OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I saw the Fury once, at the old U of M stadium. They could use a smaller stadium, but what the heck.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hockey is not an easy game to watch for many people, because the puck is tiny and moves very fast. I regularly lose sight of where the puck is and sometimes I'll miss a goal because I'm hunting around for where it is. It's the main reason I won't sit where the puck can land. I've been hit twice by the bloody thing at Jets games. :mad: That's one nice thing about soccer. I can always follow the ball, even on the hardest shots. If you've grown up watching soccer, you might find hockey too frustrating to bother with.

:laugh: Amateur soccer is a great game to watch. At the elite level? Unwatchable, IMO. I do not understand its appeal. Without penalty kicks and corner kicks they would almost never score. Very frustrating game to try to watch - and b.o.r.i.n.g! Billions disagree but I can only assume they've never seen an exciting sport. :laugh: And yes, the puck can be hard to follow. That's what instant replay is for. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
:laugh: Amateur soccer is a great game to watch. At the elite level? Unwatchable, IMO. I do not understand its appeal. Without penalty kicks and corner kicks they would almost never score. Very frustrating game to try to watch - and b.o.r.i.n.g! Billions disagree but I can only assume they've never seen an exciting sport. :laugh: And yes, the puck can be hard to follow. That's what instant replay is for. :laugh:

Which elite level are you watching? MLS? Try watching the English Premier League. Then again, you may be one of those people who refuse to accept that the only reason they don't like liver is because they've never had it cooked properly. :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015

You must be watching MLS. Tune into some of the European Leagues or better yet watch some Champions League.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You must be watching MLS. Tune into some of the European Leagues or better yet watch some Champions League.

Nope, never watched an MLS game. Been there. Done that. The crowds may be exciting. The games are not. Almost all the 'play' is in the middle of the field.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Which elite level are you watching? MLS? Try watching the English Premier League. Then again, you may be one of those people who refuse to accept that the only reason they don't like liver is because they've never had it cooked properly. :laugh:

Watched a little international play. Some top Euro leagues. Never much, too boring. The higher the level of competition, the worse it is. Back and forth in the middle of the field, back and forth. Typical score 1-0, decided on a penalty kick.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Clearly you don’t fully understand the game.

Either that or those who watch it do so because they fail to understand it. :laugh: Like I said at the start, billions disagree with me. Obviously, they are all wrong.

I watch just enough to know that it is boring. A lot of scoreless draws decided in extra time by penalty kicks or worse - a shootout. :eek:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Watched a little international play. Some top Euro leagues. Never much, too boring. The higher the level of competition, the worse it is. Back and forth in the middle of the field, back and forth. Typical score 1-0, decided on a penalty kick.

These results from the Premier League suggest it is not always the snooze fest that you make it out to be.
Premier League Football Scores, Results & Season Archives

Do you not appreciate defensive play? Do you want a sport where players score at will pretty much, like basketball? Plus, there's the whole atmosphere that the crowds bring. I love hearing an entire stadium singing.

I think the more you watch soccer, the more you start to appreciate the subtleties of the beautiful game, and the less boring it becomes.

Edit: Yes, I know we're off topic. :laugh:

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Either that or those who watch it do so because they fail to understand it. :laugh: Like I said at the start, billions disagree with me. Obviously, they are all wrong.

I watch just enough to know that it is boring. A lot of scoreless draws decided in extra time by penalty kicks or worse - a shootout. :eek:

Don’t get me wrong, like in any sport there can be boring games. However it’s the technical side and the tactical play that makes the game exciting. Not to mention the moments of briallince from the talented players.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These results from the Premier League suggest it is not always the snooze fest that you make it out to be.
Premier League Football Scores, Results & Season Archives

Do you not appreciate defensive play? Do you want a sport where players score at will pretty much, like basketball? Plus, there's the whole atmosphere that the crowds bring. I love hearing an entire stadium singing.

I think the more you watch soccer, the more you start to appreciate the subtleties of the beautiful game, and the less boring it becomes.

Edit: Yes, I know we're off topic. :laugh:

Every time I try to watch, try to get interested, it is a snooze fest. There is a happy medium between soccer and basketball. :laugh:

Clearly there are subtleties to the game that make it more interesting but when the best aspect of the game is a stadium full of singing fans, something is wrong.

JMO, but I think they need to change the rules to open it up a bit. And no, I can't explain that properly. It is so long since I watched any amount that I have forgotten too much detail. I remember that I always thought the off-side rule was too restrictive.

And yes, we are way OT. I guess we better quit here or move to a more appropriate thread. :laugh: I don't care enough about soccer to open an OT thread for it. Where should we take this?

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I only found out this week what Derby Day means. Arsenal Spurs was a good game. They even have a Kane on one of the teams. He scores goals.

Last edited:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Every time I try to watch, try to get interested, it is a snooze fest. There is a happy medium between soccer and basketball. :laugh:

Clearly there are subtleties to the game that make it more interesting but when the best aspect of the game is a stadium full of singing fans, something is wrong.

JMO, but I think they need to change the rules to open it up a bit. And no, I can't explain that properly. It is so long since I watched any amount that I have forgotten too much detail. I remember that I always thought the off-side rule was too restrictive.

And yes, we are way OT. I guess we better quit here or move to a more appropriate thread. :laugh: I don't care enough about soccer to open an OT thread for it. Where should we take this?

Well it's by far the most followed sport in the world, so not sure they really do need to do that.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
trek_043_by_dave_daring-d6hrrqu-970x545.jpg
Well it's by far the most followed sport in the world, so not sure they really do need to do that.
Well hockey is followed more than soccer outside of the world.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
@Mortimer Snerd

This would be a good place to continue the soccer discussion. Assuming there is still continued interest in the topic. Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to move the assorted soccer posts in the ICE thread over here.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
@Mortimer Snerd

This would be a good place to continue the soccer discussion. Assuming there is still continued interest in the topic. Perhaps a mod would be kind enough to move the assorted soccer posts in the ICE thread over here.

I started a conversation with cheswick because of the OT. This is better.

Its really simple. I didn't grow up with the game so don't have it in my veins. I did get into watching some amateurs who had grown up with it. I even learned the basic rules. It was entertaining at that level. The guys were just good enough to show a little athleticism and team play but not so good as to stifle the opponents. That team folded many years ago. I've watched little since. Tried watching a bit in the Olympics and World Cup - but just too painful, makes fishing with no beer seem like fun. Now I've even forgotten the rule changes I used to think would be good. But so much of the play is just one team kicking to the other, back and forth in the middle of the field. Yeah, I know, they are very subtly maneuvring to get an opening. Many games that opening never does come. :laugh:

Here is what I said to cheswick:
I started that half tongue in cheek, knowing soccer lovers would react. But I do honestly find the game intensely boring. The elite level players are simply too good for the rules. The game needs opening up. Not for its survival. It is surviving quite nicely despite it flaws. It needs opening up to become entertaining in its own right, IMO.

Its popularity depends on several factors that don't contradict my POV at all. It is played by kids all over the world - because it costs practically nothing to play. Kids remain attached to the sport they followed as children. The international element adds tremendously to the rooting interest. The tradition of supporting local teams that have been in the same communities for generations does the same. So it is very popular. That doesn't mean it is good, or that it couldn't stand improvement.

True its popular. And it will probably stay that way as long as it remains the most played by kids sport in the world. And it will because it costs practically nothing to play.

The international competition multiplies the attraction several times over. The rooting interest is very powerful. But the game itself is still boring as hell.

Hmmm - that copy and paste seems a little garbled. I wonder if that is what I actually posted? :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
International soccer isn't the elite level that you'll see in the big 5 European leagues. While teams like Spain and Germany seem like all-star teams, a lot of players at the World Cup, especially on some of the less traditional "soccer countries" have a guy or two playing in England, for example, and then just local guys. Iceland were a big story a couple of years ago - those guys are semi-pros for the most part that hit a good run of results.

The defending is very good at the top level, but so is the attacking creativity. I understand it's not the right sport for a lot of people to watch, but I usually take some degree of offence when people call it "boring". Different strokes for different folks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad