Raptors Discussion: v76| Season of Kawhi Pt II: All Kawhi, all the time...or most of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I feel like we still need a great 3rd scoring threat to actually have a chance to win.

I don’t know how realistic it would be to get a third option or even who that option could be.

I think the best one can do is Butler.

But, we also have additional 3pt options in Green, FVV, OG, and Wright. I don't know how necessary a big 3 is if you have guys that can explode at any moment and prevent you from getting exploited by certain schemes. The keys to the Kawhi trade that promote sustainable success are:

1. No more DeMar ISOs
2. Give Lowry space and more off ball play
3. Elite defence at the wings
4. Two additional 3pt options
5. Allocate minutes at the 5 for Ibaka and provide more minutes for Siakam

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Gotta love DD's commitment to this city and team, but Leonard is a legit stud. The Raptors next 4-5 years are going to be defined by whether or not they can re-sign him.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Man it doesn’t even seem that far fetched to say that we have the best player in the game right now. If he re-signs here...they will win a championship in 5 years.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
OG Anunoby's brief foray with goggles is a fashion story of...
Fans weren’t the only ones who were quickly all-in on the idea.

“Pretty cool. Pretty cool, I just hope he’s 100 percent OK to play,” head coach Nick Nurse said before the game. “We were joking around about that yesterday. I said, ‘Are you going with (Kurt) Rambis or Kareem or Horace Grant?’ And he said, ‘None of those, I gotta get some good ones.'”

Those are stretch comparisons for the 21-year-old Anunoby, and Nurse wasn’t entirely sure, upon reflection, that Anunoby even knew those names. Anunoby didn’t let on to his coach if he didn’t and later said “of course” he knew Abdul-Jabbar, who last played eight years before Anunoby was even born. He knew Grant, too, and Bo Outlaw, who was another popular comparison. Anunoby had a more modern comparable in mind in the event he needed to find a long-term fit. Glasses from the 70s, 80s, and 90s wouldn’t do.

“Naw,” he said. “(Amar’e) Stoudemire.”

There was a small issue with that first pair, though, because they wouldn’t stay on. They were too loose, and Anunoby couldn’t get comfortable in them. So McCullough tried a second pair, fashioned a strap out of athletic tape to go around the back of Anunoby’s head to keep them in place.

Anunoby’s pregame warmup showed no obvious discomfort. Like last year, his scheduled warm-up time falls right in a dead spot for media duties, and so I’ve seen a lot of Anunoby shooting workouts the last year and change. His performance from beyond the arc last year was statistically strong enough to change the opinion of that tool (he’s started the season 3-of-8 on threes, a tiny sample right in line with his 37.1-percent mark from his rookie season), and he spent the offseason working to speed up his release and make it more repeatable. Friday’s workout was evidence of that good progress, with more wrist in his shot instead of the arm carrying the bulk of the load, Anunoby getting the ball a little higher, and his release in general looking more compact. In that controlled, opponent-free environment, Anunoby seemed just fine in the second pair.

Those ones felt a little better, too, and so Anunoby took the floor with them against the Celtics. In doing so, he became the latest in a line of Raptors to require temporary headgear that includes Cory Joseph, Patrick Patterson and, most famously, Hedo Turkoglu.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
At no point in any of the Raptors games so far have I even felt that they were in danger of losing. They've been that good to start.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Boo for the stoudamire glasses. Should've donned the Horace Grant goggles. Go big or go home, OG.

Also as a cool tribute because it turns out that Horace Grant had a pretty awesome reason for wearing them:

4-Time NBA Champion Horace Grant Reveals Why He Wore Goggles Even After Getting LASIK Eye Surgery

“I got them because I was legally blind. I wore ’em because of that for a few years. After a few years I got LASIK surgery, but I kept wearing them without the perscription lenses because I had grandparents and parents come up to me and thank me for wearing them. Their kids and grandkids would get made fun of by wearing protective eyewear playing sports, so I kept wearing them to help make it cool to wear goggles for the kids.”

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Gotta love DD's commitment to this city and team, but Leonard is a legit stud. The Raptors next 4-5 years are going to be defined by whether or not they can re-sign him.

It's simple really. He signs and they try to contend or he doesn't and a rebuild starts. Interesting to see what happens.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
:laugh: First off, the Lakers' new alternate jerseys with the gold trim and black side panels are ugly.

Second, it's hilarious to hear LeBron speak glowingly of their win and how hardfought it was against the ****ing Suns.

Congrats, Lakers, you beat arguably one of the three worst teams in your conference and acted like it was a good "character" win. Good luck with that

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Please someone hold me.....the excitement is too much
As a life long Raptors fan, I never thought we'd ever have a top 3 player on our team
You can tell the difference in late shot clock situations between DeRozan and Kawhi….Kawhi has so many tricks in his bag that defenders have absolutely no idea what he's going to do

Reactions: KingTY
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad