Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Monroe meh

More depth, good for them; not worried.

Now hitting free throws down the stretch with the game on the line - worrisome.

Lack of concentration and cockiness got the best of Lowry last night!!! Wont be an issue moving forward

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
valanciunas-blazers756.png

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Trail Blazers | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Trail Blazers

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Posted: Feb 02, 2018

Portland Trail Blazers (29-22) @ Toronto Raptors (34-16)
When: Friday, Feb. 2, 7:30 P.M. ET
Where: Air Canada Centre
Broadcast info: SN1, SN590
LAST MEETING
Toronto last saw Portland on the road at the end of October, in a game with plenty to remember. The Raptors held the Blazers to just six points — and one field goal — in the second quarter to build a 54-35 lead at the halftime break. Though Damian Lillard scored 36 to lead Portland, the Blazers wouldn't get closer than 13 in the second half and entered the fourth trailing by 20 points. The Raptors were without Jonas Valanciunas who had an ankle injury, and Serge Ibaka who had swelling in his knee. DeMar DeRozan scored 25 points and Kyle Lowry added 19 points and 10 rebounds.
LEADING INTO TONIGHT'S GAME
Injury report:
For Toronto, C.J. Miles is questionable with a sore left knee. For the Blazers, the injury report is still to be decided.
Player of the Month: The NBA announced on Monday that DeMar DeRozan was the Eastern Conference Player of the Month for games played in January. This was the third time DeRozan has received the honour in his career and came in a month where he averaged 25.3 points and 5.9 assists per game.
Home team: Friday's game against the Trail Blazers will kick off a four-game homestand, Toronto's longest of the season. After Portland, the Raptors will host the Memphis Grizzlies, the Boston Celtics and the New York Knicks before heading out on the road on Feb. 11 to take on the Charlotte Hornets.
EXTRA ASSISTS
Welcome Toronto:
The game will also be Toronto's third Welcome Toronto night of the season, with six nights scheduled. Look for the Raptors to wear their black-and-gold uniforms and play on the black-and-gold court once again.
Letting it fly: The NBA announced on Friday that Kyle Lowry will participate in the three-point contest on All-Star Saturday night in Los Angeles later this month. This will be the third consecutive year Lowry has participated in the event, and he will compete against Bradley Beal, Paul George, Klay Thompson, defending champion Eric Gordon, Devin Booker, Wayne Ellington and Tobias Harris.
Familiar faces: Head coaches Dwane Casey and Terry Stotts have history dating back to when both were assistant coaches under George Karl for the Seattle Supersonics. The duo were also both assistants under Rick Carlisle for the 2011 NBA Champion Dallas Mavericks. Raptors guard Delon Wright is the younger brother of former Blazers Dorell Wright, who played for Portland from 2013-2015.

Very cool jersey...

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
fvv-griz756.png

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Grizzlies | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Grizzlies

Posted: Feb 04, 2018

Memphis Grizzlies (18-33) @ Toronto Raptors (35-16)
When: Sunday, February 4th, 12 P.M. ET
Broadcast info: TSN4, TSN1050
LAST MEETING
The Raptors earned a 116-107 comeback victory against the Grizzlies in a road win in December. After trailing by 17 in the first half, Toronto, came all the way back, and thanks to a boost from the bench, pulled away in the fourth to earn the win. DeMar DeRozan led the way with 26 points while Serge Ibaka added 21 and Kyle Lowry had 16 points and eight assists. Fred VanVleet had one of his first fourth-quarter spark plug games of the season, scoring 12 points in Memphis to help Toronto overcome a 27-point performance from Tyreke Evans, 20 points from Marc Gasol and 15 from Chandler Parsons.
Injury report:
For Toronto, C.J. Miles is questionable with a sore left knee. For Memphis, Mario Chalmers is out with a left hamstring injury. Mike Conley is out because of his left heel, Chandler Parsons is out with right knee soreness, and Tyreke Evans is not with the team.
Sunday Matinee: The Raptors will have their only 12 P.M. home matinee of the season on Sunday. This will be the second game in a four-game homestand, Toronto's longest of the season. The Raptors are 20-4 on their home floor, owning the best home record in the NBA. Toronto is averaging 113.2 points and 11.4 three-pointers on the Air Canada Centre court.
Hot from deep: Toronto enters Sunday's game fresh off a dominant 130-105 victory against the Portland Trail Blazers. The Raptors were lights out from beyond the arc against Portland, connecting on 19-of-40 attempts from three. DeMar DeRozan shot 6-for-10 from three, nearly matching the number of threes made by Portland (7-for-21). Jonas Valanciunas also got into the action, shooting 2-of-4 from three, showing once again how Toronto's offence has evolved.
EXTRA ASSISTS
DeRozan on fire:
In his first home game since being named Eastern Conference Player of the Month for January, DeMar DeRozan exploded for 35 points. He also tied a career-high with six three-pointers. DeRozan is averaging 24.6 points (11th in the league), 4.1 rebounds and 5.2 assists (a career-high) per game. Toronto is 12-1 this season when he scores 30+ points.
Homecoming: Sunday's game will serve as a bit of a homecoming for Mississauga native and Grizzlies rookie Dillon Brooks. Having just been named to the 2018 Rising Stars Challenge as part of the World team, Brooks is in the middle of a solid rookie campaign, starting for the Grizzlies, and averaging 8.8 points, 3.0 rebounds and 1.2 assists per game. He is also shooting 39 percent from beyond the arc.
#BetOnYourself: Fred VanVleet continues to lead Toronto's reserves, scoring 16 points in Friday's victory against the Blazers. VanVleet has now topped double figures 16 times this season and Toronto is 13-3 in games where he does. On the season, VanVleet is averaging 7.8 points, 2.7 assists and 2.3 assists, and is averaging 14.6 points in his last five games.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This 3Q has been hilarious. Raps dominating both sides of the ball, but it's just not dropping.

