Confirmed with Link: [VAN/ARI] Garland,OEL(12% retained) for 9th OA,2nd in 22,7th in 23,Beagle,Roussel,Eriksson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Pretty happy with this trade! At least in the short term, we are for sure a better team. Won't really know who won this one until we see how OEL performs, and how that #9 pick turns out. Moved a lot of older guys out the door that were making the entire team worse every time they stepped on the ice, and now we have room for younger players to step in and get a chance to prove themselves. This makes a lot of sense for so many reasons. It's not a slam dunk by any means, so of course it's gonna be doom and gloom around here but we're all used to that.

This. If I had a nickel for every complaint on this board about Roussel and his contract or Beagle and his contract or, especially Eriksson and HIS contract I would be as rich as FAQ. There were suggestions awhile ago of us giving up our first just to get rid of Loui alone (which I thought was insane but, hey, haters gotta hate); now we have rid ourselves of three big contracts of players that barely moved the needle for us in return for a #1 d man and a solid depth player. It should be very interesting to see how these three former Canucks perform in the desert; certainly Loui has died and gone to heaven. I'm betting they all excel there. OEL will be vilified before he sets foot on the ice so expect him to regress or, worse yet, get injured. I'm not much of a Benning fan but this deal took guts to pull off and I would laugh if it saves him his job (something that FAQ is almost desperate to happen it seems).

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
I might be in minority here. The added second sucks. This draft year doesn’t wow me so I’m ok with losing the first. Garland will do well here and the hope is that OEL highly benefits from a change of scenery.

Reactions: vanuck

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
We didn't take ALL the risk. If those first and second round picks don't turn into great players (and they often don't -- just look at Juleovi and Virtanen, both lower picks than #9th), then Phoenix just gave away one of their best forwards for nothing, and took 3 overpaid old dudes onto their roster that likely make them objectively worse overall next season, to boot.

Even if those picks don't work out Arizona traded away one of the worst contracts in the league at the cost of a youngish top 6 winger, that's still a really solid deal.

The cost to move OEL straight up would have probably been at least a top 10 pick (plus another pick or two), is Garland worth that? Probably not.

Next year means nothing for Arizona because they're going to be tanking and the acquired players actually will make them worse which is a win in the short term.

This trade is a heist for the Coyotes. We should have received a pick back for taking on OEL. Too bad our GM thinks it 2012 and he's getting an elite #1 defensemen.

Reactions: pomorick

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Benning mentioned recovering picks so I assume that is what he is going to get for Schmidt. That being said OEL, Hughes, Myers and Rathbone are all the same type of Dman and do not bring what we need to the back end but

Miller-Petey-Boeser
Hoglander-Horvat-Garland
Pod-Dickson-Pearson
Motte-???-???

Is a solid forward group but our defense is still hot trash

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
This. If I had a nickel for every complaint on this board about Roussel and his contract or Beagle and his contract or, especially Eriksson and HIS contract I would be as rich as FAQ. There were suggestions awhile ago of us giving up our first just to get rid of Loui alone (which I thought was insane but, hey, haters gotta hate); now we have rid ourselves of three big contracts of players that barely moved the needle for us in return for a #1 d man and a solid depth player. It should be very interesting to see how these three former Canucks perform in the desert; certainly Loui has died and gone to heaven. I'm betting they all excel there. OEL will be vilified before he sets foot on the ice so expect him to regress or, worse yet, get injured. I'm not much of a Benning fan but this deal took guts to pull off and I would laugh if it saves him his job (something that FAQ is almost desperate to happen it seems).

Exactly. Sure, there's plenty of potential risk... but VAN basically replaced 3 pressbox/4th line players with a Top 4 D and a Top 6 forward. It's not worth being so furious about.

Reactions: Zippgunn

AppleHoneySauce

Apr 26, 2021
Literally every D we add turns to poop. Why would OEL totally buck this trend. What did Travis Green and this team do to make people think we are capable at developing/Improving anything other than goalies.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Literally every D we add turns to poop. Why would OEL totally buck this trend. What did Travis Green and this team do to make people think we are capable at developing/Improving anything other than goalies.

This is the first criticism that I have read about Green that didn't include the name Jim Benning in quite some time. Baby steps...

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
We already waited a decade… Anyways I’m happy that Roussel, Beagle and Eriksson are gone and we replace with Garland, Dickinson and OEL. 9th overall pick in a crap shoot draft wasn’t get us to the promise land any time soon.

well let’s hope you don’t complain when me miss this year and the next few

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Even if those picks don't work out Arizona traded away one of the worst contracts in the league at the cost of a youngish top 6 winger, that's still a really solid deal.

The cost to move OEL straight up would have probably been at least a top 10 pick (plus another pick or two), is Garland worth that? Probably not.

Next year means nothing for Arizona because they're going to be tanking and the acquired players actually will make them worse which is a win in the short term.

This trade is a heist for the Coyotes. We should have received a pick back for taking on OEL. Too bad our GM thinks it 2012 and he's getting an elite #1 defensemen.
So you are just ignoring Erickson, Beagle and Roussel? Each one of those was worth a good pick. Trade makes sense for both teams for different reasons.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Exactly. Sure, there's plenty of potential risk... but VAN basically replaced 3 pressbox/4th line players with a Top 4 D and a Top 6 forward. It's not worth being so furious about.

This is such a short sighted way to look at the trade. Sure for this upcoming year it makes us better, what about the following year(s)?

If OEL doesn't significantly improve his play the we just traded for the worst contract in the league.

Those 3 pressbox/4th liners would have been completely off the books next year.

Just think how much of an anchor the Loui contract was. OEL's contract has the potential to be very close to that if not the exact same.

Reactions: Jovofan

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
That isn't quite the way LTIR works though. It doesn't create cap space. It just lets you spend over by that amount. What are you going to do if Ferland returns to the lineup?

You are allowed to go 10% over the cap in the off season then it is recalculated (formula on CapFriendly) when players go onto LTIR to start the season. Ferland is undoubtedly going onto LTIR and not coming back this season. There has never been any indication from any source that a Ferland return was even possible at this point. It's been demonstrated twice that he can go from asymptomatic to back to concussion symptoms with minimal contact when trying to return to the game. I dont see why a doctor would clear him after both of those attempts failed.

If he doesnt go onto LTIR to start the season then we absolutely have to shed salary to fill out the roster. At least 3 million, which isnt likely in a Holtby trade as I'd suspect we would retain some in that scenario. However, it is safe to assume that Ferland doesnt exist from a cap perspective (so you can subtract his salary off of the capfriendly total).

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I might be in minority here. The added second sucks. This draft year doesn’t wow me so I’m ok with losing the first. Garland will do well here and the hope is that OEL highly benefits from a change of scenery.

You’re not alone. I’m happy with this move as well. We got Garland who is producing very well and is currently 25 years old. Do we just want to keep drafting like the Oilers and Buffalo? We do if we don’t have the young guns.. but we have Pettersson, Hughes, Hoglander and Podzolkin coming in right now.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I think OEL will be like what Edler was. Solid minute muncher who will eventually regress to a bottom pairing dman hopefully only for the last year of his deal

Reactions: Johnathon Tanner

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
This is such a short sighted way to look at the trade. Sure for this upcoming year it makes us better, what about the following year(s)?

If OEL doesn't significantly improve his play the we just traded for the worst contract in the league.

Those 3 pressbox/4th liners would have been completely off the books next year.

Just think how much of an anchor the Loui contract was. OEL's contract has the potential to be very close to that if not the exact same.
Dude is already 30 years old. Myers is 31 years old. Schmidt is 30 years old. The Benning brigade were complaining he inherited a bunch of geezers when he was first hired (Tanev 24 years old, Edler 29 years old, Hamhuis 31 years old).

Reactions: Bobby Digital
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad