Raptors Discussion: v70| It's off-season time (pre-season vs LAC from Hawaii: Sun Oct 1 @ 10pm ET/7pm PT | SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
With the way Lavar has promoted his kid, it just feels like he's destined to bust. It feels like the kind of situation that we will all look back on in 10 years and laugh. Lonzo seems like a good kid, he just had an ass for a father and feels he had to go along with it.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
If your kid was as good as Lonzo could be, and you had another son who could be just as potentially elite (the youngin'), you'd be the same too. It's whatever. Hes promoting his kid and dont let media narrative tell you that teams wouldnt take Lonzo high. hes going #2 in the draft even with his dad's "issues". People make bigger deals outta smaller things these days cause of the internet.

I'd take Ball on the Raps 100/100 times. Who cares what his dad says.

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008
Quite a bizarre trade by Ainge. It seems like he's trying to be too cute and stockpile 1sts like he did with Brooklyn. Perhaps Jackson is a better fit but you always take the BPA in the draft. They'd be better off trading IT. I know he's become a top scorer, but he can't defend for his life at that height.

Interesting to see what happens with Lowry now since Philly doesn't make sense anymore.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
Quite a bizarre trade by Ainge. It seems like he's trying to be too cute and stockpile 1sts like he did with Brooklyn. Perhaps Jackson is a better fit but you always take the BPA in the draft. They'd be better off trading IT. I know he's become a top scorer, but he can't defend for his life at that height.

Interesting to see what happens with Lowry now since Philly doesn't make sense anymore.

1) I don't expect to see boston sit on all of those picks. I think they will move them for a quality piece. There was rumours of a trade for Butler from Chicago but I don't know enough about basketball to speculate.

2) The trade makes a lot of sense from what ive read if they expect to take Jackson at #3. They are basically getting some free picks for picking the person that they want anyways!

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Lebron-Kyrie-George would be the only thing that could challenge that Warriors team. Love would have to be going the other way for cap reasons.

I also expect the Rockets to make a big splash this off-season, not sure what but I think they will acquire a star player.

Pelicans could and should be making a huge move as well. AD+Cousins and add a guard like CP3 or George = dangerous

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
With the way Lavar has promoted his kid, it just feels like he's destined to bust. It feels like the kind of situation that we will all look back on in 10 years and laugh. Lonzo seems like a good kid, he just had an ass for a father and feels he had to go along with it.

I think people are hoping he'll bust. I am curious as to what makes his father an "ass".

I personally am hoping he becomes a star.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I think people are hoping he'll bust. I am curious as to what makes his father an "ass".

I personally am hoping he becomes a star.

Honestly, if you hear his old man talk and don't come away thinking the guy is a clown, I can't really help you. He's always the loudest in the room, he's bombastic, makes some really silly claims. Any guy that says the things he has said regarding Michael Jordan, for example, has clearly taken too many shots to the head in their foot all career.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Honestly, if you hear his old man talk and don't come away thinking the guy is a clown, I can't really help you. He's always the loudest in the room, he's bombastic, makes some really silly claims. Any guy that says the things he has said regarding Michael Jordan, for example, has clearly taken too many shots to the head in their foot all career.

Doesn't make him an ass. Hasn't hurt a fly, and has gotten free advertising for his little entrepreneurship simply because people are easy.

Any one who thinks that the things he has said are not said with a purpose is naïve, and is exactly his target. The sum of his words and the ******** that has followed each time can be quantified to roughly ~USD$80MM worth of marketing. Ridiculously brilliant given his clown status.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Doesn't make him an ass. Hasn't hurt a fly, and has gotten free advertising for his little entrepreneurship simply because people are easy.

Any one who thinks that the things he has said are not said with a purpose is na�ve, and is exactly his target. The sum of his words and the ******** that has followed each time can be quantified to roughly ~USD$80MM worth of marketing. Ridiculously brilliant given his clown status.

All true but doesn't make him less of an ass :laugh:

Especially since it's his son he's trying to ride off of. He could be the reason he drops in the draft, effecting his payday, and was the reason he didn't get a huge shoe deal

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
All true but doesn't make him less of an ass :laugh:

Especially since it's his son he's trying to ride off of. He could be the reason he drops in the draft, effecting his payday, and was the reason he didn't get a huge shoe deal

I highly doubt he drops in the draft. Also, if Lonzo is good, the shoes will sell. The idea that these people are thumbing their nose at the establishment and going independently because they want the bulk of the profit rather than an extremely small percentage.

I hope it works for them because it breaks the established system (i.e. old white dude(s) makes billions, young black man gets millions, off of young black man's popularity).

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If the Cavaliers for some odd reason are able to acquire George, then not that the NBA cares, but I'm pretty much done with this league.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
If the Cavaliers for some odd reason are able to acquire George, then not that the NBA cares, but I'm pretty much done with this league.

For me, about the only interesting thing about this off-season is can the Cavs do anything to give themselves a better shot against GS so if they get George, I'd consider that great news!

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

Apparently they've shifted their focus onto Butler. Which is strange because he'd be even more difficult to acquire than PG.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Apparently they've shifted their focus onto Butler. Which is strange because he'd be even more difficult to acquire than PG.

Their GM left the team which is even more bizarre considering the owner didn't let him interview for the Orlando job.

Seriously, I don't see any way logically that they can acquire George or even Butler with the trash they have on their team apart from LeBron and Kyrie.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
https://www.thescore.com/news/1321501

Been some rumours flying around the last few hours about Lowry being dissatisfied with the Raptors and having zero interest in re-signing with them. He quickly went to twitter to talk about how the reports are BS, and it really makes you think, if he's looking for a place to win a ring (per CBS sports), what on Earth is he going to find? The only conceivable option seems to be the Spurs, unless him and LeBron magically get together and sign with the Clippers. Or, D'Angelo Russell does get traded and he goes to the Lakers and waits for PG next year, but again, they or any team he feels like joining still won't be nearly competitive enough to challenge the Warriors in the west or the Cavs and potentially the Celtics in the east.

Also for whatever it's worth, Blake Griffin listed his four favourite NBA cities in descending order: New York, Phoenix, Toronto, and Boston.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If Griffin wasn't so injury prone, I'd love to have him here.

And if Butler is available, Raps should be all over it

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If Griffin wasn't so injury prone, I'd love to have him here.

And if Butler is available, Raps should be all over it

If he is indeed available, then Jimmy Butler is the best player on the market. Issue is, Chicago doesn't have to deal him so the price would (should) be extremely high. If Cleveland asked for him, the cost should be Irving and futures. For Boston, it would be Bradley, Crowder, the 3rd OA pick and futures. I'd love him on the Raptors, but similar to Cleveland, they don't have the assets (unless someone in Chicago was high, and would take Valanciunas as the centerpiece...which I can't imagine the dope is that good in Chicago).

As for Griffin, if he goes to free agency, and would come to the Raptors, I would far more prefer to go heavy on term and salary for him rather than a 37 year old Ibaka. A (*healthy*) big three of Lowry-Derozan-Griffin has a shot at going seven games with the 16/17 Cavaliers.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
If he is indeed available, then Jimmy Butler is the best player on the market. Issue is, Chicago doesn't have to deal him so the price would (should) be extremely high. If Cleveland asked for him, the cost should be Irving and futures. For Boston, it would be Bradley, Crowder, the 3rd OA pick and futures. I'd love him on the Raptors, but similar to Cleveland, they don't have the assets (unless someone in Chicago was high, and would take Valanciunas as the centerpiece...which I can't imagine the dope is that good in Chicago).

As for Griffin, if he goes to free agency, and would come to the Raptors, I would far more prefer to go heavy on term and salary for him rather than a 37 year old Ibaka. A (*healthy*) big three of Lowry-Derozan-Griffin has a shot at going seven games with the 16/17 Cavaliers.
I would prefer a trade for George than to sign Griffin. PG is more of a game-changer IMO and that's what the Raptors need - a star player who could take over a game when Derozan can't. Assuming JV would be the centerpiece in a trade for George.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I would prefer a trade for George than to sign Griffin. PG is more of a game-changer IMO and that's what the Raptors need - a star player who could take over a game when Derozan can't. Assuming JV would be the centerpiece in a trade for George.

I like PG as well, however the window with him would be smaller (i.e. only one year) for the team to gel and adjust. It would be difficult to get up to full speed and go on a run for a single season. While, if Griffin was signed to a four year deal (and Lowry conversely, somehow, resigned as well) you have that big three for three year, give or take.

Also, Griffin most certainly is a difference maker in the class of PG (i.e. 3-5 Vorp player). I believe he's been getting a bit overrated over the last month, actually. He derives a lot of his value from his defense (which has been tremendous), but that has already began deteriorating as it does at you cross into your late twenties. He can't shut down Lebron anyway, so I don't see a reason to buy hard based on that.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I like PG as well, however the window with him would be smaller (i.e. only one year) for the team to gel and adjust. It would be difficult to get up to full speed and go on a run for a single season. While, if Griffin was signed to a four year deal (and Lowry conversely, somehow, resigned as well) you have that big three for three year, give or take.

Also, Griffin most certainly is a difference maker in the class of PG (i.e. 3-5 Vorp player). I believe he's been getting a bit overrated over the last month, actually. He derives a lot of his value from his defense (which has been tremendous), but that has already began deteriorating as it does at you cross into your late twenties. He can't shut down Lebron anyway, so I don't see a reason to buy hard based on that.
Do you really think Butler would cost the Cavs Kyrie+? Irving is the better player of the two IMO.

If nothing else gets done, then of course I'd love to sign Griffin without losing any players or picks.

Lowry
Derozan
Tucker
Griffin
Valanciunas

Joseph
Powell
Patterson
Carroll (lol)
Poeltl

Status
Not open for further replies.