News: Vadim Shipachyov retires (official 11/9/17)

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't get that argument. Other players won't sign with them because if this? Not buying it.

Someone who needs a contract will take a contract. If they are picky enough to choose other teams over Vegas it will be because they didn't want to play in Vegas, not because they are defending the honor of shippy.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I don't get that argument. Other players won't sign with them because if this? Not buying it.

Someone who needs a contract will take a contract. If they are picky enough to choose other teams over Vegas it will be because they didn't want to play in Vegas, not because they are defending the honor of shippy.

Has nothing to do with honouring Ship and everything to do with wanting a semblance of job security

Reactions: Pile

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McPhee is one of the NHL's worst GM's, and he has built a terrible roster. Didn't give his team's best players minutes because 3rd and 4th liners got off to an unsustainable start and he didn't want to put defensemen on waivers that no one was going to trade for.

And Vegas screwed themselves over this season by starting out so well. This was the draft to tank, get Dahlin, now they'll pick like 7th or 8th, even if they start losing a lot of games. They won't be able to draft a generational player, and they'll have the worst roster in the league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I find it hilarious how people are still grilling McPhee for this while literally no other team wanted him. Maybe Shipachyov is just a bad NA hockey player, and being a prima donna about playing in the NHL makes teams not want him? No way, the collective ideas of HF just know so much more than McPhee.
No other team wanted him at that price.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago

How do you not get that argument? It has nothing to do with honoring another player..

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
NHL Career Summary...

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Hey Joe Sakic...

WHAT THE **** ARE YOU DOING?

You have been openly and embarrassingly shopping an offensive center for two years but have yet to trade him. You are a tire fire of a hockey team with low expectations this season. You have a sizeable contingent of Russians on your active roster. You have cap space. You have an open roster spot. And there is a 30 year old Russian offensive center on a two year contract available to you FOR FREE.

Why would the rebuilding, in the middle of a youth movement, Avs want a 30yo too 6 C? Especially with Compher, Kerfoot & Jost already breaking in at that position?

The avs need to move Duchene for futures to get younger and to draft Dahlin / Smith / McIsaac next spring.

Reactions: Arnusson

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I hope McPhee personally apologized to Ship. I think McPhee salted the earth in Vegas for Russian free agents and perhaps even college free agents for ~10 years by handling this the way he did.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Why would the rebuilding, in the middle of a youth movement, Avs want a 30yo too 6 C? Especially with Compher, Kerfoot & Jost already breaking in at that position?

The avs need to move Duchene for futures to get younger and to draft Dahlin / Smith / McIsaac next spring.
To be competitive? To be better? To gain a free asset who may become a top six NHL center?

The trade everything away for young players rebuild is a flawed method. Look at Arizona.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This seems dumb . Its not like his contract is that small. You sign a guy as an international FA for 4.5 Million per then barely play him and buy him out after not even playing 15 games with him just dressing in 3. I don't get it Vegas can easily afford to give him some time . Its not like they're contenders. Yes they're off to a hot start but i sincerely doubt this is a permanent thing . If he still sucks after the year or at the deadline you can still buy him out . I don't know seems like a massive waste.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Hahahaha I love how triggered this guy is because McPhee didn’t give baby his bottle.

You’re baby. Your bottle is trade news.

>muh trade

I've had McPhee run my team into the ground for 15 years, I know compared to Benning he's brilliant but for the rest of us that still doesn't cut it. Then again I'm talking to some genius who probably took part in burning his city to the ground his team got rekt by boston in 2011 lmao

Reactions: Arnusson

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Crickets as no GM lining up to acquire him.

Yeah, truly a mystery why they wouldn't acquire a rookie on a 2 year 4.5 million deal after having set their roster and spent their budgets. Totally proves that Vegas handled him adequately. 3 games is probably even too much for a high profile free agent to prove himself, especially on a team full of such amazing players.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
But if he is so good they should all be lining up to get him. It is a free top 6 Center according to people here.

Feb 24, 2017
>muh trade

I've had McPhee run my team into the ground for 15 years, I know compared to Benning he's brilliant but for the rest of us that still doesn't cut it. Then again I'm talking to some genius who probably took part in burning his city to the ground his team got rekt by boston in 2011 lmao
In 1994 I was too young to drive to get downtown to riot, and in 2011 I picked my girlfriend up after her shift at St. Paul’s to get her the heck out of downtown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad