Value of: Steve Mears

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Compliance buyout Steigerwald. Bring back Lange on a cheap retirement contract as a third wheel to mentor Mears.

mrzeigler

.. but I'm not wrong
Sep 30, 2006
Pittsburgh
While watching USA/Sweden this morning, my wife turned to me and said, "I don't think we're going to have Steve Mears for long."

Of course, what does she know — she initially called him Pat Meares (in her defense, none of us are that sharp during this lockout). But she's right — he's extremely good, and if he doesn't advance within the Pens organization, I think a lot of teams/networks would love to have him.

On the plus side, he's a Pittsburgh guy (Murrysville, if I remember correctly), and we're patient people when it comes to our dream jobs, so if his goal is to be a Pens broadcaster, he'll stick around until it's available, as long as the wait isn't too long.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Yeah, I've seen his ability complimented on other boards too. Just not sure the network will get rid of Steigy to make room for him unfortunately.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Thought he did a tremendous job. Hope he sticks around and makes it on television one day. He calls a very good game.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Hmm, I am probably in the minority. Not a fan. He is OK, but utterly forgettable for me. I wouldn't want him to do our games, even if it meant replacing Steigy.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think he has potential. Definitely not the greatest, but he's young, and he will get better. I wouldn't mind seeing him get better doing Pens broadcasts.

Mister Hockey

Mar 4, 2004
Washington, Pa
I would bring back Tags. I thougt Peter was the best colour guy ever.

He just spoke his mind and knew what he was talking about.

Craig Patrick could not stand it.

That's why Herb Brooks got canned. He spoke his mindm

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

you better not be suggesting we replace Bob Errey. I will hunt you down

Jesus Vitale

Formerly CPZ17
Nov 19, 2010
Pittsburgh
The Pens are in Win-Now mode. I say we should deal him to Minnesota or some other team not quite ready to compete for a winger. I think Steigy and Bob are capable enough to lead us to the Stanley Cup again.

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
He was a total tool to me during my time with the team, completely ignoring me when I'd address him to say hi. Personal feelings aside my thoughts on him as a broadcaster coming from a broadcaster:

He's steady. He has decent skill but is best fit for radio. He's not flashy and it makes it easy for you to forget him or for him to blend in to the background. He doesn't have the ability anticipate plays but relays the action that has just happened. That's fine for radio because you don't see the things that just happened but on TV that translates poorly. He overtalks about the action that happens (uses extra enhancing descriptors for somewhat mundane actions i.e. his "sent to the ground rudely"). He'll be a decent replacement for Lange but I hope he's not on TV.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
I'm not a fan of him either. During the WJC I found him boring and monotone. Whenever Hradek said anything he'd just kinda brush it off or totally ignore it, which can be understandable, maybe there was no chemistry there, but it's like he didn't try either. He was so set on describing the most mundane thing that he didn't bring anything else to the table.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site

Herb Brooks was never "canned". He was the teams interim coach only after Kevin Constantine was fired, and went back to his regular scouting gig the end of the season. In fact, Craig Patrick and the team wanted him to return, but Brooks wasn't interested in full-time coaching any longer preferring to remain rooted at home in Minnesota. Indeed a year later he turned down a huge offer to coach the Rangers.

Patrick and Brooks were basically best friends. Christ, Brooks is probably the one person he looked to for advice the most.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I never thought I'd hear anyone say they missed Peter Taglianetti as a color guy, wow.

The only thing that sticks out to me about his tenure here as a broadcaster is him saying he liked Jagr's haircut, and then catching himself and tacking on "not that I like men or anything!"

What's next, yearning for the salad days of Doug McLeod?

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
I never thought I'd hear anyone say they missed Peter Taglianetti as a color guy, wow.

The only thing that sticks out to me about his tenure here as a broadcaster is him saying he liked Jagr's haircut, and then catching himself and tacking on "not that I like men or anything!"

What's next, yearning for the salad days of Doug McLeod?

Actually, I liked Taglianetti as a color guy as well. He called it like he saw it which would critique the Penguins at times. Of course, that was easy to do.

Regarding Mears, I guess the question would be would you rather have somebody a little behind the play but still calling it or would you rather not have it being called at all while discussing something completely out of left field?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Actually, I liked Taglianetti as a color guy as well. He called it like he saw it which would critique the Penguins at times. Of course, that was easy to do.

Regarding Mears, I guess the question would be would you rather have somebody a little behind the play but still calling it or would you rather not have it being called at all while discussing something completely out of left field?

I liked that he was honest, but he never expanded on his criticism. He'd criticize someone and then just drop it. Another thing that I just remembered about his tenure was "Pierre Turgeon is a good player, no one likes him though." :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad