Raptors Discussion: v71|RIP Bruno era (2014-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
As of today, the Raptors bench features four ~1 vorp players (Wright, Siakam, Poeltl, Vanvleet). Its the best bench in the NBA.

Agreed. If there was ever a viable path to the NBA Finals, this year is as good as it gets for us. We just have to stay healthy and hope that our kids don't fall apart under playoff pressure.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Toronto has now embarrassed two of its contenders for the East crown in the Cavs and yesterday the Celtics. I really don't see how anyone can stop the Raps this season. Their bench is probably at par or at least a close second to the Warriors. In two games against the Warriors this season we have held our own. Had an opportunity to win both games. We came up short in both, but I feel if we get to the finals we can give them a fight at the very least.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Team looks incredibly good this year. Much different than any previous year. They play as a unit, both the starters and the bench. The East is there for the taking...

But I still think they need to add someone else to stand a chance vs GSW/HOU/OKC. Anyone in mind they can trade for?

I wouldn't expect much of anything tbh. We're pretty much cap crunched

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Team looks incredibly good this year. Much different than any previous year. They play as a unit, both the starters and the bench. The East is there for the taking...

But I still think they need to add someone else to stand a chance vs GSW/HOU/OKC. Anyone in mind they can trade for?

Your seriously worried about HOU and OKC??? We wont need to play them at all the remainder of the season. Warriors are what you should be focusing on not those other two teams as they will be eliminated before the finals.

That being said, there isn't any additions that would make us better then the Warriors at this point on paper. But it doesn't mean in a 7 game series someone is hotter then someone else or key injuries happen that can cause a series outcome to be a surprise.

Hey if the Eagles can win a Super Bowl against the Pats. Anything is possible!!!!! Upsets do happen.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Your seriously worried about HOU and OKC??? We wont need to play them at all the remainder of the season. Warriors are what you should be focusing on not those other two teams as they will be eliminated before the finals.

That being said, there isn't any additions that would make us better then the Warriors at this point on paper. But it doesn't mean in a 7 game series someone is hotter then someone else or key injuries happen that can cause a series outcome to be a surprise.

Hey if the Eagles can win a Super Bowl against the Pats. Anything is possible!!!!! Upsets do happen.

The Super Bowl wasn't that big an upset. Pats we're 4.5 pt favourites, I'd guess that means a 66% chance to win or something like that. If a Raptor Warrior series were to start tomorrow, I doubt we'd be given more than about a 10% chance.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie

Houston has a legit shot

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
lowry-knicks756.jpg

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Knicks | Toronto Raptors

Game Preview: Raptors vs. Knicks

Holly MacKenzie - Raptors.com
Posted: Feb 08, 2018

New York Knicks (23-32) @ Toronto Raptors (36-16)
When: Thursday, February 8th, 7:30 P.M. ET
Where: Air Canada Centre
Broadcast info: SN1, TSN1050
LAST MEETING
The Raptors fell to the Knicks 108-100 in the last meeting between these two teams in November at Madison Square Garden. It was a wild game, and one the Raptors would not like to not repeat, losing after leading by 11 at the half. Toronto collapsed in the third quarter, getting outscored 41-10 as Ti Hardaway Jr. led the way in a 28-0 Knicks run. New York went from being down 11 at the half to leading 89-69 heading into the fourth. Hardaway Jr. scored a career-high in the game, with 38 points, and Kristaps Porzingis added 22 points and 12 rebounds for the Knicks. Kyle Lowry scored 25 points to lead Toronto in the loss, and DeMar DeRozan added 18 points.
LEADING INTO TONIGHT'S GAME
Injury report:
Toronto's injury report is clear. The Knicks will be without Kristaps Porzingis (left ACL), Enes Kanter (oral surgery), Ron Baker (right shoulder injury), and Joakim Noah (personal reasons).
Homecourt dominance: The Raptors enter Thursday's game following a dominant 111-91 victory against the Boston Celtics. The victory moved them within a single game of Boston, the top team in the Eastern Conference, and it came largely because of the play of the second unit. Toronto's bench exploded for 59 points on 21-of-30 field goals in Tuesday's game, including shooting 9-for-16 from beyond the arc. The Raptors are an NBA-best 22-4 on the Air Canada Centre floor.
Disappointing finish: The Knicks were dealt a tough blow on Tuesday when All-Star forward Kristaps Porzingis went down with an ACL injury. The team announced after the game that an MRI revealed the tear in his left knee. Porzingis had started all 47 games he had appeared in this season, averaging 22.9 points, 6.7 rebounds and 1.2 assists per contest.
EXTRA ASSISTS
From deep:
Kyle Lowry will participate in the NBA's All-Star Saturday Night three-point competition during All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles later this month. He shot 6-for-11 from three in Tuesday's victory against the Celtics. The team as a whole shot 17-for-36 (47 percent) against one of the best teams in the league at defending the three-point shot.
Shooters shoot: Joining Lowry in Tuesday's three-point barrage was reserve C.J. Miles who came off the bench to score 20 points in just 15 minutes of action. Miles shot 6-for-8 from the floor and 5-for-7 from beyond the arc, stretching the floor for his teammates and extending Toronto's lead throughout the second half.
Raining threes: DeMar DeRozan was 2-for-6 from three on Tuesday and needs just three more three-point field goals to match his career high for three-pointers made during a single season. He is shooting 34 percent from beyond the arc this season and has made 61 threes. DeRozan is averaging 24.2 points, 4.0 rebounds, 5.1 assists and 1.2 steals per game.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I don't like saying this, but I'm not as confident as I was with OG as our starting 3 if the goal is to win it all. His offensive game is way too inconsistent. I LOVE the kid, I just don't think he's mature enough YET to handle NBA playoff games.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I wouldn't be against a bench add today at the deadline, but that's all they need.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Is there any real reason we would want DeAndre Jordan?

Someone help me understand the rumours.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Is there any real reason we would want DeAndre Jordan?

Someone help me understand the rumours.

He does all the things we wish JV did basically. He's a rim defender and a monster in the p&r. But I think from the business side you hope to see him walk in the summer and gain some cap flexibility.

Reactions: Morgs

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
So what does it mean for us?

Hard to tell until deadline passes but I don't think this effects us much directly. Might clear up some of the cancer in that Cavs room but I dunno. I think most of the narrative here will be with LA and their plans in the summer which might involve LBJ

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Hard to tell until deadline passes but I don't think this effects us much directly. Might clear up some of the cancer in that Cavs room but I dunno. I think most of the narrative here will be with LA and their plans in the summer which might involve LBJ

yup the Lakers will have a ****load of cap space with those expiring contracts

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Unless you buy into the idea that Thomas was poison in their locker room and somehow largely responsible for how bad the entire team had been playing, I doubt it.

Cool, thanks. The Thomas theory sounds fishy to me so I guess we're good.

I looked up the odds last night on who's going to win the East, was surprised to see how heavily favoured Cleveland is. Don't remember the exact odds but they were way ahead, then came BOS and a bit further behind were the Raptors. The numbers sounded tempting actually, was thinking of betting some money. Mostly for fun but really, the odds sounded tempting.

Admittedly I'm a very casual fan but I'd guess we should be the favourites at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad