Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
And Casey was regarded as one of the worst coaches in the league, but has ultimately brought out so much more from his players this season. You don't cultivate a winning culture by tanking and tanking and tanking. Chances are you'll just end up like the Magic, or if you luck out, the 76ers (who everyone definitely wants to be).

I agree. I'm just saying that Popovich covers for a lot of other issues. Once he retires it'll be interesting how the Spurs do.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Bogus move. Why good? So they can get rinsed in the playoffs the next 3 years? That team needed to rebuild, not add. In the NBA, you have to tank, pick high, and load up. It's good financially, hoping Griffen puts more people in the seats and gets people to care again, but they aren't winning anything anyways. They had pieces to sell.

Tobias has 1 year left on his deal
Bradley is an upcoming FA
The 1st will be in the 10-20 range

Blake Griffin is a legitimate star and is under contract for 5 years.
Griffin might be slightly overpaid and injury prone but he’ll be a good compliment to Drummond and makes the Pistons much better.

This deal makes them better now, and if they want to move Griffin in the future I think they’ll be able to get more than what they paid for him

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Tobias has 1 year left on his deal
Bradley is an upcoming FA
The 1st will be in the 10-20 range

Blake Griffin is a legitimate star and is under contract for 5 years.
Griffin might be slightly overpaid and injury prone but he’ll be a good compliment to Drummond and makes the Pistons much better.

This deal makes them better now, and if they want to move Griffin in the future I think they’ll be able to get more than what they paid for him

I just disagree. They needed to sell Bradley and Tobias. The NBA is about star power, and sure, you aquired a star in Griffen, but with his injuries, the $35-39m contract, and the fact that their supporting cast is weak, this move was for nothing but ticket sales. It will be more years of futility in Detroit, delaying the inevitable.

Stan Van is a joke. He did this to save his job. Local radio says "but with his draft record..."
WHAT!?! Is that a reason to let a guy trade away 1st rounders, or is that a reason to re-evaluate your GM situation?

The Pistons have a long way to go.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
So do we go after Lou or DJ? Or no room for either one on this team?

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
fvv-wolves756.jpg

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Timberwolves | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Timberwolves

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Posted: Jan 30, 2018

Minnesota Timberwolves (32-21) @ Toronto Raptors (33-15)
When: Tuesday, January 30th, 7:30 P.M. ET
Where: Air Canada Centre
Broadcast info: TSN4, SN590
LAST MEETING
The Raptors saw the Timberwolves on their last road trip where a 40-point effort from Kyle Lowry was wasted in a disappointing 115-109 loss. Though the Raptors led throughout the first half, their defence faltered in the second, just as Minnesota was heating up. While Lowry was spectacular for Toronto, Andrew Wiggins kept the Wolves close with 22 first-half points, finishing with 29 to lead a Minnesota team that attempted 42 free throws in the game. In addition to Lowry's 40 points, DeMar DeRozan added 20 points and five assists in the loss while Karl-Anthony Towns added 22 points and 10 rebounds for the Wolves.
LEADING INTO TONIGHT'S GAME
Injury report:
For Toronto, the injury report is clear. Minnesota's injury report was also clear. The Timberwolves come to Toronto straight from Atlanta, where they dropped a close 105-100 decision to the Hawks on Monday night.
All-Star coaching staff: Thanks to Toronto's victory against the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, the Raptors coaching staff will be headed to L.A. to coach Team LeBron in the All-Star Game next month. Casey is the first coach in franchise history to earn the honour. The team celebrated his accomplishment following Sunday's game by spraying him with water in the locker room before he met with the media for his post-game availability.
The one that got away: The Raptors were not pleased with their second-half effort in their previous loss against the Timberwolves. Tuesday's game won't be any easier, with Jimmy Butler and Jamal Crawford back in the lineup. The duo both missed Minnesota's win against the Raptors. Another thing Raptors head coach Dwane Casey brought up ahead of Tuesday's game: Andrew Wiggins playing in front of a hometown crowd. "I love Wiggins but I think he gets excited about playing Toronto," Casey said. "We've gotta understand that. He does get excited and motivated to play against us."
EXTRA ASSISTS
Career weekend:
It was another huge weekend for Fred VanVleet. The second-year man led the way in Toronto's victory against the Lakers, scoring a career-high 25 points in 20 minutes off the bench. He shot 9-for-13 from the floor, 3-for-4 from beyond the arc and 4-for-4 from the free throw line, while adding two rebounds, four assists and two steals, without a turnover. After the game, Dwane Casey had high praise for VanVleet. "He has all my respect," Casey said. "He's a kid, undrafted, he comes in and makes our team and he's an important part of what we do."
Passing the rock: The Raptors are now 27-8 this season when recording 20+ assists in a game. Through 48 games, they have already surpassed last season's total of 34 games with 20+ assists. The bulk of Toronto's assists come from the backcourt as Kyle Lowry leads the team with 6.6 assists per game and DeMar DeRozan averaging a career-high 5.1 assists per game.
Block city: Serge Ibaka had 11 points, nine rebounds and three blocks against the Lakers. Ibaka is averaging 1.47 blocks per contest, ranking him 10th in the NBA. He's had eight games with 3+ blocks already and the team is a perfect 6-0 when he scores 20+ points. Like Jonas Valanciunas, Ibaka has gotten off to a strong start in 2018, averaging 11.2 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.62 blocks per game in January.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
So do we go after Lou or DJ? Or no room for either one on this team?

Both will probably end up as Cavs somehow.

While Lou is playing great right now, and this team could use a primary ball handler/scorer on the second unit, I don't think what he brings would benefit as much as it hinders (I.e the defence of the second unit would suffer, chemistry would certainly suffer).

Prior to JV remembering how to play basketball, I would have been in on DJ. But as of now, I like the JV-Poeltl 1-2 at the 5.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
If I'm the Raps I stay away from anything that the Clippers are attempting to sell. Both Lou and DJ are not pieces we need, especially with their "me first" attitude.

The Raps need to find a legit 3 point shooter and move Anuyobi to second unit. If it means trading Powell and a pick for it do it.

One player I would target is Wesley Matthews in Dallas. Would Powell, another bench player and 2nd get it done?

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If I'm the Raps I stay away from anything that the Clippers are attempting to sell. Both Lou and DJ are not pieces we need, especially with their "me first" attitude.

The Raps need to find a legit 3 point shooter and move Anuyobi to second unit. If it means trading Powell and a pick for it do it.

One player I would target is Wesley Matthews in Dallas. Would Powell, another bench player and 2nd get it done?

You can’t trade Norm until next year

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
He hasn’t entered his new deal yet so he cannot be traded.

Thank you for the clarification. Either way someone like Matthews would be a great get to replace Anuyobi in the starting 5. Don't know what it would take to pry him away from the Mavs.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Thank you for the clarification. Either way someone like Matthews would be a great get to replace Anuyobi in the starting 5. Don't know what it would take to pry him away from the Mavs.

I personally prefer OG (0.8 vorp in 1027 MP) over Matthews (1.0 vorp in 1756 MP).

He's going to cover Giannis, LeBron, and Tatum (in that order), and then perhaps you'll prefer him as well.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I personally prefer OG (0.8 vorp in 1027 MP) over Matthews (1.0 vorp in 1756 MP).

He's going to cover Giannis, LeBron, and Tatum (in that order), and then perhaps you'll prefer him as well.

Not saying that OG isn't part of the solution. But we definitely can use more scoring in the starting 5 when it comes to the three ball. OG can still defend all those players you state he needs to. But Matthews isn't chopped liver when it comes to defense either, and guarding those type of players means foul trouble. So having a one-two punch at that position doesn't harm anything. If anything gives us more of a well rounded 2nd unit and coverage in the case of foul trouble.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Not saying that OG isn't part of the solution. But we definitely can use more scoring in the starting 5 when it comes to the three ball. OG can still defend all those players you state he needs to. But Matthews isn't chopped liver when it comes to defense either, and guarding those type of players means foul trouble. So having a one-two punch at that position doesn't harm anything. If anything gives us more of a well rounded 2nd unit and coverage in the case of foul trouble.

Not at all, but he's not covering any of those three I listed any better than Norm Powell or Pascal Siakam as a spot defender when OG is in foul trouble or resting. Who does Matthews replace in the current rotation (which already needs to be cut down)? If he's replacing CJ Miles, then sure.

PG) Kyle (2.6 vorp/1476)
SG) Demar (2.0 vorp/1655)
SF) OG (0.8 vorp/1027)
PF) Ibaka (0.5 vorp/1204)
C) JV (0.5 vorp/936)
6) Delon (1.0 vorp/775)
7) Siakam (1.0 vorp/938)
8) Poeltl (0.9 vorp/853)
9) FVV (0.7 vorp/830)
10) CJM (0.4 vorp/764)
Non-Rotation) BeBe (0.5/290), Norm (-0.1 vorp/681)

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
OG: 0.8 vorp in 1027 MP, with 12.1 usage %.
Matthews: 1.0 vorp in 1756 MP, with 17.4 usage %.

According to this Matthews is an improvement. So why so against it? He replaces OG in starting 5. OG moves into a second unit with Wright/FVV, Poeltl, Siakam, CJM. There is plenty of room and playing time available. The lineup becomes that much deeper.

Trade Caboclo, Mckinnie and 2nd for Matthews.

PG - Lowry
SG - Matthews
SF - Derozan
C - Val
PF - Ibaka

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Don’t think that we should just gloss over the fact that he’s a net negative on the floor and has been for the past three seasons now. I know the Mavs are bad, but when an old Dirk is still one of the most effective players on the court, you should probably reflect on the other talent, and Matthews post-ruptured achilles has just not been good.

Also that trade doesn’t work anyway. You have to match Matthews’ salary (and any other player in future trade proposals) since the Raps are over the cap.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Fred Van Vleet out for tonight: Became a father this morning.

Wright will pick up his minutes, does that mean Powell picks up Wright's?

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
According to this Matthews is an improvement. So why so against it? He replaces OG in starting 5. OG moves into a second unit with Wright/FVV, Poeltl, Siakam, CJM. There is plenty of room and playing time available. The lineup becomes that much deeper.

Trade Caboclo, Mckinnie and 2nd for Matthews.

PG - Lowry
SG - Matthews
SF - Derozan
C - Val
PF - Ibaka

Wat.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I think OG fits perfectly in the starting lineup. Couldn’t be more happy with him.

Really don’t wanna mess with the top 10 in the rotation and without being able to move Powell I don’t know how you’d do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad