Speculation: Value of Tobias Enstrom

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Friedman said today on Marek vs. Wyshynski that the Jets were shopping Toby around before Buff moved to forward and Toby got paired with Bogosian. Apparently the Jets weren't happy with his play and were seeing what they could get for him. "Teams" had told Friedman that the Jets were looking to move him.

It's odd seeing as he has a NMC. Maybe it hasn't kicked in yet? Not sure.

I don't get it.

Other than putting up points Enstrom has been incredibly good for us.

If anything I bet it was the other way around. Other teams noticed Toby's lack of production and were inquiring in the hopes of getting him for a cut rate deal.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
That's... Weird. I mean, until Morrissey proves he will come close to being a top LHD, that feels like the absolute last trade we should be looking at...

And, I mean, even then we have to get a top 4 LHD in return.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
When Toby resigned, there was a lot of talk about him wanting to play playoff hockey. And play it here.

Perhaps another angle is, the Jets were simply seeing what the market was for Toby, and IF there was a good deal presented by a perennial playoff team, they would go to Toby with it to have him wave his no trade. Toby moves to a playoff team, and gets to play in the playoffs, and Jets continue to build for future.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Hard to imagine trading him, but if we are looking at building around 9/55/8, we are a few years away from a cup run. Anyone approaching 30 could be trade bait right now to build for the next few years.

pegjets

Oh Canada
Apr 4, 2013
I have a feeling that the media doesn't really have credible sources around TNSE yet. We have yet to really hear much speculation actually turn into anything, and the trades that have actually happened weren't the ones percolating in the rumor mill. Until such time that these guys get some credibility, it's a bit hard to take it seriously.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I'll weigh in with an unpopular opinion; Enstrom is a super talented guy but is also too small, is physically ineffective down low and in the crease due his size. Yes, as his fanboys state he is a superior skater and is quite positionally sound; my own view is that he would be better suited to play on a second pairing. Full credit to him for going into the corners to retrieve pucks when being pursued by guys twice his size, but on a least one occasion each game I find myself near in fear for his life when he is getting tossed about like a tennis ball by the behemoth forwards in the West. If you are unable to understand why a team that plays in the West, one that rolls a tiny d-man in the number one pairing against gigantic forwards... might consider a change to that spot given their performance each year, then I'd suggest you are thinking like a fan versus a manager. Part of the job requirement in that spot is to physically control the opposition and to prevent them from accessing the net.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
I have a feeling that the media doesn't really have credible sources around TNSE yet. We have yet to really hear much speculation actually turn into anything, and the trades that have actually happened weren't the ones percolating in the rumor mill. Until such time that these guys get some credibility, it's a bit hard to take it seriously.

This rumor is based upon that multiple teams supposedly told Friedman that the Jets were trying to move him, per his claim, so TNSE sources aren't really required if his sources are correct. Friedman is about as reputable as it gets in the media.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I'll weigh in with an unpopular opinion; Enstrom is a super talented guy but is also too small, is physically ineffective down low and in the crease due his size. Yes, as his fanboys state he is a superior skater and is quite positionally sound; my own view is that he would be better suited to play on a second pairing. Full credit to him for going into the corners to retrieve pucks when being pursued by guys twice his size, but on a least one occasion each game I find myself near in fear for his life when he is getting tossed about like a tennis ball by the behemoth forwards in the West. If you are unable to understand why a team that plays in the West, one that rolls a tiny d-man in the number one pairing against gigantic forwards... might consider a change to that spot given their performance each year, then I'd suggest you are thinking like a fan versus a manager. Part of the job requirement in that spot is to physically control the opposition and to prevent them from accessing the net.

Could you perhaps point to any instances of goals or anything where Enstrom was outmuscled and it resulted in a goal against? Oddly enough I've recorded instances of it happening more often to the other five defensemen than Enstrom, but I'd like to see if you can dig up anything I may have missed.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I think Friedman is pretty reputable, so this is interesting to hear to say the least.

I also think that the Jets talking to other teams to gauge a value is quite different than the Jets trying to trade Enstrom.

As for actually dealing him, as indicated, that would leave a huge hole on the left side. Moving Enstrom to me only makes sense if it's part of other moves. Hypothetically, the Jets move Enstrom for a guy like ROR, and then move Buff to get another LHD. Even then we still need another top 4 LHD.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Could you perhaps point to any instances of goals or anything where Enstrom was outmuscled and it resulted in a goal against? Oddly enough I've recorded instances of it happening more often to the other five defensemen than Enstrom, but I'd like to see if you can dig up anything I may have missed.

Some people like to do this thing called, "exaggerate". Enstrom does great. Some people just focus on one negative too much and therefor miss all the positives he brings to the team...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

I would have to second this unpopular opinion.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Some people like to do this thing called, "exaggerate". Enstrom does great. Some people just focus on one negative too much and therefor miss all the positives he brings to the team...

Especially recently Enstrom has been playing like a little muscle hamster. Winning even more physical battles than he should.

I really haven't seen any of these "big westcoast forwards" causing him any trouble at all. I've seen them cause a ton of trouble for Ellerby and Pardy. Which is odd...you' think those big boys would do so well considering their size. Hm.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Especially recently Enstrom has been playing like a little muscle hamster. Winning even more physical battles than he should.

I really haven't seen any of these "big westcoast forwards" causing him any trouble at all. I've seen them cause a ton of trouble for Ellerby and Pardy. Which is odd...you' think those big boys would do so well considering their size. Hm.

Amazing what you can do when your best asset is between your ears.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada

This. I have to call bs on these media sources. Toby is clearly highly valued by TNSE. As far as actual value, I would have have to say very high. Like two Edm/Calgary firsts or a Sean Monahan.

JCLiponfanboy*

I love doing this... let's compare pro-level d-men depth for handedness that rights are owned or signed past this year...

RHD:
Byfuglien
Bogosian
Trouba (only putting below Bogosian due to experience)
Postma
Redmond
Kichton

LHD:
Enstrom
Clitsome
Ellerby
Kulda
Melchiori
Chiarot
Sol

"One of these things is not like the others"