OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Sharwarma was closed, unless there’s more than one stand? Looked like everything in the end zones was closed and the kiosks on the sides were open.

Disappointing but expected. Guess they figure not enough business from the smaller soccer crowds.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Not sure. I think it's only the East side of the stadium that's open.

That's all I see for ticket availability. Another disappointment. I'm more of a west side person so I can find a shaded seating area. But without my half time Wrath of Khan, probably no reason to go at all now. :pout:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Not sure. I think it's only the East side of the stadium that's open.

For the home opener the west side was open. So people were seated the entirety of the east side as I thought was the configuration. Then the middle 4 or 6 sections of the west side was filled as well. I guess they’ll open it dependent on demand.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Bison football team drew 10,000+ for their first game at the new stadium and are now down to 1 or 2,000.

Other than Winnipeg and the free tickets game in Hamilton the average attendance is 4500. They say break even is 4000.

#NotOptimistic

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
The Bison football team drew 10,000+ for their first game at the new stadium and are now down to 1 or 2,000.

Other than Winnipeg and the free tickets game in Hamilton the average attendance is 4500. They say break even is 4000.

#NotOptimistic

Let’s not compare the two. The Moose had 10,000 first game then down to around 4 or 5 with lots of free tickets. Reason being there’s s much better option here for hockey fans. Just like there’s s much better option here for football fans in the Bombers.

Reactions: sabremike

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
There's a big soccer market here. Bigger than CIS football.
Maybe. But then why did the soccer team draw a slightly smaller crowd for game 1?

I tend to think that the Bisons can occasionally tap into the fan base for all football. And that's bigger than the fan base for soccer.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Maybe. But then why did the soccer team draw a slightly smaller crowd for game 1?

I tend to think that the Bisons can occasionally tap into the fan base for all football. And that's bigger than the fan base for soccer.

I think that Valour FC will have a higher average attendance than the Bisons by a couple thousand. Maybe the Bisons will tap into the football fanbase occasionally, but those instances will be few and far between.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I think the capacity of the lower half of the stadium they're using is just under 7000. The game on the upcoming weekend has 1300 tickets left on ticketmaster. So looking at around 5700 right now. Safe to say 6000+ is a good bet?

Again going by ticketmaster availability, looks like the highest availability of any game is in the 2600 range, so there are roughly 4000 seats already spoken for, for all remaining games.

I think in these early days, Calgary is the one trouble spot, less than 4000 for the opener. Halifax, York and Hamilton all have few tickets left for the spring casmpaign.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg

The Bisons don't sell tickets, even for that opener. I remember it well, I had 55 high school football players there and it didn't cost them a dime. I don't think it's really comparable.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I think the capacity of the lower half of the stadium they're using is just under 7000. The game on the upcoming weekend has 1300 tickets left on ticketmaster. So looking at around 5700 right now. Safe to say 6000+ is a good bet?

Again going by ticketmaster availability, looks like the highest availability of any game is in the 2600 range, so there are roughly 4000 seats already spoken for, for all remaining games.

I think in these early days, Calgary is the one trouble spot, less than 4000 for the opener. Halifax, York and Hamilton all have few tickets left for the spring casmpaign.

I think if you include the loges (which you can't see on ticketmaster), plus the club seats on the suite level and the 30 suites on that side, then the capacity would probably be around 7500 - 8000. Not sure how many suites and loges were full for the last game. regardless, they do count towards attendance.

Calgary is a trouble spot and one of the reasons or perhaps the biggest reason are the ridiculous prices for seats. $250 for club seats and the majority of the seats in the main grandstand are $80 - $100. I can't believe they thought those prices would fly.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
There's a big soccer market here. Bigger than CIS football.

It’s not even worth comparing, really. Canadian Interuniversity sports is basically 150 years of family and friends in the stands, and it has nothing to do with the quality of talent.

There are fourth tier junior hockey leagues in Canada that are better marketed than CIS sports.

Reactions: JetsNut and Cellee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad