Raptors Discussion: v89| Those are some big rings | Raptors out to defend their championship

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
That's my thought too. Is replacing Kawhi with OG a major downgrade defensively? I don't think it is, though obviously it's a major downgrade offensively. The question for the Raps this year is going to be how to score points, with a mostly aging core.

Kawhi was Defensive Player of the Year, twice!

I have high hopes and a ton of respect for OG, but there's about a 99.99% chance he's a downgrade on both sides, possibly more on D than O.

Kawhi is a generational player, and there aren't too many of those....

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Kawhi was Defensive Player of the Year, twice!

I have high hopes and a ton of respect for OG, but there's about a 99.99% chance he's a downgrade on both sides, possibly more on D than O.

Kawhi is a generational player, and there aren't too many of those....

Kawhi is one of the greatest defenders ever, historically. If you look at the advanced stats and exclude centers (who can effect the game a lot more defensively in general), there are only a handful of players who are on his level - basically just Jordan and Pippen (and Artest, but only during his Indiana days).

Having said that, his defensive metrics dropped off considerably this past season. They were still elite, but no longer historically great. It wouldn't shock me to see OG start to catch up defensively as early as next year.

Reactions: thewave

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Kawhi is one of the greatest defenders ever, historically. If you look at the advanced stats and exclude centers (who can effect the game a lot more defensively in general), there are only a handful of players who are on his level - basically just Jordan and Pippen (and Artest, but only during his Indiana days).

Having said that, his defensive metrics dropped off considerably this past season. They were still elite, but no longer historically great. It wouldn't shock me to see OG start to catch up defensively as early as next year.
OG was seen as a high lottery pick in his draft year before his knee injury. Raps stole him at #23. The guy has serious talent.

Reactions: The Cobra

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Chingy is the poet of our time.

Every time I try to leave
Something keeps pullin' me back, me back
Telling me I need you in my life
Every time I try to go
Somethin' keeps tellin' me that, me that
Everything goin' be alright
Every time I try to leave
Something keeps pullin' me back, me back
Telling me I need you in my life
It was meant to be
You were meant for me
So that means we gotta make it work

Chingy was hot fire in the early to mid 2000's

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Isola: Kawhi Leonard decision a win for him, the NBA and the league’s future - The Athletic
If we’ve learned anything about Leonard over the last year or so is that while he may be quiet his mind is as sharp as a knife. He’s already a two-time NBA Finals MVP who knew that going to the Lakers and winning with the purple and gold would have enhanced LeBron’s legacy more than anything. The Clippers have never been to a conference final in their history. Imagine winning a title with the Clippers while preventing LeBron from getting another ring? That would place Kawhi in a different stratosphere.

This move was about Kawhi’s legacy and plotting his own future. The Dynasty Killer couldn’t bring himself to join LeBron when beating him is so much better. Now, was it a perfect exit? Not exactly. By contacting George, who ultimately requested to be traded, Kawhi is guilty of textbook tampering. The Thunder didn’t complain, of course, because the deal for them was too good.

The Thunder were also dealing with the Raptors, even trying to unload Russell Westbrook in a potential deal. But for the Raptors to do that they’d be trading away several key players, including Pascal Siakam and Fred VanVleet, and draft picks. To keep Kawhi the price was trading your roster less than a month after winning an NBA title. The Raptors understood the risk when they traded for Kawhi in the final year of his contract. They knew he could very well leave and for months the talk of the NBA was that Leonard was going to sign with the Clippers. Not even a title changed his mind.

Kawhi’s going away present was a trophy and a banner, therefore, the Raptors come away anything but empty-handed. This is how Kawhi does business. He asked to be traded from the San Antonio Spurs but only after leading them to a championship. He then exercised his right as a free agent and left Toronto but only after winning a title for an entire country.

And now he’s in Los Angeles on that other team in town. The Clippers won free agency. The NBA wins and parity wins. All because of Kawhi, the new King in town.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So who we trade and who do we keep? Been learning here the past few weeks and it seems like if we position for 21FA, it's best to trade Klow at deadline, Gasol. Keep Sia, Ibaka, OG around and I haven't got very much further in and my understanding is pretty weak overall.

Is it true FVV was weak most of the year and turned it on primarily in the finals? To me he looked like a hero but does his body of work suggest that?

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016

Can't stop thinking about Mette World Peace now.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Some Raptors, some Jays, a lot of other stuff in the mail | The Star
Q: Hey Doug,

Personally, I’m kind of glad free agency is done and we can settle into the doldrums of semi basketball free news soon lol.

However, here goes my question.

Given how there have been various reports that Uncle Dennis may have been asking for the moon from the Raptors, how can the NBA monitor compensation that circumvents the salary cap rules?

Specific example is if say an NBA team was to help arrange for marketing creative expertise or legal expertise for a player’s family member’s venture of interest, is that even kosher? There’s a certain dollar value to services like that. How could they track something like that?

Thanks for all you do and hope you get a break soon.

Mark D

A: I honestly do now know what the league can do but I do know it has to do something to get a handle on under-the-table shenanigans. And it’s not just Kawhi and Uncle Dennis and this situation, it’s been going on and getting worse every year and somehow, they have to find a way to police it better.

And don’t delude yourself: It’s EVERYONE.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

On July 26, exactly three years after Beal signed his max deal, the Wizards can officially present a three-year, $111 million extension. The team has indicated it plans to give Beal the offer, and both the player’s camp and the franchise have remained in contact throughout the summer. Around the league, however, the extension is not viewed as a done deal, and there is a growing belief that Beal will not remain in Washington for his entire career.

“He’s out of there,” one well-placed person within the NBA predicted.
Beal has two years and more than $55 million remaining on his contact, but because of his youth and ever-expanding game he has attracted great interest from other teams, according to many league insiders. The Wizards have indicated they will not trade Beal, a declaration that dates from last season when Wall sustained an Achilles’ injury that led to Otto Porter Jr. being traded. While it is well known around the NBA how much the team loves Beal, that hasn’t quelled outside interest.

"Whether or not [Beal] stays there, I really couldn’t tell you,” another Eastern Conference senior executive said, “but I know that there’s a lot of teams out there that would love him.”

It probably would take an organization with young assets or draft picks, movable pieces and salary cap space to pull off a trade for Beal. Teams such as the Denver Nuggets, Miami Heat and Minnesota Timberwolves have some, if not all, of those criteria.

Reactions: yvrtojfk

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Not enough ball to go around for both George and Leonard with Clippers. Leonard was the guy in Toronto, and in San Antonio in their championships. With the Clippers there will be as many plays drawn up for George as there will be for Leonard. I honestly do not think it works. But they will have a strong D.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Curious as to if Kawhi will thank Toronto at any point, seeing as winning a championship is massive even if he was only here for one season. Nothing guarantees Kawhi gets another one in his career

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
And that is why he left -- challenges! He did everything for us as a rental, its pretty remark. I don't think he emulates that with Clips, Raps had a special year (everything went right).

Yeah, as mad as I want to be at him, I just can’t.

He did everything we asked of him and delivered one of the most memorable seasons and playoffs, in any sport, and for that I’ll always be grateful.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
And that is why he left -- challenges! He did everything for us as a rental, its pretty remark. I don't think he emulates that with Clips, Raps had a special year (everything went right).

I wouldn't necessarily say "everything went right". Nick Nurse was juggling his lineup pretty much the whole regular season as there were some injury problems + load management. In the playoffs, they trailed in every series until the finals. I don't think a team ever won a title while trailing in every series going into the finals. They had to overcome quite a bit to win in the end.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just a reminder - tomorrow will be the one month anniversary of the parade;

upload_2019-7-16_9-43-55.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00