OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Not my favourite sport to watch but I hope it gets lots of support!

'Total excitement' as Canadian Premier League announces Valour FC, Winnipeg's new professional soccer team | CBC News

winnipeg-valour-fc-logo.jpg

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Article is saying tickets will average 20 bucks. That's a good price point. It seems like this league is doing things right and not trying to be overly ambitious early. Hopefully it works, Canada could use it's own soccer league. Hopefully Ottawa and Toronto FC2 jump over eventually and it will become a true Canadian 2nd division.

Of note, one of the cooler aspects of soccer would be things like the qualifying for the CONACAF Club Championship. They do it currently through a tournament called I believe Canada Cup. Where lower level teams (including some amateur teams) can compete against teams like Toronto FC or Vancouver Whitecaps for a spot. So potentially a Winnipeg team could be playing MLS teams in that.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Interesting that we're sticking with a military connection for the team's name and logo. I like it! And STs appear to be reasonably priced (average $20 for adults and $12 for youths).

EDIT: here's the text of the CBC article for posterity's sake...
A new professional soccer team will kick off in Winnipeg next year.

The Canadian Premier League announced on Wednesday a Winnipeg franchise, set to play next year at Investors Group Field, will be part of the fledgling league for its inaugural season.

The club will be branded as Valour FC, a name inspired by three Winnipeg soldiers who fought in the First World War and received the Victoria Cross, the highest military recognition for honour and bravery in Commonwealth countries at the time.

The three men lived on the same Winnipeg street, which is now called Valour Road.

The team will be part of an eight- to 10-team league, with a season running from May to October.

"It is time for us to give young Canadian soccer players the opportunity to play professional soccer in Canada," said Wade Miller, president of the Winnipeg Football Club, at the announcement. The non-profit organization, which also operates the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, will run Valour FC.

"I look forward to seeing which Manitobans are on this pitch next year. This is your team, built by our community for the community."

Other than Winnipeg, teams have so far been announced in Calgary, Ontario's York Region and Halifax. A Vancouver Island team was given conditional entry into the league last week.

Like the team's name, the Valour FC logo includes some nods to Winnipeg's history.

"When you see the logo, when you see the identity, when you see the kit colours, I promise you that you will be very proud of your new club, because it was done by Winnipeggers for Winnipeggers," said Premier League commissioner David Clanachan at the team announcement on Wednesday.

The crest design was inspired by the Victoria Cross medal, with a "V" emulating a folded ribbon inside the circle of the maroon medal, Miller said.

The centre of the 'V' represents the meeting of the Red and Assiniboine rivers, and one side of the V forms a "W" for Winnipeg. The whole crest is topped by wheat, representing agriculture.

Early membership deposits to secure seats to Valour FC home games will be available online starting Friday.

Fans will be able to put down a $50 deposit to become founding season-ticket members, with an average ticket price of $20 per game for adults and $12 for youth, the Winnipeg Football Club said in a release.

Last edited:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can't say I follow soccer at all, but I'd be interested in a comparison of this league to say Major League Soccer in Canada and the USA? If you could use hockey equivalents that would be helpful.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada

I'm not really getting that comparison.

The WHL produces hockey talent that goes on to play in the best league in the world and represent Canada Internationally on the Senior men's team.

I would hazard to guess this league is well below the MMJHL in the scheme of world soccer but I guess it is a start.

I would say MLS itself is on a footing with the 2nd division football in England.

If the WHL comparison is to that of a developmental league for top 16-20 year old Canadian soccer players to play in that make sense.

I hope that it is good for soccer development in Canada. We should be much better internationally than we have ever shown. Canada clearly has an issue in developing players.

Reactions: Halberdier

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
I love hockey but I absolutely love my football football as well. The only league I follow on its entirety (as opposed to single teams) is the Premier League.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. I really dig the name and logo for some reason.

Reactions: Jet

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm not really getting that comparison.

The WHL produces hockey talent that goes on to play in the best league in the world and represent Canada Internationally on the Senior men's team.

I would hazard to guess this league is well below the MMJHL in the scheme of world soccer but I guess it is a start.

I would say MLS itself is on a footing with the 2nd division football in England.

If the WHL comparison is to that of a developmental league for top 16-20 year old Canadian soccer players to play in that make sense.

I hope that it is good for soccer development in Canada. We should be much better internationally than we have ever shown. Canada clearly has an issue in developing players.

Canada with the population and relative popularity does ok in soccer. The best athletes are often taken by sports like hockey, football, basketball, etc here. And with just 35ish million people, it means we will never be much of a soccer presence. There is certainly room for improvement.

Canada also has trouble hanging onto the few players they do develop. Guys head overseas and end playing with their new country. A comparable might be like Netherlands in hockey. They don't develop many players, and they finally got a world class one in Daniel Sprong. Who then moved to Canada at 15 years old to continue his hockey career and ended playing for Canada rather than Netherlands. This happens to Canada in soccer.

This will not be a junior league though. It will be 2nd tier of CAN/US soccer, should be roughly equivalent to the USL in the states. Step down from MLS. A hockey comparison might be like the German 2nd division (considering the MLS is like the German Hockey League like 8th or 9th best in the world). Sure largely irrelevant but still pro players. A good stepping stone for young players, one of the few places for good not great Canadian pros, and perhaps even mix in a small number bigger names on the tail end of their careers. Sure it'll be irrelevant on a large scale, but good for Canadian development.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Canada with the population and relative popularity does ok in soccer. The best athletes are often taken by sports like hockey, football, basketball, etc here. And with just 35ish million people, it means we will never be much of a soccer presence. There is certainly room for improvement.

Canada also has trouble hanging onto the few players they do develop. Guys head overseas and end playing with their new country. A comparable might be like Netherlands in hockey. They don't develop many players, and they finally got a world class one in Daniel Sprong. Who then moved to Canada at 15 years old to continue his hockey career and ended playing for Canada rather than Netherlands. This happens to Canada in soccer.

This will not be a junior league though. It will be 2nd tier of CAN/US soccer, should be roughly equivalent to the USL in the states. Step down from MLS. A hockey comparison might be like the German 2nd division (considering the MLS is like the German Hockey League like 8th or 9th best in the world). Sure largely irrelevant but still pro players. A good stepping stone for young players, one of the few places for good not great Canadian pros, and perhaps even mix in a small number bigger names on the tail end of their careers. Sure it'll be irrelevant on a large scale, but good for Canadian development.
MLS isn't even the best soccer league in North America...

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
This is great! I was hoping that Winnipeg would get another pro soccer team. With our diverse immigrant population there is no reason why we can't build a good fan base.

Eventually it would be great to get an MLS team but that would be a long way off.

Reactions: purdy44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->