And now it's a tie game after leading by 12.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Damn, we ain't catching Boston. They will probably win as many games as we will down the stretch. Don't think they will suddenly fall into a slump where they only win 2 out of 10 or something.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Damn, we ain't catching Boston. They will probably win as many games as we will down the stretch. Don't think they will suddenly fall into a slump where they only win 2 out of 10 or something.

Do they need to go into a prolonged slump? Raps are 2 games back with 2 games in hand. Win those and they’re a game behind. They also have three matchups against them, one being this Tuesday.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
We're only 2 games behind them and we have like 3 more games remaining against them. The next one is on Tuesday.

Also, I'll cocede they're a clutch team, but making contested jumper after contested jumper isn't clutch, it's luck imo.

We have a much better net rating than them too, so I'll be disappointed if we aren't ahead of them by the end of the season.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
derozan-celtics756.png

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Celtics | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Celtics

Posted: Feb 06, 2018

Boston Celtics (39-15) @ Toronto Raptors (36-16)
When: Tuesday, February 6th, 7:30 P.M. ET
Broadcast info: TSN1/4, SN590
LAST MEETING
The Raptors last saw the Celtics in November, dropping a 95-94 decision in Boston. Though the Celtics were without Kyrie Irving they were able to withstand Toronto's best shot, winning when DeMar DeRozan's potential game-winning jumper didn't connect with two seconds on the clock. The game was close throughout, tied after the first quarter, with the Celtics holding one-point lead heading into the fourth. Boston was led by Al Horford's 21 points (8-for-9 field goals), and Jaylen Brown's 18 points. DeRozan led the Raptors with 24 points while Kyle Lowry had 19 points and seven assists in the loss.
Injury report:
Toronto's injury report is clear, with C.J. Miles making his return to the court on Sunday against the Grizzlies after missing three games with a sore knee. The Celtics will be without Shane Larkin (knee) and Marcus Smart (hand), with neither making the trip to Toronto.
Number one spot: Tuesday's game will feature the top two teams in the Eastern Conference. At 36-16, the Raptors are 2.0 games behind Boston for the best record in the East and the Atlantic Division lead. Boston comes to Toronto to face a Raptors team with the best home record in the NBA this season at 21-4 on the Air Canada Centre floor.
Early wins: Toronto is fresh off a 101-86 victory against the Memphis Grizzlies that came in a Sunday matinee at the Air Canada Centre. The Celtics come to Toronto following a thrilling 97-96 victory against the Portland Trail Blazers. Boston won the game thanks to a fadeaway jumper from Al Horford at the buzzer.
EXTRA ASSISTS
Bench mob:
The Raptors bench was on its best behaviour against the Grizzlies on Sunday. Toronto's reserves outscored the Memphis bench 52-19 in the win, with Delon Wright leading the way. Wright scored 15 points, Fred VanVleet had 13 points, seven rebounds and eight assists, Pascal Siakam had 10 points and Jakob Poeltl added nine points as Dwane Casey went with his reserves the entire fourth quarter.
The Wright time: Delon Wright had 15 points, four rebounds, two assists and four steals in 25 minutes against the Grizzlies. He shot 6-for-9 from the floor and 2-for-2 from the free throw line, but the most impressive stat of his afternoon: Toronto was a +36 when Wright was on the floor.
Mighty JV: Another game, another game-high for Jonas Valanciunas. After opening the game with a dunk, then following it up with a three-pointer shortly after that, Valanciunas finished with 12 points and a game-high nine rebounds in 24 minutes on Sunday. He is averaging 12.0 points, 8.4 rebounds and 0.7 blocks per game this season and averaged 13.1 points, 9.9 rebounds and 0.9 blocks per game in January while shooting 61 percent from the floor

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So how do people feel about our chances of going to the finals this season? Cleveland seems to have huge issues and are a far cry from what they used to be. If we really are better than Boston, does that mean we should be considered the favourites to emerge from the East? Are the odds of winning the East something like this?

Raptors - 35%
Boston - 30%
Cleveland - 25%
Others - 10%

I have no idea myself, just throwing these numbers out there and I'm interested to see what more knowledgeable hoops fans think. Haven't watched a lot of Raptors games this year TBH but am definitely looking forward to the game tonight!

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Anyone who thinks we are not catching Boston is not wise. Look at their schedule compared to ours down the stretch:

Boston still has to go out West for two trips that Toronto has already done. They still play Toronto 3 times, Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, Indiana, revamped Detroit, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Portland, etc.... and 16 of remaining 28 are on the road.

Toronto doesn't go out West anymore. They have to play Boston 3 times, Cleveland twice, Houston at home, Indiana, revamped Detroit and the rest is non-playoff Eastern conference teams. 14 of remaining 30 games are on the road.

But the keys here are we have to play 2 more games then Boston, we have 2 more home games then Boston where we are a power house. 2 of the 3 games against Boston are in Toronto. And our schedule is far more easier not having to go out West again when they do.

We are 2 games back. Win both in Toronto, and win both games in hand. You are first in conference by one game. And that is only accounting for 4 of the remaining 30 games on Toronto's schedule.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So how do people feel about our chances of going to the finals this season? Cleveland seems to have huge issues and are a far cry from what they used to be. If we really are better than Boston, does that mean we should be considered the favourites to emerge from the East? Are the odds of winning the East something like this?

Raptors - 35%
Boston - 30%
Cleveland - 25%
Others - 10%

I have no idea myself, just throwing these numbers out there and I'm interested to see what more knowledgeable hoops fans think. Haven't watched a lot of Raptors games this year TBH but am definitely looking forward to the game tonight!

I imagine the actual odds (i.e. vegas) to win the East actually still favour the Celtics. Cleveland also likely maintains some benefit of doubt because they've looked a mess during the mid-point of the season a couple times over the last few years, and have still turned it on.

All that said, IMO, the Raptors are the deepest team in the East. If it wasn't for the existence of Lebron, I would also say they should be the favourites to come out of the East.

In terms of playoff series, I'm more nervous about trying to stop Lebron than I am trying to beat Brad Stevens. Add in the inevitable refereeing slant, and it will be quite the mountain to climb.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I imagine the actual odds (i.e. vegas) to win the East actually still favour the Celtics. Cleveland also likely maintains some benefit of doubt because they've looked a mess during the mid-point of the season a couple times over the last few years, and have still turned it on.

All that said, IMO, the Raptors are the deepest team in the East. If it wasn't for the existence of Lebron, I would also say they should be the favourites to come out of the East.

In terms of playoff series, I'm more nervous about trying to stop Lebron than I am trying to beat Brad Stevens. Add in the inevitable refereeing slant, and it will be quite the mountain to climb.

Thanks for your thoughts. I can't look at Vegas odds at work, maybe I'll have a look at home tonight. It sounds like it's a pretty close battle and I agree, I'm more worried about Lebron, the guy's a living mythical beast.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Thanks for your thoughts. I can't look at Vegas odds at work, maybe I'll have a look at home tonight. It sounds like it's a pretty close battle and I agree, I'm more worried about Lebron, the guy's a living mythical beast.

If there were ever a year to exorcise the demon, it's this year. It seems like Lebron has already left in FA in his head.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Anyone who thinks we are not catching Boston is not wise. Look at their schedule compared to ours down the stretch:

Boston still has to go out West for two trips that Toronto has already done. They still play Toronto 3 times, Cleveland, Houston, Minnesota, Indiana, revamped Detroit, New Orleans, Oklahoma City, Portland, etc.... and 16 of remaining 28 are on the road.

Toronto doesn't go out West anymore. They have to play Boston 3 times, Cleveland twice, Houston at home, Indiana, revamped Detroit and the rest is non-playoff Eastern conference teams. 14 of remaining 30 games are on the road.

But the keys here are we have to play 2 more games then Boston, we have 2 more home games then Boston where we are a power house. 2 of the 3 games against Boston are in Toronto. And our schedule is far more easier not having to go out West again when they do.

We are 2 games back. Win both in Toronto, and win both games in hand. You are first in conference by one game. And that is only accounting for 4 of the remaining 30 games on Toronto's schedule.

A lot depends on tonight. If we lose, then I think it will be tough to be 4 games better than them the rest of the way. It's just the way I feel.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
A lot depends on tonight. If we lose, then I think it will be tough to be 4 games better than them the rest of the way. It's just the way I feel.

I disagree wholeheartedly. As Mr. Blue mentioned, Boston still has to go out West, Toronto has two games in hand, and the Raptors are the superior team (7.07 SRS vs. 4.26 SRS).

Regardless of what happens tonight (though of course I'd love a win), Boston is by no means running and hiding with the conference.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
I don't care how bad Cleveland looks right now. Come playoff time LeBron will flip the switch and the Cavs will be incredibly hard to beat.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
I don't care how bad Cleveland looks right now. Come playoff time LeBron will flip the switch and the Cavs will be incredibly hard to beat.

I would NEVER count LBJ and the Cavs out. (at least not for a few more years)

However, IF Cavs dump IT as some rumours are going, I wonder how that would work out? They aren't in a healthy place right now.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

You might be right but I think they are broken. There is no fixing things this time. They won't become a cohesive unit all of a sudden in the playoffs. I still hope we avoid them and that some other team will do the dirty work for us, but they are very beatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad