News: Vadim Shipachyov retires (official 11/9/17)

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
What if Ship changes his mind and isn't willing to terminate the contract in the future?

giphy.gif

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He wouldn't play for a couple of weeks in the AHL making 4.5 million for two years.

If you're a GM and really think it's 100% all about VGK mismanagement and ego, I guess it's worth a shot.

From a professional capacity why should he have to? This isn't some kid or prospect here, he's a 30 year old 9 year KHL vet. And it's not like Vegas tried him and it didn't work out, they jerked him around at the start of the season because McPhee was holding on to too many dmen.

I mean I haven't been following Vegas too closely and I see he got in three games, but with them being an expansion team and having no expectations you'd think they'd start him for a while on a scoring line right from the beginning and see how it goes. He wouldn't be the first vet to have a poor start to a season.

Kravchuk

May 31, 2017
The guys here who are talking about Ship as some random guy from Russia:
[mod]
Or did you honestly never hear about the line with Panarin-Ship-Dadonov?
They where pretty good together. When Panarin moved to Chicago (psst, a secret: he scored a few points there) Ship and Dadonov continued to be just as good together with Nikita Gusev.
When both Ship and Dadonov left from NHL many russians I talked with stated that Ship was the better player of the two and that Ship was behind a lot of Dadonovs success.
Now Dadonov is PPG in NHL (small sample size) and Ship is an AHL player?
Okey...
PS. I bet Gusev really wanna leave Russia for Vegas now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Arnusson

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I am really emboldened in my belief, that as a free agent I'd easily choose Vegas Golden Knights.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
So what if Vegas terminates his contract and instead of going back to Russia, he decides to wait as a UFA until some team picks him up for cheaper? Is that a possibility?

Why bother? If you're talking about a cheaper contract then he can probably make just as good money in Russia.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
So what if Vegas terminates his contract and instead of going back to Russia, he decides to wait as a UFA until some team picks him up for cheaper? Is that a possibility?
I think so. I don't think teams were worried about his 3M salary as much as The second year and the cap hit. It will be up to his agent if he can find another team.

Feb 24, 2017
No one thought about the possibility that there might be a problem with him that you aren't aware of? Which would be the reason why Vegas doesn't want him anymore and no GM would touch him with a 10ft pole?

Nope, it's the GMs that are crazy aren't they?
Be careful. You’ll be branded as appealing to authority. That’s the new buzz phrase around here people use to excuse the fact they’re know nothing keyboard warriors.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think I should have been clearer when I was criticizing the GMs of other teams. My criticism wasn't for not getting a trade done, but that they're going to let him go back to Russia. He's pretty much a UFA again.

They couldn't get a deal done, and Shipachyov clearly hasn't enjoyed his time here. He probably wants to go back home. I'm sure many NHL teams would want him, but does Shipachyov want to be with them? Probably not.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Why bother? If you're talking about a cheaper contract then he can probably make just as good money in Russia.

He wants to play in the best league in the world with the best players in the world. That's why. At this point, the money should be secondary - if I were him, I'd just try to get on any damn team so I could stick it to Vegas whenever I got a chance to play them again.

This guy is legit talent, and I don't buy for a second that he couldn't hack the NA style of play. This is pure ******* by McPhee and all on him.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Lousy story. Too bad for him. Uproots his family and gets shafted by McPhee. I have a hard time believing he can't play in the NHL and that no team would give him a shot. I think he figures he's been dicked around ... shattered dreams and he's heading home.

Nobody wants him. His agent even went out and couldn't find someone to take him. He'll clear, and then he'll go back to Russia.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It's possible, but keep in mind his NHL salary this season is $3m (with a $2m signing bonus already paid). How cheap do you think he'd be willing to sign for with another NHL club after termination?

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
It's possible, but keep in mind his NHL salary this season is $3m (with a $2m signing bonus already paid). How cheap do you think he'd be willing to sign for with another NHL club after termination?

I think it is less about money and more about a guaranteed spot.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Based on his half hour of icetime in which he scored a goal? Or was that based on his practice habits with the AHL team? He was sent to the minors and left to rot, then called up and given no time to accustom himself to the game, then sent back down.

He obviously didn't impress the coach and GMGM couldn't find a suitor. His agent couldn't find a suitor. This isn't some 24 year old kid. NHL teams have high expectations when they offer 2 year deals with a $2M signing bonus.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
He's not an NHL center. Some of you need to let it go.

Is that what you are saying to justify the Habs not acquiring him, when they need C's so desperately? Pretty sure he would slot in quite easily as your #2.

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Smear me all over with stinky hot confused...

Why doesn't Montreal sign this guy?

They are practically panhandling in the streets for an offensive center,

Every day I expect my phone to ring, find Berginvan on the other end offering me a contract (Marc:"So, we hear you make some nice passes at the 12-noon pick-up no-hitter? We think you could step in and play top 6 on this team" Me: "Well, I can only really stop on one side, when I stop on my left edge I usually fall" Marc: "Yeah, Yeah whatever that's what coaches are for" Me "I think I'll pass you guys kind of suck" Marc: "We have the best Goalie in the world" Me: "That's like having the best Beta video system in the world" Marc: "We've got that too! Me"I dunno..I play center at pick up, why does that make me an NHL center? Marc: "Because I CHOOSE who is and isn't an NHL center, we had a guy who scored 30 goals but is a pudgy little punch-face that gets on my nerves, so BAM! I made him a fourth line winger, and there's this other guy, a real douche-bag but he's French so I said YOUR A CENTER and BAM! Now he's a #1 NHL center. Me: "Why don't you take that 30 goal guy from the 4th line and make HIM a center again?" Marc: "Do you have a hearing problem? Tabernacle...I said, he's fat and I DON'T LIKE HIM. Me: "Well...ok..but...nah" Marc: Stupid English Pig! SLAMS DOWN PHONE)

Yeah, like that..

Reactions: zeeto

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Is that what you are saying to justify the Habs not acquiring him, when they need C's so desperately? Pretty sure he would slot in quite easily as your #2.

Because Vegas is somehow loaded in the C dept.?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
For all the disappointment that's being discussed in this thread, I can assure you the most disappointed people are likely sitting at their desks in City National Arena.

Feb 24, 2017
Smear me all over with stinky hot confused...

Why doesn't Montreal sign this guy?

They are practically panhandling in the streets for an offensive center,

Every day I expect my phone to ring, find Berginvan on the other end offering me a contract (Marc:"So, we hear you make some nice passes at the 12-noon pick-up no-hitter? We think you could step in and play top 6 on this team" Me: "Well, I can only really stop on one side, when I stop on my left edge I usually fall" Marc: "Yeah, Yeah whatever that's what coaches are for" Me "I think I'll pass you guys kind of suck" Marc: "We have the best Goalie in the world" Me: "That's like having the best Beta video system in the world" Marc: "We've got that too! Me"I dunno..I play center at pick up, why does that make me an NHL center? Marc: "Because I CHOOSE who is and isn't an NHL center, we had a guy who scored 30 goals but is a pudgy little punch-face that gets on my nerves, so BAM! I made him a fourth line winger, and there's this other guy, a real *****e-bag but he's French so I said YOUR A CENTER and BAM! Now he's a #1 NHL center. Me: "Why don't you take that 30 goal guy from the 4th line and make HIM a center again?" Marc: "Do you have a hearing problem? Tabernacle...I said, he's fat and I DON'T LIKE HIM. Me: "Well...ok..but...nah" Marc: Stupid English Pig! SLAMS DOWN PHONE)

Yeah, like that..
This post isn’t funny. Like not even a little.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Because Vegas is somehow loaded in the C dept.?

Vegas misplayed this situation. They sent him down to start the season to keep all their plug #7 and #8 D. This obviously created friction between him and management. Can you blame him, given he agreed to sign there?

Shipachyov is not some plug, like some on here are making him out to be. Maybe GM's don't want the cap hit? Maybe McPhee was greedy with the asking price? Maybe he really wants to back to Russia, but to act like this guy has no talent, or that you can see his NHL future in three games is silly. Anyone who has seen this guy play can see that he has talent.

Reactions: Morrison

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Vegas misplayed this situation. They sent him down to start the season to keep all their plug #7 and #8 D. This obviously created friction between him and management. Can you blame him, given he agreed to sign there?

Shipachyov is not some plug, like some on here are making him out to be. Maybe GM's don't want the cap hit? Maybe McPhee was greedy with the asking price? Maybe he really wants to back to Russia, but to act like this guy has no talent, or that you can see his NHL future in three games is silly. Anyone who has seen this guy play can see that he has talent.

Are you still blaming GMGM for this? It's Gallant who decides who gets to play.

Let it go, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad