Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The Athletic is reporting that it looks like Domantas Sabonis and the Pacers are at odds over a new contract. I know it's likely impossible to navigate the salary issues involved if he were to be a Raptors target, but yes please. I wanted him at the 2016 draft and was kinda sad when the Raptors took Poeltl instead (though in hindsight that all worked out for the best :D). He'd be a nice replacement for Gasol or Ibaka in the near future. And I loves me some passing bigs (he only averaged like 3 APG last season, but I think he has untapped potential there in a more dynamic offence. He's sort of Gasol-like in that regard.)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We have some good young pieces. Keep drafting and developing the way we have, maybe sign a high profile UFA within a couple of years, and we could be contenders in the East for a while.

The flip side of the coin would depend on what the returns would be for guys like Gasol and Ibaka if we're mediocre this season. Lowry ain't going anywhere under any circumstances.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We have some good young pieces. Keep drafting and developing the way we have, maybe sign a high profile UFA within a couple of years, and we could be contenders in the East for a while.

The flip side of the coin would depend on what the returns would be for guys like Gasol and Ibaka if we're mediocre this season. Lowry ain't going anywhere under any circumstances.

I disagree. If things don't look like they'll continue on an upward trend over the next few years, I can absolutley see Lowry wanting to move on and take another crack at a title. He strikes me as being ultra-competitive and now that he's had a taste of that championship glory he'll want more. But he's also not married to Toronto in the same way that DeRozan was. He's been traded twice already in his career and while in his prior dalliances with free agency he chose to come back to the Raptors for continued growth/success and his relationship with DeRozan, he strikes me as a shrewd enough tactician that he wouldn't turn down an opportunity to go somewhere like... say... one of the LA teams to run their show for them on a championship chase if it looked like the Raptors aren't going to be back at that level in the next 2-4 years.

and I wouldn't fault him for it at all. He's earned the right to make that decision and he wouldn't be doing it out of a sense of pettiness or flippancy.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I disagree. If things don't look like they'll continue on an upward trend over the next few years, I can absolutley see Lowry wanting to move on and take another crack at a title. He strikes me as being ultra-competitive and now that he's had a taste of that championship glory he'll want more. But he's also not married to Toronto in the same way that DeRozan was. He's been traded twice already in his career and while in his prior dalliances with free agency he chose to come back to the Raptors for continued growth/success and his relationship with DeRozan, he strikes me as a shrewd enough tactician that he wouldn't turn down an opportunity to go somewhere like... say... one of the LA teams to run their show for them on a championship chase if it looked like the Raptors aren't going to be back at that level in the next 2-4 years.

and I wouldn't fault him for it at all. He's earned the right to make that decision and he wouldn't be doing it out of a sense of pettiness or flippancy.

That's largely projection though, no? And even if it was true before, it must have changed after last year.

Reactions: RoryDelap

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.

Could be, but I was referring to Raptors management. I can't see them wanting to trade him before his contract is done. My sense is they want him to retire a Raptor.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Honestly, people are sleeping on the Raps. If Siakam takes another step forward, and the organization believes that he will, Raps will not take much of a step back at all. They will have what it takes to make it back to the finals. I am not saying that they definitely will go back, but people are discounting them. I think they are wrong. If they make it to the finals, I am not even saying they will be favourites over Clippers or whoever. I am just saying they have a shot.

Reactions: stickty111

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Honestly, people are sleeping on the Raps. If Siakam takes another step forward, and the organization believes that he will, Raps will not take much of a step back at all. They will have what it takes to make it back to the finals. I am not saying that they definitely will go back, but people are discounting them. I think they are wrong. If they make it to the finals, I am not even saying they will be favourites over Clippers or whoever. I am just saying they have a shot.
I agree with you but I still think they need another piece at 3 to be contender.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree with you but I still think they need another piece at 3 to be contender.

I guess. Wouldn't it be nice if OG had a huge year and won the Most Improved Player? That's asking for too much, though.

Isn't it interesting how we are not outraged by the Siakam contract saying that he is overpaid, but Marner we're saying he will never live up to his contract and that he is overpaid. It's basically the same situation. The Raps are betting on Siakam to take another step forward. They are paying him for what he will do in the future. Exact same as Marner. I guess winning a championship buys a lot of benefit of the doubt, hehe.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I guess. Wouldn't it be nice if OG had a huge year and won the Most Improved Player? That's asking for too much, though.

Isn't it interesting how we are not outraged by the Siakam contract saying that he is overpaid, but Marner we're saying he will never live up to his contract and that he is overpaid. It's basically the same situation. The Raps are betting on Siakam to take another step forward. They are paying him for what he will do in the future. Exact same as Marner. I guess winning a championship buys a lot of benefit of the doubt, hehe.

it’s a lot easier to maneuver in the NBA cap world than it is in the NHL world as well.

but yeah, Masai could pretty much do whatever he wants at this point. He has 100% trust and approval from everyone lol

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
And then there were 16. Isaiah Taylor has been waived. No big loss and I was on the fence about whether he would stick as the last guy on the roster or just be cut for flexibility purposes.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Casey
“The foundation, what we were building, how I was building it, was good. Running the same offence, same defence, same philosophy, same things we built there for seven years, so it enthused me. I was happy for the players, for the country and the team. It really energized me, that what we were doing was right. I took that with it, more than jealousy.”

Yes you started it, but this was not the same system that you used especially defensively. How many times did we not guard the 3 point line when you were here?

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Casey
“The foundation, what we were building, how I was building it, was good. Running the same offence, same defence, same philosophy, same things we built there for seven years, so it enthused me. I was happy for the players, for the country and the team. It really energized me, that what we were doing was right. I took that with it, more than jealousy.”

Yes you started it, but this was not the same system that you used especially defensively. How many times did we not guard the 3 point line when you were here?

Always seemed more of an execution thing to me. JV's weaknesses in the P&R and DD's overall terrible defense

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
This seems to be our best team at shooting the 3 that I've seen. Just pre season but hopefully they can keep that up during the season and playoffs

Reactions: yvrtojfk

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I can't recall a coach worse at making in game adjustments than Dwayne Casey.

Don't let the chip become too salty for ya Dwayne.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If we just had one more piece...

Too bad Kawhi decided to go home. I hope he will regret it. This could have been something special. He and Siakam could have dominated the East. But he wanted Paul George and go home. We'll see how it turns out for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad