OT: Valour FC: Winnipeg's new professional soccer team

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Why do people dig the military connection? I cringe everytime I see some pushed military advert thing in NHL games.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Well the us military thinks it does. They've been paying nfl/nhl/mlb/NBA teams millions upon millions of dollars for years to promote military nights and themes.

There's a difference between a theme night and a team name. And this isn't the US military.

Reactions: sipowicz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
There's a difference between a theme night and a team name. And this isn't the US military.

I highly doubt Canadian military is different.

I doubt have a problem with military connections. Just saying that the military does uses sports for recruitment, which makes sense due to demographic of sports fans (often young males) is where their recruitment comes from primarily.

Anyways I'm not a soccer fan but this is kinda cool. Hopefully the valor are good. I'm most excited for probably the Canada cup. I'm guessing all 8 cpl teams will get in a much expanded bracket. It would be real cool to see Valour play Toronto FC or the Whitecaps. I'll probably go check out a game or two next year either way.

It appears this league is doing it right. Realistic goals building slowly. I think if it goes well in first couple years you'll see TFC2 and Ottawa jump leagues. The have said long term goal is 16-24 with 2 divisions with promotion relegation, that'd be awesome.

Darth Jet

Mar 10, 2015
Winnipeg
giphy.gif

Reactions: purdy44

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I really like the road jersey but find the home jersey to be just ok.

think I may take my mini me to go check out the game on the 11th. should be a fun atmosphere if the weather is nice.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Anyone else catch the first CPL match today? As a Ticats fan I have adopted Forge FC as my team and signed up for the streaming service (which worked OK but there were constant freezes in the last 10 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game so I hope they work out the glitches). Was actually impressed by the level of play, I can remember the first season of MLS and this was a million times better than that. Honestly thought it was as good as USL and maybe a little better. If Forge played in MLS they probably wouldn't make the playoffs but they would at least be competitive. Just wish they weren't doing the stupid NASL split season. Of all the leagues you could copy they are the very last one I would copy.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Anyone else catch the first CPL match today? As a Ticats fan I have adopted Forge FC as my team and signed up for the streaming service (which worked OK but there were constant freezes in the last 10 minutes of the first half and the last 5 minutes of the game so I hope they work out the glitches). Was actually impressed by the level of play, I can remember the first season of MLS and this was a million times better than that. Honestly thought it was as good as USL and maybe a little better. If Forge played in MLS they probably wouldn't make the playoffs but they would at least be competitive. Just wish they weren't doing the stupid NASL split season. Of all the leagues you could copy they are the very last one I would copy.

What's the point of the split season? Looking at the Valour schedule there's only like 2 weeks off between halves.

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I know a few recently arrived Brazilians who are really pumped about this new team, even though they are aware of the likely level of play. I think this franchise has a lot of long term potential and will draw well.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
I'm looking forward to seeing how they do. I'm far from a soccer expert, but they seem to have assembled a reasonably strong management staff. I imagine we'll go a game or two over the summer...be nice for it to get above 10 degrees at some point, though.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone see the Joke of a field at a horse stables for Calgary’s CPL team, looks like it holds about 2K!

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan

Using a split season isn't copying NASL. They are common in central and south American football. Mexico, Argentina, Chile etc etc all use split seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->