Confirmed with Link: Vaclav Burda chief Euro scout leaves for Oilers

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Just a scout. We only have 3 in Europe and they all just focus on Sweden/Finland now

Thanks. So we have Mikko Ruuto and Anders Ostberg. Any idea who the third scout is?

Jimmy Blixt another Swede

We have 4. Bob Janecyk got moved to a European scout last year. 4 European scouts, and 4 NA scouts I believe.

It was part of the re-shuffling. He is the guy behind most USHL/US Jr./USHS picks. It was quite a bad run, with Dzingel the only success so far (to be fair, he only contributed picks in the 3rd and beyond)). The bad part is not the total amount of guys that panned out, you can only get so many when choosing later, but how badly they struck out when they did. Not to mention how obvious it seemed they would when they were chosen.

Boyle
Leblanc
Shore
Aneloski
Peltz (Melnyck this time)
Costello
Sdao

Were all, at least in my opinion, picks made to try and make someone look smart. Most (if not all) not ranked, and chosen much higher than they should have been. Tim Boyle was not ranked by a single scouting service, was an overaged guy who had a terrible year in US high school, and we felt the need to take him with a 4th round pick (nobody else was picking him, let alone in the 4th). Slavin and
Athanasiou, guys ranked and playing in legit leagues, went soon after. Honestly, what in the **** were they thinking taking Boyle there, when they know noone else is even looking at him, and they have picks in the 5th/6th/7th. Just plain idiotic. I hated that part of our drafting approach, where we seemingly throw away a mid round pick on an overaged guy from an obscure American league.

And then guys like

Baillargeon/Eiserman/Gendron/McCormick/Daccord/Wolinen/Burgess/Daccord.

Dzingel and McCormick as NHLers, with Wolinen and Gendron as NHL prospects. The rest are essentially fodder.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ha I knew this post was coming. He got fired!
So don't evaluate what he did while he was there or assume any fault of ownership making the wrong decision. He got fired! Oh boy this board
No ability to use own brain for analysis? Just read headlines.

I dare you to compare the acquisitions made under TM in Buffalo to Dorions.
I dare you

I put you squarely in the "oh boy this board" camp. Take a second and read your posts as an outsider would. I dare you.

You are still lamenting over an assistant GM of ours who no longer works in the NHL. You're actively begging people to compare acquisitions between a GM of a continued bottom feeder, vs a 1st year GM who took us to the brink of the cup finals with some brilliant moves, the best of which is the coach.

Not a great use of your brain is it, perhaps wait until TM leads a franchise to even threatening to make the playoffs, let alone a first round exit via sweep or something, before trumping up comparisons to our walk off home run success of our current GM so far.

Back into the shadows you go until the next weird opportunity arrises to display your TM fetish.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Did he take a promotion? If so, it's a compliment to our staff and nothing more.

When guys start leaving without another job or for lateral moves, then it's time to worry.

Looked closer, seems lateral.

Not happy, but will hold off judgement as typically we have to allow other teams to talk to guys we have under contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Did he take a promotion? If so, it's a compliment to our staff and nothing more.

When guys start leaving without another job or for lateral moves, then it's time to worry.

Looked closer, seems lateral.

Not happy, but will hold off judgement as typically we have to allow other teams to talk to guys we have under contract.

Chief Euro Scout to Dir Euro Scouting.. it's pretty much lateral. There is an article on it.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers-hire-vaclav-burda-director-european-scouting/

The Edmonton Oilers have hired Vaclav Burda as their director of European scouting.

It’s a role he’s held with the Ottawa Senators since 2008.

Sounds to me like its the same role; different name. Its like Mann now is Chief Amateur Scout.

Who's our equivalent to Dir Hockey Operations?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I put you squarely in the "oh boy this board" camp. Take a second and read your posts as an outsider would. I dare you.

You are still lamenting over an assistant GM of ours who no longer works in the NHL. You're actively begging people to compare acquisitions between a GM of a continued bottom feeder, vs a 1st year GM who took us to the brink of the cup finals with some brilliant moves, the best of which is the coach.

Not a great use of your brain is it, perhaps wait until TM leads a franchise to even threatening to make the playoffs, let alone a first round exit via sweep or something, before trumping up comparisons to our walk off home run success of our current GM so far.

Back into the shadows you go until the next weird opportunity arrises to display your TM fetish.

Just as I thought. You won't compare them. Ha

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think it's bad if all we know is that someone left. If we have the smallest staff or something, then I guess that sucks.

I wonder if we scout prospects playing in Russia.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Just as I thought. You won't compare them. Ha

Look again, slowly, I'm pretty sure I compared the only thing that really matters:

TM: couple years as Sabres GM leads to continued bottom dwelling seasons and firing

PD: first year as Sens GM leads to G7/2OT of ECF

I know you'd like to bog everyone down in minutia in order to try and save face after all of the TM parading you've been doing, but this is results based business and entertainment.

Both have made several moves to put their name on their respective teams, and the results so far show that one man has produced significant results already, while the other has not at all and has subsequently been fired (for whatever reason).

Perhaps TM will show is some brilliance in his next GM job if he gets one, but until then put the pompoms away and give it a rest.

I mean did the man seriously alienate his young superstar before even drafting him??? What a complete unmitigated blunder.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
I was in the Kariya camp back then.

And no Yashin for Yzerman trade cursed the franchise.

I was looking at that draft year the other day. In hindsight, do you take a cornerstone defenceman in Pronger, or elite forward in Kariya?

And to complicate matters, do you take Gonchar over Yashin the year before?

Imagine prime Pronger and Gonchar as a thing.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Look again, slowly, I'm pretty sure I compared the only thing that really matters:

TM: couple years as Sabres GM leads to continued bottom dwelling seasons and firing

PD: first year as Sens GM leads to G7/2OT of ECF

I know you'd like to bog everyone down in minutia in order to try and save face after all of the TM parading you've been doing, but this is results based business and entertainment.

Both have made several moves to put their name on their respective teams, and the results so far show that one man has produced significant results already, while the other has not at all and has subsequently been fired (for whatever reason).

Perhaps TM will show is some brilliance in his next GM job if he gets one, but until then put the pompoms away and give it a rest.

I mean did the man seriously alienate his young superstar before even drafting him??? What a complete unmitigated blunder.

The sabres were the worst team in the league when TM took over. They improved more than anyone could expect. (Not just in standings but gf ga etc)
You are not looking at the circumstances of last season. Because you are a "headline", tldr guy it seems.
Half their team was injured to start the season.
When healthy the team had no trouble playing against us.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Icelevel, you can't say that firing Tim was definitively a bad move. The firing could very well have been based on a thorough evaluation by the Sabres.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The sabres were the worst team in the league when TM took over. They improved more than anyone could expect. (Not just in standings but gf ga etc)
You are not looking at the circumstances of last season. Because you are a "headline", tldr guy it seems.

At the end of the hockey season you're team just is what it is. Every team in the league has injuries, every team has adversity (though most teams didn't stock up on locker room cancer's).

For as good as the Sabres performed in your eyes, few teams, if any, raised more eyebrows with their performance by the end of the year then the Sens. The Sabres may have risen from dead last to nearly dead last, but the Sens ended up as one of the top 4 teams in the league.

Personally I don't think there is a single Sense fan, or a soul in the Sens organization who wishes we had gone with TM at this point, besides you.

That is to say, rather than begging people to research stats and engage with you, why don't YOU lay out some form of sensical argument that could support your oddball opinion.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We have 4. Bob Janecyk got moved to a European scout last year. 4 European scouts, and 4 NA scouts I believe.

It was part of the re-shuffling. He is the guy behind most USHL/US Jr./USHS picks. It was quite a bad run, with Dzingel the only success so far (to be fair, he only contributed picks in the 3rd and beyond)). The bad part is not the total amount of guys that panned out, you can only get so many when choosing later, but how badly they struck out when they did. Not to mention how obvious it seemed they would when they were chosen.

Boyle
Leblanc
Shore
Aneloski
Peltz (Melnyck this time)
Costello
Sdao

Were all, at least in my opinion, picks made to try and make someone look smart. Most (if not all) not ranked, and chosen much higher than they should have been. Tim Boyle was not ranked by a single scouting service, was an overaged guy who had a terrible year in US high school, and we felt the need to take him with a 4th round pick (nobody else was picking him, let alone in the 4th). Slavin and
Athanasiou, guys ranked and playing in legit leagues, went soon after. Honestly, what in the **** were they thinking taking Boyle there, when they know noone else is even looking at him, and they have picks in the 5th/6th/7th. Just plain idiotic. I hated that part of our drafting approach, where we seemingly throw away a mid round pick on an overaged guy from an obscure American league.

And then guys like

Baillargeon/Eiserman/Gendron/McCormick/Daccord/Wolinen/Burgess/Daccord.

Dzingel and McCormick as NHLers, with Wolinen and Gendron as NHL prospects. The rest are essentially fodder.

You have to wonder why this guy had so much sway at the draft. Also .. would like to be a fly on the wall on the decision to move him to Europe.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I was looking at that draft year the other day. In hindsight, do you take a cornerstone defenceman in Pronger, or elite forward in Kariya?

And to complicate matters, do you take Gonchar over Yashin the year before?

Imagine prime Pronger and Gonchar as a thing.

I just saw Kariya in International Tournaments back then and thought he was going to be the superstar he actually was. Daigle did not seem to me "special" in World Juniors like Kariya was.

It was pre internet and I was a teenager but despite the Daigle hype I was still hoping we drafted Kariya. I mean it was just a gut feeling from watching a handful of world junior games and reading the hockey News all that season.

Kariya did emerge more quickly as a truly elite player than Pronger. But once Pronger did become elite he was more valuable.

I think both were legit top 5 in the NHL players for more than just 1 or 2 seasons. You draft either and you have no regrets for the other.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

To me Tim Murray made crappy trades and had terrible coaches. ROR was a good trade. The Lehner and Myers trades were not wise moves. In my opinion. He wanted to make big deals and forced them and didn't really improve the team long term making those deals.

Dorion hiring Boucher trumps all TM moves. That was a savvy move. I think if the Sabres had hired Dorion and he hired Boucher 2 years ago the Sabres are in the playoffs this past season.

I really, really do not understand my Some Sens fans have this hard on for Tim Murray. Why? Why?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To me Tim Murray made crappy trades and had terrible coaches. ROR was a good trade. The Lehner and Myers trades were not wise moves. In my opinion. He wanted to make big deals and forced them and didn't really improve the team long term making those deals.

Dorion hiring Boucher trumps all TM moves. That was a savvy move. I think if the Sabres had hired Dorion and he hired Boucher 2 years ago the Sabres are in the playoffs this past season.

I really, really do not understand my Some Sens fans have this hard on for Tim Murray. Why? Why?

Who gives a crap about Tim Murray anyway..
I am not a huge Dorion supporter... I think he is just ok. Nothing great but not putrid. Randy Lee is the assistant GM. now if for some reason Dorion left and Lee became gm , that would be truly scary.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Who gives a crap about Tim Murray anyway..
I am not a huge Dorion supporter... I think he is just ok. Nothing great but not putrid. Randy Lee is the assistant GM. now if for some reason Dorion left and Lee became gm , that would be truly scary.

It's only one year, and after a few years we can come to more rounded conclusions, but I can't for the life of me, given how unbelievably well we finished up last season, that anyone can say that Dorian has been just 'OK'.

I mean, give credit where it's due, and take it away when it's due. Most folks complain about his trades based on what they think will happen in the future, but really, we can't let suppositions of the future come into play when evaluating the now. Maybe in two years looking back we can say that Burrows sucks, Dahlen is great, Brassard is garbage and Zib is awesome, and boy those late rounds picks turned into special players for other teams, but for right now I can't see how anyone can argue that Dorian has not produced exceptional results in his first year at the helm.

Was it flash in the pan? We'll find out, but for now the results speak for themselves.

You don't get nominated for GM of the year by your peers when you just did an 'OK' job, come on now.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Seems like the same reaction when Timmins left for Montreal. OMG, Melnyk, blah blah. Has anyone actually looked at the Habs' prospects, ha.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad