Raptors Discussion: v92 | Off-season for the Raptors. Let's see what Masai has up his sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I guess the Raptors could still find a team to take on Johnson's cap hit and use his money elsewhere?

No. We are over the cap. We could unload Stanley to a team with room and not take anything back but all that does is give us more cushion under the tax. Over the cap is over the cap. Can only re-sign your own guys and use the exceptions.

Signing FVV yesterday put us back over the cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: SeaOfBlue

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

In an ideal world we move Stanley Johnson, Patrick McCaw and some picks for a backup PF.

Here are some expiring salaries that fit;
C Kelly Olnyk
PF PJ Tucker
PF Nemanja Bjelica
PF Jabari Parker

Reactions: hockeywiz542

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
No. We are over the cap. We could unload Stanley to a team with room and not take anything back but all that does is give us more cushion under the tax. Over the cap is over the cap. Can only re-sign your own guys and use the exceptions.

Signing FVV yesterday put us back over the cap.

My mistake was thinking that Johnson was using MLE space and trading him would open up this space. He is not on MLE.

So if I understand this correctly, we have something like 9.258 mill in a MLE this year, and Baynes I presume is using up around 7 mill of that. If the Raptors trade a guy that was signed with MLE in the past (i.e. McCaw and his 4 mill), would that open up 4 mill in MLE, or will they still only have whatever MLE left even if they traded a guy like McCaw? You are also able to sign multiple people under MLE, as long as their total cap is below the MLE?

I am still trying to figure out the NBA soft cap.

All I know is the Raptors can still sign a guy for league minimum, so maybe they can find a guy who is willing to do that. Maybe not Whiteside or Cousins or anything like that, but someone looking to cash in next year.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
My mistake was thinking that Johnson was using MLE space and trading him would open up this space. He is not on MLE.

So if I understand this correctly, we have something like 9.258 mill in a MLE this year, and Baynes I presume is using up around 7 mill of that. If the Raptors trade a guy that was signed with MLE in the past (i.e. McCaw and his 4 mill), would that open up 4 mill in MLE, or will they still only have whatever MLE left even if they traded a guy like McCaw? You are also able to sign multiple people under MLE, as long as their total cap is below the MLE?

I am still trying to figure out the NBA soft cap.

All I know is the Raptors can still sign a guy for league minimum, so maybe they can find a guy who is willing to do that. Maybe not Whiteside or Cousins or anything like that, but someone looking to cash in next year.

My understanding is that that would not open any more space in MLE. Every year the MLE is a set amount across the league and you get what you get.

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I am happy with how the Gasol situation played out. Did not want him back and Baynes was the best available big. Baynes replaces Gasol. No replacement for Ibaka off the bench, which is what's going to hurt us the most this season.

Our bench is looking very unproven, especially with Davis' uncertainty. Nurse always rides his starters hard but it'll even more the case this year imo.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I am happy with how the Gasol situation played out. Did not want him back and Baynes was the best available big. Baynes replaces Gasol. No replacement for Ibaka off the bench, which is what's going to hurt us the most this season.

Our bench is looking very unproven, especially with Davis' uncertainty. Nurse always rides his starters hard but it'll even more the case this year imo.

At some point you had to see what you had with Boucher in a bigger role. No better time than the season before you are ready to be big free agent players and go for a ship again

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Likely counting on Boucher stepping up to replace Ibaka. He was averaging 13 minutes a night last year and this year, it will likely go up to the 20's or something.

I guess the one good thing is that while the bench is unproven, it is at least promising. It is not full of guys who sucked even in sheltered minutes, and a few of them have shown they may be able to handle more minutes next year.

I think they should still look for someone cheap who can come off of the bench in case Johnson, Brissett, Hernandez, etc. are not capable of handling any kind of serious minutes so they have a fourth somewhat reliable frontcourt guy to put with Siakam, Baynes, and Boucher. I don't know who the Raptors would want and can get for the minimum, but I imagine they will still try to find someone.

Lowry, FVV, Anunoby, Siakam, Baynes are the starters; Boucher, Powell, Flynn, McCaw, Thomas, another C/PF UFA, Johnson, and maybe Davis on the bench. Harris, Brissett, Hernandez, and any other young guys can compete for any left over jobs, but will likely play on the 905 for more development time.

Reactions: smitty10

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
My understanding is that that would not open any more space in MLE. Every year the MLE is a set amount across the league and you get what you get.

Thanks, that makes sense.

I guess they will just do their best to find someone with the minimum exception, or they will just rely upon a guy like Hernandez. However I think they still may want to have some kind of insurance in case he is not ready.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

I assume the Raptors are using the rest of their MLE to fit him in, since it is a two-year deal.

He's cheap, he's in the right age-range to still have a little bit of upside, and he won't need to be more than a depth guy.

Sounds good to me. Still need to find another center though IMO.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I assume the Raptors are using the rest of their MLE to fit him in, since it is a two-year deal.

He's cheap, he's in the right age-range to still have a little bit of upside, and he won't need to be more than a depth guy.

Sounds good to me. Still need to find another center though IMO.
The deal is for the league min apparently. MLE is still available.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
He's a SF in a guard's body. RHJ's more athletic replacement who is mostly hustle and D but can occasionally contribute some offense. Still a low-risk signing and adds some wing depth.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
The deal is for the league min apparently. MLE is still available.

I guess because it is not a true two-year deal, otherwise it would have to be even if it was league minimum (that is what happened with Gasol in LA).

Works better for the Raptors anyways. They now can use that money towards a center if they want to offer a two-year deal to convince a better one to come.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Wouldnt mind Cousins on a 1 year deal. He could be a high gamble move. Luckily for him if he isnt crazy about the weather here in Toronto in winters, he wont have to deal with it playing in tampa next year.

If healthy we could get a great 3rd option from him at this point. If not well it would be a few million and nothing really lost

i would give boogie a shot as well

he's a walking mash unit, but if/when healthy, he's got a lot to prove and the talent to back it up

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I like baynes. Better then gasol. Pretty mobile for a big guy too

tbh I never really noticed him when he played for the Celts, but he is a big man that we desperately needed

just perplexed that for as solid as people are calling him, he's only 800k more good than boucher and boucher needs to show more this season

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
tbh I never really noticed him when he played for the Celts, but he is a big man that we desperately needed

just perplexed that for as solid as people are calling him, he's only 800k more good than boucher and boucher needs to show more this season

I was a little surprised at how much Boucher cost, but keep in mind he's been pretty productive when he has had the chance to play.

2019-20 per 36 minutes:
18.1 Points
12.2 Rebounds
1.1 Assists
1.0 Steals
2.7 Blocks
.587 True Shooting

He only played 13 minutes a game, so obviously these numbers have to be taken with a big grain of salt, but he clearly has some promise, plus only one of the years is guaranteed, so he effectively got paid more for a one year guaranteed deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad