OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you're looking for the precise number, today's attendance at IG Field was 5,763.

:jets
Having watched the game on OneSoccer (and it was tough because the stream was real bad today with constant freezing) I would say the number is completely legit.

But here's my question: do the owners of the Bombers own Valour FC ala Ticats/Forge FC? If so who owns and runs the stadium. If the Bombers do then essentially would the soccer team essentially be playing rent free which would make it hard to pile up losses (similar to the NE Revolution who are owned by Kraft and play in the Patriots stadium)? Again I don't know the situation and was hoping someone could enlighten me on it.

electroflare

Jun 17, 2018
Having watched the game on OneSoccer (and it was tough because the stream was real bad today with constant freezing) I would say the number is completely legit.

But here's my question: do the owners of the Bombers own Valour FC ala Ticats/Forge FC? If so who owns and runs the stadium. If the Bombers do then essentially would the soccer team essentially be playing rent free which would make it hard to pile up losses (similar to the NE Revolution who are owned by Kraft and play in the Patriots stadium)? Again I don't know the situation and was hoping someone could enlighten me on it.

Yup the Bombers own VFC, otherwise there’d be no way they could afford to play at IGF

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Yes, the ownership structure in Winnipeg is similar to that in Hamilton.

Regarding the stadium (IG Field), it is owned by Triple B Stadium Inc., a consortium of the City of Winnipeg, the Province of Manitoba, the Winnipeg Football Club and the University of Manitoba.

Reactions: sabremike

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Calgary and Hamilton playing in front of family, the friends never bothered to show up!:sarcasm:

electroflare

Jun 17, 2018
Hamilton really has gotten the short end of the stick on game days. 2/3 of their games have been cold and miserable.

For once Winnipeg is the place with the good weather!

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
As the Spring season in the CPL consists of only 10 games per team, I find it odd that some teams like Valour and Forge have already played 4 games whereas Edmonton has only played 1 game so far.

Reactions: sipowicz

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
It’s a great fit actually. I’m pleasantly surprised with the atmosphere. I was worried that 6000 wouldn’t be quite loud enough to create excitement. Kudos to Red River Rising and the energy they bring to the matches!
I am not really a soccer fan but definitely want this team to succeed on and off the field.

I will go to a game eventually. Yesterday was a beautiful afternoon for soccer.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
The crappy Valour FC of the crappy Canadian Premier League actually won a game, frickin shocking!

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The crappy Valour FC of the crappy Canadian Premier League actually won a game, frickin shocking!

It's been a very trying season, to say the least. That shameful display by our ex-captain the previous game was the icing on the cake. At least we have had good attendance. Funny how Toronto has the lowest attendance of all the clubs. Who would have expected that? :sarcasm:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
It's been a very trying season, to say the least. That shameful display by our ex-captain the previous game was the icing on the cake. At least we have had good attendance. Funny how Toronto has the lowest attendance of all the clubs. Who would have expected that? :sarcasm:

Unsurprising considering they are not the only soccer team in town. TFC draws very well.

Electroflare55

May 21, 2017

Can’t even call the league crappy. Cavalry knocked out the Whitecaps, and are currently giving Montreal all they can handle. Likewise, Hamilton is on to Round 2 of the CONCACAF League.

May not be the most tactically sound soccer, but it sure does have potential

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014

Well if it was a real soccer league they would have been relegated after finish last in the first season. Now second season and they are gonna be there again maybe

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Unsurprising considering they are not the only soccer team in town. TFC draws very well.

Of course they do. MLS is top drawer. It's worthy. It's not like Toronto isn't big enough to support a second soccer team. It's just typical Toronto. If it isn't the best, they'll turn their noses up at it. Makes me wonder why they bothered with a team in Toronto, other than... well, it's Toronto, we have to be in Toronto. Would have been better off in a smaller city like K-W or Windsor. Still could, if things don't pick up. I think I could enjoy seeing Toronto lose a team to relocation.

Electroflare55

May 21, 2017
Well if it was a real soccer league they would have been relegated after finish last in the first season. Now second season and they are gonna be there again maybe

Hey now, currently we’re not in last place.

We probably have 7-8 years before we have to worry about being the first team relegated thankfully

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Of course they do. MLS is top drawer. It's worthy. It's not like Toronto isn't big enough to support a second soccer team. It's just typical Toronto. If it isn't the best, they'll turn their noses up at it. Makes me wonder why they bothered with a team in Toronto, other than... well, it's Toronto, we have to be in Toronto. Would have been better off in a smaller city like K-W or Windsor. Still could, if things don't pick up. I think I could enjoy seeing Toronto lose a team to relocation.

I think I hear the sarcasm in the ‘MLS is top drawer’ comment there, and I know you’re an avid footy fan so you’re probably of similar mind as me.

But just to be clear: MLS on its own is just fine, much like the CanPL. Plenty of talent and excitement to be had. Anyone who thinks MLS is ‘worthy’ but turns their nose up at the CanPL is out to lunch, IMO. Both leagues are rubbish piles in the grand scheme.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Who hired Gale? Miller? Terrible hire anyway you slice it. Losing 8-0 at home is embarrassing. And they team's combined summer/fall record is the worst in the CPL. I find that inexcusable given the franchise had a head start on every other franchise along with Hamilton.

Bad management and clearly bad player signings. There should be a housecleaning at the end of the season.

Crowds have taken a noticeable dip the past few games. The fans are obviously not happy with the quality of soccer on display from the home team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad