected) or the 9th pick?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I am in the minority here, but I don't mind this deal. The 21 draft is weak and you also have to add the uncertainty of being able to develop whoever you draft into a useful player. You have less uncertainty with OEL. I like Garland, who I think is worth more than a 2nd. Beagle and Roussel could have walked for nothing ...
(As an aside, the blind JB hate here is beginning to get to me. This place used to be much more rational. Disagree with a trade, fine, but your argument needs to be more than 'JB is a moron'. And perhaps accept that JB and his crew have far more inside information than any of us. Aaaanyway...)
I would argue that OEL has been the most discussed non-canuck over the past 12 months prior to this trade due to the rumors from last year.

This isn’t blind hate reaction. This board was more positive on the Schmidt trade than CDC, Twitter, FB, whatever.

I just don’t buy that at all.

Reactions: vanuck

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
but doesn’t he already suck now?

honest question, i have no idea. haven’t seen a phoenix game since the last sedin game.

He hasn't been good lately and I don't think anyone can argue that. Will he be good here? That's the question.

But either way, it will be virtually impossible for OEL to live up to that contract.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
What I don't like. The contract. It is long. Scary long. 7.2 million on the books for 6 years. There is not a scenario in my head that thinks OEL will be worth his contract.

Is there a chance for an OEL rebound? He is joining a team with a very motivated group of young players. A passionate fan base. So I think there is a chance he can rebound. How motivated would I be to be playing in the desert for my career on a team that just can't seem to move forward. Coming to a real hockey town and playing for a franchise that has always welcomed Swedish players are the kind of ingredients required to motivate a career. We shall see. Did I mention the contract is long?

What I do like. Trimming the deadweight. I get it. Some will argue that we just added more deadweight. Sure, down the road that will likely be true. But the weight we trimmed was not even game worthy. True anchors of cap space. OEL, for whatever you think of him, is a top 4 defenseman. So he is more overpaid than he is deadweight. From a yesterday to today basis the team just improved with this trade. Moving forward it will really be a question of how this trade impacts OEL's career. If it does we have our Edler replacement for the forseeable future. If it doesn't... Did I mention how long his contract is?

Connor Garland is a real nice piece. If we can find a deal in the mid 4's it is a positive asset. This team is filling in with some relentless motors and should be hard to play against. We just need that impact first line RD. Without cap space to bid for one. Or assets to trade for one... Did anyone notice how long that contract is for?

I am skipping the first 25 or so pages because I already know what it says. Lots of gnashing of teeth. And rightly so. This trade could doom the franchise for years. Meaning we may as well trade away our core and reboot again. The next 2 years will define the next decade of Canucks hockey. Win and we are all happy. Lose and .... Well I wont go there.

Reactions: DS7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad