OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I really don’t care for soccer but I dig the name, the military connection, and the logo/colours.
am i the only one who doesn't like the military connection?
Jets
Valour
Bombers (yes, i know the definition, but it has warlike connotations).

waiting for the Goldeyes to be switched to the Princess Pats and camo jerseys 4 everyone

Valour FC, you will always be this in my heart.
1371922322.jpg

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Underrated post

Touche Atlanta....Touche....

Thought y’all would get a kick out of that post. :laugh:

couple of points

1. Atlanta has got over 60,000 at soccer games for their new team
2. $20 is lowest price point not average

Idk what we’re averaging but most nights we got 40,000 to 45000 and about 70000 when they open the top up. Awesome atmosphere. I hope y’all do well and the league does well. Adds more competition in North America.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
They haven't opened the deposits up to the general public yet, but they've been distributing emails with early access codes since at least yesterday. I put my deposit down about 10am this morning and am #547 in line.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I think die-hard soccer fanatics will go, and some kid teams may get free tickets. Remember the Winnipeg Fury? They were a pro soccer team back in the late '80's and early 90's. I went to one game... if you're not a fan of the best soccer in the world, watching minor league soccer is excruciating.

Of course, it's a different era, so good luck to the Valour.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I love hockey but I absolutely love my football football as well. The only league I follow on its entirety (as opposed to single teams) is the Premier League.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this. I really dig the name and logo for some reason.
Why do some teams insist on adding "FC" to their names/logos? It comes across as such a hipster-doofus "soccer tradition wannabe" to me.

However, I find the name "Valour" highly original and highly meaningful.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why do some teams insist on adding "FC" to their names/logos? It comes across as such a hipster-doofus "soccer tradition wannabe" to me.

However, I find the name "Valour" highly original and highly meaningful.
Technically the team is the Valour Football Club, so Valour FC makes sense. It's just a nod to the European soccer tradition of calling the team a football club.

What's weird and hipsterish is teams adopting names like United or Real ("Royal") when they aren't actually a unification of two or more previous clubs or haven't received a royal charter (who's the royalty in Salt Lake City, exactly? What teams came together to create Atlanta United?).

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Could you imagine Pavelec’s G.A.A. with nets that big ? :sarcasm:
No wonder he chose hockey

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
This thread is about soccer team. Discussing military or wars etc is OT, consider this your one free warning. Stay on topic.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
It's too bad they have to play at investors group....its waaaayyyy to big....soccer is about atmosphere and the atmosphere will suck there IMO.

I have been to games in Europe packed with 50k in a stadium and also a small stadium packed to the rafters with 7.5k and both were a blast to be at...

Now a 30k seat stadium with 7k will feel really blah.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laine Fan

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It's too had they have to play at investors group....its waaaayyyy to big....soccer is about atmosphere and the atmosphere will suck there IMO.

I have been to games in Europe packed with 50k in a stadium and also a small stadium packed to the rafters with 7.5k and both were a blast to be at...

Now a 30k seat stadium with 7k will feel really blah.
I've been kind of curious what they expect attendance to be like? I have little knowledge of the soccer community to know how much demand there will be for tickets. I do hope they do well.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
Dont quote me but I think a team rep on 1290 said they need around 5 to 6k to break even.....

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Investors Field would then seem a bit big for that amount of people. But there really isn't any other options.

Quite a few teams will be playing out of CFL stadiums. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary at least. When Halifax gets their CFL team the stadium will likely be a CFL stadium first (ie 25K+ capacity). It won't be uncommon.

Goldeyes like attendance (5-8K) is a realistic goal I would think. Considering some teams will be playing out of 3K stadiums, that should be lots. They will likely close the upper decks and tarp off the endzones.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Quite a few teams will be playing out of CFL stadiums. Hamilton, Winnipeg, Calgary at least. When Halifax gets their CFL team the stadium will likely be a CFL stadium first (ie 25K+ capacity). It won't be uncommon.

Goldeyes like attendance (5-8K) is a realistic goal I would think. Considering some teams will be playing out of 3K stadiums, that should be lots. They will likely close the upper decks and tarp off the endzones.
I wonder if they are successful, some thought would be put into building a better fit stadium?

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Depending on then the schedule the games, I think they will be successful here. Seems to be a lot of interest across the country in this league. It’s great that there are other major cities like Edmonton and Calgary in the mix.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
Depending on then the schedule the games, I think they will be successful here. Seems to be a lot of interest across the country in this league. It’s great that there are other major cities like Edmonton and Calgary in the mix.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I wonder if they are successful, some thought would be put into building a better fit stadium?

Possible. This league doesn't even start up until 2019 so it's too early to tell. It's hard to say how well this league does. The eventual goal is to have 2/3 levels with promotion/relegation between them. They've already talked to 22 markets they for the initial expansion they've said. We'll see what happens going forward.

It could take off and maybe Winnipeg becomes a elite CPL team near top of top division with 20K+ attendance. We have the finances to stay ahead of the 20 other teams and win championships. Then maybe we play in the Canada Cup against teams like Toronto FC, Vancouver Whitecaps, Montreal Impact and pull off a disgusting upset to win it. No idea how they will assign spots for the Canada Cup once this league goes live but even right now a Winnipeg v Toronto FC game probably draws 20K+. Remember right now all 3 MLS teams have a bye in, 1 USL team (Ottawa) has a bye in, and the last two spot go to 2 best amateur teams in two best amateur leagues. So very feasible most if not all of CPL teams get into it competing for a CONACAF club championship spot. Then all of the sudden Winnipeg would be in CONCACAF cup playing against the best club teams in NA. That's one of, if not the coolest thing that soccer does.

I don't even like soccer, but at the price point they are starting at I will definitely check out some games.

Reactions: Lions67

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg

Actually, Calgary FC will play out of the Spruce Meadows equestrian complex. The capacity is currently 25,000 but planned renovations will result in a new soccer-specific stadium with an additional 5,000 seats and a world-class grass pitch. Perhaps they have a goal of eventually seeking membership in MLS which would require a stadium of that size.

:jets

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad