Raptors Discussion: v92 | Off-season for the Raptors. Let's see what Masai has up his sleeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not surprising that the Raptors added another center. Len does not exactly seem like the other guys they typically like at center, but maybe that is why they like him as a backup guy. He is also still in his mid 20's so maybe they feel like he can still develop.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Report: Toronto Raptors reach deal with free agent centre Alex Len - TSN.ca

ESPN reports the one-year deal is worth is $2.3 million.

Len was traded in February from the Atlanta Hawks to the Sacramento Kings. He averaged eight points, 5.8 rebounds and 0.9 assists in 60 games between the two teams.

The 27-year-old was selected fifth overall by the Phoenix Suns in 2013 NBA Draft out of Maryland. He spent the first five seasons of his career with the Suns before joining the Hawks in 2018.

A veteran of 467 NBA games, Len has a career average of eight points and 6.3 rebounds and 0.8 assists per game.

The move helps to boost the frontcourt of the Raptors after the team lost Serge Ibaka and Marc Gasol in free agency over the weekend.

Len is coming off of a two-year, $8.5 million deal signed with the Hawks.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Does losing Ibaka really drop the Raptors from a 1-2 seed to 5-8 in their conference? Are we sure it will be that dramatic of a shift? There are young players that step up almost every year. This year Boucher and OG need to take another step. Gasol out with Baynes/Len in at this stage of Gasol's career is an upgrade.

Reactions: Kurtz

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
PG/SG: Lowry VanVleet Powell Thomas
SF: Anunoby Bembry Johnson McCaw

Back court and wings still great.

PF: Siakam ________ Hernandez
C: Baynes Boucher Len

Centers are fine but PF needs someone better behind PS.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Does losing Ibaka really drop the Raptors from a 1-2 seed to 5-8 in their conference? Are we sure it will be that dramatic of a shift? There are young players that step up almost every year. This year Boucher and OG need to take another step. Gasol out with Baynes/Len in at this stage of Gasol's career is an upgrade.

People thought the same thing last year - saw us as a 5/6 seed coming in. I don't see why we can't exceed expectations again, given that Baynes is actually a really nice piece, and Len is quite decent with some untapped potential left. Also apparently Bouch has put on 10+ pounds, which could be huge.

I think people expect a little too much out of Brooklyn - it should take them a while to find chemistry and get going. Indiana looks good on paper too, if Oladipo is back to health...but overall I still expect us to finish top 4 in the East.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Did Boucher play PF last year? Could he be our backup option to Siakam?
If that's the case in asking Boucher to play back up center and PF, you are asking him to replace Ibaka and that is a clear down grade.

I think he can play PF, but we need another guy to take on that workload or it's going to be a short playoff run.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah unless things change Boucher is going to be the backup at the 4 and Len at the 5.

They may want to give Johnson another chance, along with giving younger guys like Hernandez a shot, behind Baynes, Len, Siakam, and Boucher. If that doesn't work out, they may look for an upgrade at the deadline if they look like that is the difference maker they need.

Otherwise, unless they find a trade or another cheap UFA, they will likely just stick with what they've got and work on finding the next FVV/Davis/Boucher to help the team in a few years.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
Yeah unless things change Boucher is going to be the backup at the 4 and Len at the 5.

I'd expect that OG is going to see a fair amount of time at the 4 in small ball line-ups.

I think it's quite likely that out main closure line-up is:
Lowry
FVV
Powell
OG
Siakim

Reactions: Zanks and Emerica

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

This will cost the Heat their max spot for next years free agency. Which is huge as I'd bet that they'd have been the favourites for Giannis if he chooses to leave Milwaukee.

Reactions: Emerica

Emerica

May 29, 2010

This will cost the Heat their max spot for next years free agency. Which is huge as I'd bet that they'd have been the favourites for Giannis if he chooses to leave Milwaukee.

They can still probably get a max slot if they trade a few contracts out but yeah for now it takes them out of contention. Gotta wonder if they did so now because Giannis is close to signing his extension w/ Milwaukee. I read Adebayo and Giannis share the same agent.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Is the NBA in another Universe? It seems like their players are not taking any COVID hits or are they already taking hits? I know I don’t follow Bball like I used to but it seems like anyone is making over 20mil a year while some is making over 30mil for not even being the top 2 players on their team.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Is the NBA in another Universe? It seems like their players are not taking any COVID hits or are they already taking hits? I know I don’t follow Bball like I used to but it seems like anyone is making over 20mil a year while some is making over 30mil for not even being the top 2 players on their team.

The NBA TV deal is worth about 2 billion more annually than the Rogers+NBC deals combined. They also have smaller rosters and specific types of contracts that they're eligible for. Mike Conley was once the highest paid NBA player and he's never even played in an All-Star game.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

They'll move heaven and earth if Giannis has mutual interest.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Long story short he’s chasing more rings and the easiest way to them right now is in LA. Nothing wrong with doing that just saying

Agreed.

He is basically admitting he is not the player he used to be, and the Raps needed that player next season.

I don't begrudge him for his honesty. Mentally he was fragile on the O side of the ball from a shooting aspect, but he can still pass better than any C in the league except for Jokic.

That will serve him well with LBJ.

Defensively, he is still a tank and will fill the void left by Howard and then some.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

There is only one player making $27.528M in the league;

upload_2020-11-27_13-1-49.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad