Valiquette as the next GM or Coach of the New York Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
In 1981 Craig Patrick was G.M. Of the Rangers and laid out a 7 year plan. In the 1985/86 then head coach Ted Sator took the team to the conference finals to lose to a Montreal Canadian team led by their goalie Patrick Roy. Roy was a wall.
Phil Esposito was the color commentator for the Rangers and was not kind to the the style and the makeup of the team and would constantly state that.
Patrick was fired and went on to win cups with the Penguin organization and Esposito was named G.M. where he soon fired Sator and traded Rangers leader Bob Brooke. Not to long after that he started to dismantle that team earning him the moniker Trader Phil. I heard a radio interview once with his assistant G.M. Joe something (don't recall his last name) and if my memory serves me he stated that Mike Ridley was traded because he didn't smile in the locker room.
I like Steve Valiquette but I don't think he would transition well to coach or G.M. with out him learning those jobs through actual experience at a lower level or position.
I have been a fan of this team for decades and some of the worst years were the Esposito G.M. years.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Steve should absolutely be part of our Analytics Department (which, last I checked, is just Jim Sullivan and some other guy,) but do you really want to be the team that promotes their post-game analyst to f***ing General Manager? We’d get made fun of for literally the next fifty years. :laugh:

Steve does not strike me as a good fit for that role anyway. GM is not just about hockey, it’s about being a businessman. Steve seems to be a pure “hockey guy”.

Have you seen how he relates to players? Like one tier below sideline-soccer-mom showin’ up with f***ing orange slices and shrieking up and down the field (and I don’t mean that in a negative way.) He’d never trade anyone. :laugh:

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Steve should absolutely be our Director of Hockey Analytics (if the Rangers ever become hip,) but do you really want to be the team that promotes their post-game analyst to f***ing General Manager? We’d get made fun of for literally the next fifty years. :laugh:

Steve does not strike me as a good fit for that role anyway. GM is not just about hockey, it’s about being a businessman. Steve seems to be a pure “hockey guy”.

Have you seen how he relates to players? Like one tier below sideline-soccer-mom showin’ up with f***ing orange slices and shrieking up and down the field (and I don’t mean that in a negative way.) He’d never trade anyone. :laugh:

:laugh: Good one. This organization never ever is leading the pack with anything. My guess is that they will be the last team to jump on the analytics wagon in rougly 2037

Reactions: Larrybiv

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
:laugh: Good one. This organization never ever is leading the pack with anything. My guess is that they will be the last team to jump on the analytics wagon in rougly 2037
Apparently they discreetly gave Jim Sullivan a job titled related to fancy stats a while ago, and have since hired one more person listed as Performance Analyst.

But still, if we don’t even know we have an Analytics Department, it’s really the same point lol

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Apparently they discreetly gave Jim Sullivan a job titled related to fancy stats a while ago, and have since hired one more person listed as Performance Analyst.

But still, if we don’t even know we have an Analytics Department, it’s really the same point lol

Yeah, this organization is just very conservative. It changed a bit when Gorton took over. It's visible. But there are quite a few aspects where the Rangers just don't commit the same way other teams do. In certain ways they are still stuck in the 90s

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Steve should absolutely be part of our Analytics Department (which, last I checked, is just Jim Sullivan and some other guy,) but do you really want to be the team that promotes their post-game analyst to f***ing General Manager? We’d get made fun of for literally the next fifty years. :laugh:

Kind of agree, we got the last one as President. ;)

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I can see a coaching gig at some point. He does know his shit pretty well and is enjoyable to listen to. GM though? Nah.

C'on, Joe is fine, we are lucky to have one of the better announcers in the league. He's no JD but he's definitely tolerable.

JD was a great announcer at the beginning. By the end he was one of the worst. He had certain players he refused to say negative things about. One time, Messier made a backpass to no one that led to a breakaway goal. JD never said a word.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Because he's talking out of his ass for a very long time now and people are tired of him.

----

I'm sure OP had good intentions but this thread is dumb.

Talking out of his ass?

Knows the game. Seems like a nice guy.

I think fans get tired of everyone and some seem to hate every talking head. I don't give a shit who announces.

Reactions: Bluenote13

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would be excited about him having a role but not necessarily that role.

Being good at analyzing results and producing good results are two different things.

I could tell you what David Quinn is doing smack-you-the-face obviously wrong 25 hours a day. That doesn't mean I would know how to coach.

That being said, the Rangers absolutely could use somebody in the organization whose role it is to shout "WHAT YOU'RE DOING f***ING SUCKS!!" when they get on their bullshit.

We certainly had that with Torts and it worked for a while until it didn’t work. Too tight a ship while bringing in teenagers like Kakko and Lafreniere and though easier adaptable but more wide eyed 20 year olds like Miller and Kravtsov i don’t think would work very well for us right now.
I wouldn’t go near Babcock with a million mile pole and Gallant, Boudreaux and Julien are win at all costs no matter what and their approach might help someone like Kakko or might not.

To me if there was a college coach that I would have loved for the Rangers to hire it would have been Scott Sandelin but apparently no one asked or else he’s very happy where he is. I don’t see Quinn as a huge problem though. I expect to see him back next year and the team go to the playoffs.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
JD was a great announcer at the beginning. By the end he was one of the worst. He had certain players he refused to say negative things about. One time, Messier made a backpass to no one that led to a breakaway goal. JD never said a word.
JD was a company guy but he was great at that job. In those dark years there was alot to complain about, but you rarely see people employed by the team bashing players too hard. I dislike Michelletti because I find he rarely brings anything to the broadcast that you can't obviously see yourself. I kid but really I can already tell if it's been a long shift or the pkers are tired. This is where I think Valli would be better, breaking down a play or who missed coverage, but I think he's a littel too long winded to get his thoughts out before the play has moved on and he's talking over the play by play.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This just seems too obvious to me.

Whether it be front office or behind the bench, this guy checks all the boxes.

His knowledge of the game, knowledge of the team, insight, connections, background as a player, background within the franchise, social IQ, social psychology, use of analytics...

Could you have a better organizational fit?

Sign me up for Vally in either role. He has the “it” factor for me.

no, and def not as GM.
If he has something positive to contribute in terms of analysis, and can be an additional fresh voice, then I would green light consultant.
But not a position of authority where he pulls the trigger.

maybe in 5-10 years if he gains related experience

but for now, he is just a smart talking head,
who gets to focus and invest on just what he chooses to
sure he has potential,
but if he is gonna learn on the job, better off it not be here

again, If he has something positive to contribute in terms of analysis, and can be an additional fresh voice, then I would green light consultant.
but no authority

In 1981 Craig Patrick was G.M. Of the Rangers and laid out a 7 year plan. In the 1985/86 then head coach Ted Sator took the team to the conference finals to lose to a Montreal Canadian team led by their goalie Patrick Roy. Roy was a wall.
Phil Esposito was the color commentator for the Rangers and was not kind to the the style and the makeup of the team and would constantly state that.
Patrick was fired and went on to win cups with the Penguin organization and Esposito was named G.M. where he soon fired Sator and traded Rangers leader Bob Brooke. Not to long after that he started to dismantle that team earning him the moniker Trader Phil. I heard a radio interview once with his assistant G.M. Joe something (don't recall his last name) and if my memory serves me he stated that Mike Ridley was traded because he didn't smile in the locker room.
I like Steve Valiquette but I don't think he would transition well to coach or G.M. with out him learning those jobs through actual experience at a lower level or position.
I have been a fan of this team for decades and some of the worst years were the Esposito G.M. years.

Never forgiven Cat Francis for the Ratelle+Park for Espo+Vadnais debacle.
Yeah, also Zanussi.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
JD was a company guy but he was great at that job. In those dark years there was alot to complain about, but you rarely see people employed by the team bashing players too hard. I dislike Michelletti because I find he rarely brings anything to the broadcast that you can't obviously see yourself. I kid but really I can already tell if it's been a long shift or the pkers are tired. This is where I think Valli would be better, breaking down a play or who missed coverage, but I think he's a littel too long winded to get his thoughts out before the play has moved on and he's talking over the play by play.

To me, Michelletti is better than JD in that job.

Can't see why Valiquette would want to change what he does because he seems to love it, but I don't know the guy, personally, obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad