Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Why? Don't we love Lowry? I want to be competitive for the next couple years. We just won, let's have fun with it and make the east squirm a bit. Siakam looks great and maybe he will make a leap. It's a great story even, how do you not follow it.

I have a feeling Eyedea was being sarcastic. IT's a good thing Lowry wanted to extend his stay in Toronto.

Reactions: Eyedea

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
If you want to move Kyle, the extension is the best move. I read this extension as a sign he wont be here by seasons end. Unless something crazy happens ofc

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
He is best friends with DeRozan right? what did you expect?

I expect that if he was still here, DD would not to try to pull off those antics, but that's just me. As an inferior a player he is to Kawhi, just feel that his love for the team and city will forever be more genuine than #7.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If you want to move Kyle, the extension is the best move. I read this extension as a sign he wont be here by seasons end. Unless something crazy happens ofc

I don't get that thought process. Is it crazy if the Raptors decide to not move him and continue competing in the postseason with him as the starting pg?

Reactions: stickty111

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
I don't get that thought process. Is it crazy if the Raptors decide to not move him and continue competing in the postseason with him as the starting pg?

It's not crazy, but I don't think it's the fastest route to another championship.

As our team is now, we're probably about as good as we were in the DeRozan era, good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two but the ceiling is likely ECF.

Masai showed that that level of success is not enough for him when he traded for Kawhi.

Both a rebuild, and rolling with what we have make sense depending on your perspective.

Personally, if we can get a good haul of futures back for Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka I would not be opposed to moving on. I also wouldn't mind rolling with this squad and having some feel good seasons in the afterglow of a championship.

One of the main positives of the latter is that it might help entrench the idea that the Raptors are a well-run, top-tier NBA franchise, which would have been unthinkable just a few years ago. Doing good by Lowry and letting him ride into the sunset here could also improve player perception of the team after we may have lost some goodwill with how the Kawhi trade went down (with Demar so upset). This could help attract free agents (not that we'll ever be a destination per se).

Whatever the direction we go in, I feel confident with Masai at the helm.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Will there be some kinda ceremony before a Leafs game coming up to honour the Raps championship? Maybe this Saturday? Would be perfect. Or it's not necessary?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's not crazy, but I don't think it's the fastest route to another championship.

As our team is now, we're probably about as good as we were in the DeRozan era, good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two but the ceiling is likely ECF.

Masai showed that that level of success is not enough for him when he traded for Kawhi.

Both a rebuild, and rolling with what we have make sense depending on your perspective.

Personally, if we can get a good haul of futures back for Lowry, Gasol and Ibaka I would not be opposed to moving on. I also wouldn't mind rolling with this squad and having some feel good seasons in the afterglow of a championship.

One of the main positives of the latter is that it might help entrench the idea that the Raptors are a well-run, top-tier NBA franchise, which would have been unthinkable just a few years ago. Doing good by Lowry and letting him ride into the sunset here could also improve player perception of the team after we may have lost some goodwill with how the Kawhi trade went down (with Demar so upset). This could help attract free agents (not that we'll ever be a destination per se).

I think so long as they are a top team in the east it's being held together. Perhaps one or two trades you mention happen anyways but it'll be disguised as a retool for the PO and not a sell off for the future.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

It's really interesting to me to see how good this team will be and seeing this team in the final 4 without Kawhi would be super cool! At the same time, there is some logic to building for the future, an utterly fascinating situation.

Totally agree with with Masai at the helm there is no need to worry so we can just sit back and watch how it unfolds.

Reactions: stickty111

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's really interesting to me to see how good this team will be and seeing this team in the final 4 without Kawhi would be super cool! At the same time, there is some logic to building for the future, an utterly fascinating situation.

Totally agree with with Masai at the helm there is no need to worry so we can just sit back and watch how it unfolds.

I think if all goes well and a little luck they could make the ECF. It's a big year for developing Siakam, really want to see how that story unfolds. The team itself is awesome again less a mercenary, I just look on and how basically Fred and Lowry sealed the chip. It wasn't Kawhi, that being said Kawhi was so clutch getting us there for sure the MVP, but the ability to close for those players is huge too. Should be fun, won my interest and I plan to tune in.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
OG is looking primed to step in as the starting SF. I also liked what I saw from Davis and Thomas off the bench.

The scouting department has done a tremendous job over the last few years, especially with undrafted players.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
The raps are such a likeable team. They really did whatever it took to win a chip and once you win, the attitude is never the same. You have that swagger and you know what it takes. I think this was echoed by nick nurse when he called out rhj and stanley. I'm excited that one of our pro sports teams is run so well and they have that winning mentality.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sportsnet this morning reported that the Raps have waived Cameron Payne, Matt Morgan, and Devin Robinson to cut their roster down to 17 (meaning there need to be 2 more cuts before Tuesday)

Payne is no surprise as he'd gotten mediocre reviews for his camp and pre-season. Robinson I can't recall hearing much about, but that also means he was never one of the guys getting attention for possibly forcing a roster spot his way this summer.

Morgan seems like the interesting one at first blush, but chances are this was always the plan, and that signing him to the roster a couple days ago was step 1 in a process that includes waiving him now and then being able to re-sign him as an affiliate player for the 905.

The last men standing are:

PF/C Chris Boucher
SF/SG Malcolm Miller
SF Oshae Brissett
PF/C Dewan Hernandez
PG Isaiah Taylor

They can hand out a maximum of 3 roster spots and a pair of two-way deals (that don't count against the 15-man NBA roster limit), so chances are that all 5 guys are sticking with the Raptors in some capacity. I would bet that Boucher and Miller are the for-sure roster guys, and have a feeling that Brissett and Hernandez get the two-way deals while Taylor either captures roster spot #15 or is let go and the team runs with 14 men to keep the bench a little more flexible if they need to call someone up. That would mean your presumptive 2019-20 title defence starting roster would be:

PG: Kyle Lowry, Fred VanVleet, Terence Davis, Isaiah Taylor
SG: Norm Powell, Matt Thomas, Patrick McCaw
SF: OG Anunoby, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Stanley Johnson, Malcolm Miller
PF: Pascal Siakam, Chris Boucher
C: Marc Gasol, Serge Ibaka

As with last year, versatility is the name of the game. Those first 3 SFs can all potentially play PF in the right situation, Miller can slide down to SG, VanVleet can play off the ball if needed, McCaw has allegedly been getting a bit of PG runtime, Boucher can float between PF and C, and Ibaka is capable of playing PF in the right matchups against bigger lineups. Taylor and Miller are italicized as probably the regular healthy scratches. The last one would probably be a game-to-game thing depending on what the needs of the lineup are based on opponent.

Reactions: Snowpants

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

It is very interesting to see what will happen. Thing about the East is that it is super hard to tank. Like we could get down to missing the playoffs but getting a top 3 pick? We just signed Siakam, OG is improving quickly, I don't think its possible just by moving off of expirings. So much will depend on what is available out there but if this team is in the top 4 in the East which it Should be, then I don't see any of these guys moving without a comparable player that can step in coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad