Confirmed with Link: Vaclav Burda chief Euro scout leaves for Oilers

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It's only one year, and after a few years we can come to more rounded conclusions, but I can't for the life of me, given how unbelievably well we finished up last season, that anyone can say that Dorian has been just 'OK'.

I mean, give credit where it's due, and take it away when it's due. Most folks complain about his trades based on what they think will happen in the future, but really, we can't let suppositions of the future come into play when evaluating the now. Maybe in two years looking back we can say that Burrows sucks, Dahlen is great, Brassard is garbage and Zib is awesome, and boy those late rounds picks turned into special players for other teams, but for right now I can't see how anyone can argue that Dorian has not produced exceptional results in his first year at the helm.

Was it flash in the pan? We'll find out, but for now the results speak for themselves.

You don't get nominated for GM of the year by your peers when you just did an 'OK' job, come on now.

Its just my opinion at this point. Obviously the Sens had a great finish to a regular season that was good enough to get them to the dance. At this point I give more of the credit to Boucher than to Dorion but that's just me and I am not trying to sell anyone on it. Dorion hired Boucher which was a good move. The 4th line was pretty bad all year and Dorion took steps to improve the depth in the bottom 6. Boucher, imo, had a signicant hand in the acquisitions that would work in his system and that would gel with the team. I could very well be wrong about just giving him an "OK" grade but that's where I am with him right now. I don't think Dorion really did anything I would call special.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Its just my opinion at this point. Obviously the Sens had a great finish to a regular season that was good enough to get them to the dance. At this point I give more of the credit to Boucher than to Dorion but that's just me and I am not trying to sell anyone on it. Dorion hired Boucher which was a good move. The 4th line was pretty bad all year and Dorion took steps to improve the depth in the bottom 6. Boucher, imo, had a signicant hand in the acquisitions that would work in his system and that would gel with the team. I could very well be wrong about just giving him an "OK" grade but that's where I am with him right now. I don't think Dorion really did anything I would call special.

Why stop at the end of the regular season? I'm talking about the end of the season which includes our fantastic playoffs.

Difference in perspectives I guess. In my mind Dorian gets credit for Boucher's successes as well. He ruffled a lot of feathers going off and hiring him contrary to much popular opinion, but he seemed to have done a great amount of due diligence and chose the guy (pardon the pun) he liked best. He also gets credit for acquiring players that fit into the team's system. Dorian obviously signed off on Boucher's system when he hired him, and then actively went out and made deals to get the types of players that Boucher needed to make it work. Guy may have come with a list, but Dorian made the deals to get them.

I think it's disingenuous to try and portray PD as some form of pushover to GB's desires. They are on the same page organizationally, and it's a page that PD chose and has continued to support. You can't really praise the coach and not the GM who hired him and enabled his system every chance he got.

Folks who haven't managed before, not saying that's you necessarily, misunderstand what the job entails. As a manager your job is to hire the best talent possible and let them do what you hired them to do. People harp on EM for being too hands on, and yet PD does not get credit for being supportive and hands off.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
1. Why stop at the end of the regular season? I'm talking about the end of the season which includes our fantastic playoffs.

Difference in perspectives I guess. In my mind Dorian gets credit for Boucher's successes as well. He ruffled a lot of feathers going off and hiring him contrary to much popular opinion, but he seemed to have done a great amount of due diligence and chose the guy (pardon the pun) he liked best. He also gets credit for acquiring players that fit into the team's system. Dorian obviously signed off on Boucher's system when he hired him, and then actively went out and made deals to get the types of players that Boucher needed to make it work. Guy may have come with a list, but Dorian made the deals to get them.

2. I think it's disingenuous to try and portray PD as some form of pushover to GB's desires. They are on the same page organizationally, and it's a page that PD chose and has continued to support. You can't really praise the coach and not the GM who hired him and enabled his system every chance he got.

3. Folks who haven't managed before, not saying that's you necessarily, misunderstand what the job entails. As a manager your job is to hire the best talent possible and let them do what you hired them to do. People harp on EM for being too hands on, and yet PD does not get credit for being supportive and hands off.

1. The "great finish" I mentioned was meant to be taken as the finish to the year. IE the playoffs, I guess that was not clear... So it was a great finish to the year after a regular season that was good enough to give them a chance.
2. I think its disingenuous to imply or suggest that I was portraying PD as a GB pushover... Really exaggerating here.
3. There are many different management styles that can be effective depending on the personalities and the situation. There is not just one successful management style. You can look that up if you like .. it's rather an interesting topic.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Timmins used to work for us?!?!

I did not know that.

Now that is funny because he is AWFUL.

He's watching you

trevor1-e1410034572875.jpg

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
1. The "great finish" I mentioned was meant to be taken as the finish to the year. IE the playoffs, I guess that was not clear... So it was a great finish to the year after a regular season that was good enough to give them a chance.
2. I think its disingenuous to imply or suggest that I was portraying PD as a GB pushover... Really exaggerating here.
3. There are many different management styles that can be effective depending on the personalities and the situation. There is not just one successful management style. You can look that up if you like .. it's rather an interesting topic.

You said "Obviously the Sens had a great finish to a regular season that was good enough to get them to the dance". Now I could be wrong but that makes zero mention of our excellent playoffs, and specifically references a great finish to the 'regular season'.

Well, you did kind of insinuate that player decisions were more a GB plus than a PD plus, as in it seemed like you were rewarding GB for coaching and player acquisition, while dubbing PD as just OK, even though he's the one who actually acquired everyone. Perhaps I read it wrong, my bad.

Sure there are many types of management styles, but we're not really talking about that though are we? No matter what style you're referring to, a general manager is best doing his job when he fills employment positions with excellent people. I still don't see how you can say on the one hand that GB did great as a coach, and not have that bleed over to rewarding PD for interviewing several candidates and then hiring said coach based on a lengthy discussion on systems. Then he goes a step further by providing said coach with requested players needed to install his system.

Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but that's ok.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think at some point it's ok to acknowledge that where there's smoke there's fire.

Fair enough since he's brought on a lot of his own drama but it shouldn't be assumed everytime something happens or someone leaves that its Melnyks fault. He's not all bad.

We *****ed about the budget for a long time but now it appears to be a non issue for player salaries so then it moves on to complaining that the front office isnt having enough spent on it even though we don't actually know the hard numbers of whats being spent.

We all know the arena is in a ****** spot and if the franchise wants to stay in Ottawa long term, it needs a new one in a much better location. He is trying to make that happen in a big way. This is absolutely imperative to this teams long term survival in Ottawa.

We needed fresh blood brought in and we sent Leeder packing and brought in Anselmi. Leeder was great for a lot of years but imo it was the right thing to do. Just the fact that we never re-branded from the rbk edge jerseys to now the Adidas ones kind of shows we were way behind the 8 ball. Even the new 3rd jerseys needed a social media movement for them to see it was a good idea and people gobbled that **** up.

I wish we had an owner that didnt say dumb **** all the time, spent money to no end, and wasnt a jerk to work for but it could also be way worse and when it comes to a low profile role like a scout, its just way too hard to know the reality of the situation. Hell, maybe he's good friends with Chiarelli and just wants to work for him, maybe we wanted new blood in that role, who knows.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Not sure why anyone is upset anyway, we haven't had a good European pick outside of a Swede in ages, and when we did get a good Swede it was due to our Swedish guys (Forsberg for the most part) just as much if not more than Burda.

I mean, look at it. Our most successful non-swede in more than the past decade is Kaspar Daugavins.

All the best to him in Oil Country, the Sens are not losing anything.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Not sure why anyone is upset anyway, we haven't had a good European pick outside of a Swede in ages, and when we did get a good Swede it was due to our Swedish guys (Forsberg for the most part) just as much if not more than Burda.

I mean, look at it. Our most successful non-swede in more than the past decade is Kaspar Daugavins.

pretty much exactly 1 decade ago (2006 Daugavins ) the Sens stopped drafting out of Europe other than Sweden,

Prior to that # Euro (non Swede) players

2005 5
2004 5
2003 4
2002 4

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

Preach. But we don't even have resources scouting Russia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Do we even scout leagues outside of in Sweden? Draft history suggests not.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

In his role as director of Euro scouting since 08/09, he's basically been the director of Swedish scouting, since we haven't really looked anywhere else in Europe over that time.

Look at his track record since 2008/09:

Silfverberg (39th, 2009)
Lehner (44th, 2009)
Sorensen (106th, 2010)
Zibanejad (6th, 2011)
Claesson (126th, 2011)
Wikstrand (196th, 2012)
Hogberg (78th, 2013)
Lindberg (102nd, 2013)
Englund (40th, 2014)
Ahl (109th, 2015)
Jaros (139th, 2015)
Dahlen (42nd, 2016)
Nurmi (163rd, 2016)

That's an absurd track record over a 7 year span.

It's a big loss no question about it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I think at some point it's ok to acknowledge that where there's smoke there's fire.

Melnyk is definitely a problem. I assume he's a big part of the reasoning behind any quality people leaving. I wouldn't want to work for a guy like that especially if I had other options

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
It's fun looking at names before reading the posts. So obvious who is going to write what. Like the one person sucking Tim Murrays dong and who hates everything the Sens does dong. That's a much bigger dong btw.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Preach. But we don't even have resources scouting Russia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic.

...and this is a real problem.

There's a ton of competition in this league. We really shouldn't be overlooking an entire region when it comes to talent.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It's fun looking at names before reading the posts. So obvious who is going to write what. Like the one person sucking Tim Murrays dong and who hates everything the Sens does dong. That's a much bigger dong btw.

To be fair, it's pretty easy to know what you're going to write as well.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
In his role as director of Euro scouting since 08/09, he's basically been the director of Swedish scouting, since we haven't really looked anywhere else in Europe over that time.

Look at his track record since 2008/09:

Silfverberg (39th, 2009)
Lehner (44th, 2009)
Sorensen (106th, 2010)
Zibanejad (6th, 2011)
Claesson (126th, 2011)
Wikstrand (196th, 2012)
Hogberg (78th, 2013)
Lindberg (102nd, 2013)
Englund (40th, 2014)
Ahl (109th, 2015)
Jaros (139th, 2015)
Dahlen (42nd, 2016)
Nurmi (163rd, 2016)

That's an absurd track record over a 7 year span.

It's a big loss no question about it.

So, the post you responded to was crediting most of that (pre 2010) to forsberg. After that, zibanejad wasn't a necessarily impressive pick (by which I mean we had 3 or 4 similar or better options available at the time in schiseled, Brodin, Hamilton,Couturier,) and the rest have yet to have any impact, though a couple look promising.

In the end though time will tell if Burda was the key cog, or if Ruutu, Blixt and the new guy will have similar success.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, me *****ing about other people! But maybe that's just as boring as the other tripe written so I will from now on make a conscience effort to stop doing it and actually use the ignore feature.

Comolaing about peoples complaints; is that called metacomplaints? There is another woed for it but the language filters won't allow it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad