Valiquette as the next GM or Coach of the New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
This just seems too obvious to me.

Whether it be front office or behind the bench, this guy checks all the boxes.

His knowledge of the game, knowledge of the team, insight, connections, background as a player, background within the franchise, social IQ, social psychology, use of analytics...

Could you have a better organizational fit?

Sign me up for Vally in either role. He has the “it” factor for me.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This just seems too obvious to me.

Whether it be front office or behind the bench, this guy checks all the boxes.

His knowledge of the game, knowledge of the team, insight, connections, background as a player, background within the franchise, social IQ, social psychology, use of analytics...

Could you have a better organizational fit?

Sign me up for Vally in either role. He has the “it” factor for me.
I would love to see him show Michelletti the door.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
maybe in 5-10 years if he gains related experience

but for now, he is just a smart talking head,
who gets to focus and invest on just what he chooses to
sure he has potential,
but if he is gonna learn on the job, better off it not be here

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Yes - because Valiquette’s intellect and value really resembles Garth Snow...

If only common sense was common.

Garth Snow was considered a very smart hockey guy, he just had 0 experience in the job much like Vali. Its easy to sit back and criticize on tv or explain whats wrong, its another thing to be able to make deals or coaching decisions to change those things

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would be excited about him having a role but not necessarily that role.

Being good at analyzing results and producing good results are two different things.

I could tell you what David Quinn is doing smack-you-the-face obviously wrong 25 hours a day. That doesn't mean I would know how to coach.

That being said, the Rangers absolutely could use somebody in the organization whose role it is to shout "WHAT YOU'RE DOING f***ING SUCKS!!" when they get on their bullshit.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
GM or coach without any experience leading up to it, no.

As an advisor to one of those positions, or assistant GM once Drury finally gets nabbed by another team; sure.

Reactions: egelband

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
What has Lundqvist done to even indicate he's:

A. Qualified
B. Interested
I just don't see Hank as a coach. I just remember the body language when a dman would screen him or make a mistake and I don't know if he could handle players not executing the game plan. I feel like you could see him as a "Director of European Scouting" where he could use the connections he has made as a national hero in Sweden to his advantage and it wouldn't require him being on the road with the team every night. But I don't know the man and have no idea what his actual plans for himself are once his playing days are over.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I just don't see Hank as a coach. I just remember the body language when a dman would screen him or make a mistake and I don't know if he could handle players not executing the game plan. I feel like you could see him as a "Director of European Scouting" where he could use the connections he has made as a national hero in Sweden to his advantage and it wouldn't require him being on the road with the team every night. But I don't know the man and have no idea what his actual plans for himself are once his playing days are over.

That's the thing. You never know which players grow into a role like that. I would have never guessed that out of all our former players, it'd be Steve Eminger, Tanner Glass and Jed Ortmeyer who would end up doing our scouting and player development

Reactions: egelband

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
That's the thing. You never know which players grow into a role like that. I would have never guessed that out of all our former players, it'd be Steve Eminger, Tanner Glass and Jed Ortmeyer who would end up doing our scouting and player development
True. Those guys are pretty random. I would imagine the bottom line for Hank is going to be whether he wants to stay in the U.S. or wants to return to Sweden. I mean, he's always going to be a celebrity in NY but I would imagine he is much more well known in Sweden. I believe he has mentioned returning to the Rangers in some capacity, but if he did want to return to Sweden, how many roles can he legitimately fill?

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I think he's really good as an on air personality and I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Joe. But he's very good at his current role so I'm not in a rush to move him to something else.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
There is a lot more to coaching and general managing beyond understanding tactics and stats. I can see Vally being an asset to the front office in a “special assistant” role, but wouldn’t put him above that without more experience.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I can see a coaching gig at some point. He does know his shit pretty well and is enjoyable to listen to. GM though? Nah.

I would love to see him show Michelletti the door.

C'on, Joe is fine, we are lucky to have one of the better announcers in the league. He's no JD but he's definitely tolerable.

Reactions: Daves a mess

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hell no.

We going to make a political scientist president of the United States next?

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I’d like to see him and Kenny announce our games. Sam and Joe are fine but ehhh some point you need a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad