Raptors Discussion: v75| Season of Kawhi Part 1: Greatest expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Let me ask you guys this: if they re-sign Leonard, aren't they going to stay competitive for a few more years yet? There doesn't have to be a rebuild coming yet if we can get Leonard to re-sign.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Let me ask you guys this: if they re-sign Leonard, aren't they going to stay competitive for a few more years yet? There doesn't have to be a rebuild coming yet if we can get Leonard to re-sign.

Pretty much
It's like Cleveland with LeBron and Cleveland without LeBron
One's a lottery pick team and the other is favorite to go to the Finals

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Pretty much
It's like Cleveland with LeBron and Cleveland without LeBron
One's a lottery pick team and the other is favorite to go to the Finals

I don't think it's quite that far of a fall. Assuming nothing else changes, I think the Kawhi-less Raptors would still be a borderline playoff team. Nothing huge, just sort of a "Squeak in as the 7 or 8 seed, duking it out with Detroit/Miami/Washington for those spots" performance. The LeBron-les Cavs fell from home court advantage to being just good enough to not be in full-tank mode.

That said, if Kawhi leaves, I don't think it's worth being a borderline playoff team. Lowry's getting older, Ibaka's going to break completely sooner rather than later, and the clock is ticking on the bench mob guys down to the point where they get PAID and price themselves out of being workable top tier support pieces. So you do a quick-pivot tear-down, trade Lowry, trade Ibaka, see if a good season from the impressive-so-far-this-preseason Valanciunas gets you a decent trade return, and try and see if you can suck for a couple of years and be back to competing before 2022. Or you just go scorched earth, trade everyone but OG, and set your timer for like 2024.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Jonas Valanciunas, Fred VanVleet and Nick Nurse discuss how the Toronto Raptors' ability to be flexible with their lineups is the team's strength heading into the season, while Nurse explains that he will likely roll who's hot from game to game instead of being tied to a set starting lineup.

https://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/raptors-believe-their-lineup-flexibility-is-their-strength~1513864

That's smart and forward thinking imo.

I don't think much has to change though beyond Ibaka. Green, Kawhi, and OG can all guard 3-4 positions. You maybe swap out Ibaka/Val/Siakam depending on the matchup at the 5, but that's it.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Thank you. Gone are the days of Casey saying "the playoffs shouldnt take away the great season we had"

I'm quite excited for Nurse. He is touching on all the right things

-Need for more fluid lineups that adjust depending on the opponent and player performances
-Focus on ball movement and a smooth transition from defense to offense
-Regular season performance isn't the focus. It's about playing a sustainable method that can work in the playoffs.

Reactions: stickty111

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We are facing a lottery team tomorrow. Hopefully it will be relatively easy 1-0 to start. I think that Toronto will dummy teams this season. I am not scared of anyone in the East. Lowry and Leonard will dominate other teams, and the Raps depth is second to none.

Last edited:

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
We are facing a lottery team tomorrow. Hopefully it will be relatively easy 1-0 to start. I think that Toronto will dummy teams this season. I am not scared of anyone in the East. Lowry and Leonard will dominate other teams, and the Raps depth is second to none.

Only two real opponents will be the Sixers and Celtics (I think the Sixers are a little overrated ). If we cant get the Kawhi that we all know we bascially have a top 3 player in the league. That will make a big difference on both sides of the ball

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Only two real opponents will be the Sixers and Celtics (I think the Sixers are a little overrated ). If we cant get the Kawhi that we all know we bascially have a top 3 player in the league. That will make a big difference on both sides of the ball

Milwakee might be up there too, with Bud and a healthy Brogdon and Middleton. Remember, they took Boston to 7 last year.

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
Milwakee might be up there too, with Bud and a healthy Brogdon and Middleton. Remember, they took Boston to 7 last year.

I'm more afraid of Milwaukee than I am in Philly
From what I saw in pre-season, I think Giannis is going to take a step forward
He looks much more confident with his 3 point shot. The rest of his game is already well established
Getting 3 point shooters like Lopez, Ilyasova, Connaughton in the off-season was huge as well

Glenn Isildur Healy

Oct 8, 2013
CBC Studios
One more hour to go

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad