Raptors Discussion: v46|#WeTheNorth | Guttin' out wins all the way to the top (avatars: post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Not only are the Cavs losing to an awful Knicks team but they're going to have to travel from NY to TO tomorrow to play a rested Raptors team and the Cavs have essentially only used 7 players tonight as well so their starters will likely be more worn out. Things are lining up well for another beatdown of the Cavs tomorrow... no jinx

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Big finish here....
Cle 90 NY 87 F
crap :(

Irving with 37 pts in the post game:
"Now we've got to get ready for a game with the top team in the East and that's the Toronto Raptors"

Last edited:

Shwaguy*

And that's exactly my point lol. Westbrook has more raw talent, Lowry just wins and puts it all on the floor... He will take a charge when your up 20 points in the 4th quarter. He provides value that you can't display in the stat sheet. He get's the most out of everyone especially JV. Westbrook is elite and a top 3 PG, and Lowry is just a better fit here.

meh, I don't think that fit offsets the talent difference though. Health is the only reason. Russ is a leader as well.

You gotta watch Russ play more if you don't think he lays it all out on the floor.

Shwaguy*

I hate Westbrick. Guy is a chucker and an iso player. Doesn't get his team involved enough. I hate how he plays to much hero ball.

Lowry is a more complete player.

No doubt Westbrick is nice to watch though. He's younger and more athletic and can bring the highlight reel dunks and shooting displays. When of course he isn't bricking shots on his usual, 12-27 shooting nights.

Westbrook can dominate a game though. He's a complete player, great defensively (I take Lowry over him)

The chucker narrative is over done. He shoots as much as any score first pg in the League, and is the best at it next to Curry. And it's not like he neglects to find his teammates, he always averages more assists than Lowry (Lowry has less Turnovers).

Scion

May 25, 2012
Don't know if this has been posted already, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

The Sports Room @TSRamadan
The @Raptors are 48-2 dating to the start of the 2013-14 season when leading entering the fourth quarter. #WeTheNorth

AustonMitchWilly

Jul 3, 2013
Don't know if this has been posted already, but I found it interesting nonetheless.

The Sports Room @TSRamadan
The @Raptors are 48-2 dating to the start of the 2013-14 season when leading entering the fourth quarter. #WeTheNorth

#WeTheFourth?

No?

I'll go home now.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
rapsvscavs-web_1.jpg

Jay Satur - Raptors.com

The Raptors return to Air Canada Centre after a 2-1 Western Conference road trip for another look at the surging Cleveland Cavaliers (7 PM, TSN, Sportsnet 590 The FAN).

Tonight's game is also a part of the The Giant of Africa presented by Bell, a celebration of the late former South African President and Nobel Peace Prize winner Nelson Mandela, who died one year ago today. Many special guests will be in attendance at Air Canada Centre tonight to honour Mandela, as well as, support the Nelson Mandela Foundation and Ujiri’s not-for-profit organization, Giants of Africa.

Projected Starting Lineups

Raptors: Kyle Lowry (G), Greivis Vasquez (G), Terrence Ross (F), Amir Johnson (F), Jonas
Valanciunas (C)
raptors_gvcollage.jpg

Cavaliers: Kyrie Irving (G), Shawn Marion (G), LeBron James (F), Kevin Love (F), Anderson Varejao (C)
cavs_collage.jpg

Injury/Roster Report

Raptors: DeMar DeRozan - Torn left adductor longus tendon (out)

Cavaliers: Matthew Dellavedova - left knee MCL sprain (out)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Westbrook can dominate a game though. He's a complete player, great defensively (I take Lowry over him)

The chucker narrative is over done.
He shoots as much as any score first pg in the League, and is the best at it next to Curry. And it's not like he neglects to find his teammates, he always averages more assists than Lowry (Lowry has less Turnovers).

The chucker narrative is a myth. Anyone who doubts this should have a look at the numbers. Westbrook scores more points yet has a higher FG%. This year the FG% is close but Westy blows him away historically. If anything, Lowry checked way too much when he first arrived (he has gotten much much better).

Westbrook is a superstar. I love Lowry more than words can express but saying he's better than Westy is just homerism. I doubt you would find one person who is not a Raptor fan who thinks Lowry>Westbrook. Lowry is fantastic though. Before he came to Toronto nobody would dream of comparing him to Westbrook.

The fact is, the NBA is super deep at the PG position. Chris Paul, Westbrook and Curry are the best of the best. You could make a case for Lowry being #4 (and I'd be happy to make that case :) ) but that case could be made for a number of players. Even the 15th best PG in the NBA is a very good player, I don't think the NBA has ever had so many good PG's.

But yeah I love Lowry, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna be disrespectful of Westbrook who just an absolutely amazing player. As of right now, Westbrook is close to a lock for the HOF. Lowry is just getting started establishing himself as an elite player.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
This team is very smart, they know that the Cavs will be looking for revenge. They will be more than ready. I think that Cleveland should feel like they are the ones that are in tough.

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hoping the Raps win this one but wouldn't be surprised if they lose. Cav's seem to be turning it around and when you're playing at team that good and missing an All-Star it's going to be tough.

Lowry is going to have to go off like he did in Utah for them to have a chance.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Hoping the Raps win this one but wouldn't be surprised if they lose. Cav's seem to be turning it around and when you're playing at team that good and missing an All-Star it's going to be tough.

Lowry is going to have to go off like he did in Utah for them to have a chance.

Disagree. They just have to play their (team oriented) game. Lowry trying to do more than his share will only hurt the team. The way the Raps are built (very deep with a balanced offence) makes losing Derozan no such a big blow as what he provides is basically bulk scoring. Losing Lowry would be a much bigger blow IMO.

Cleveland is playing much better, should be a tough game but the bookmakers have made the Raps a 4 points favorite I believe. Basically that means that they rate the teams about even and we are favored because we're at home. Seems reasonable and it says a lot for this team that we are considered about equal to Cleveland when we're missing our top scorer. Should be an interesting game. :yo:

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
They'll need to move the ball well and keep the foot on the gas on defence to be able to win this one. I fully expect Toronto to lose though tbh.

I love the raptors, and they're getting better. But they still haven't looked all that good against playoff teams, and a good chunk of the games they've won against playoff teams came when they were missing key players to injury.

Right now my order of power in the East....
Tier 1 Cleveland/Chicago
Tier 2 Toronto/Washington/Miamia (If healthy)

The raps still need a big/movile #4, who can play lockdown defence and on the offence get the ball in the paint and kick it out and move out of the way. Would be perfect.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
They'll need to move the ball well and keep the foot on the gas on defence to be able to win this one. I fully expect Toronto to lose though tbh.

I love the raptors, and they're getting better. But they still haven't looked all that good against playoff teams, and a good chunk of the games they've won against playoff teams came when they were missing key players to injury.

Right now my order of power in the East....
Tier 1 Cleveland/Chicago
Tier 2 Toronto/Washington/Miamia (If healthy)

The raps still need a big/movile #4, who can play lockdown defence and on the offence get the ball in the paint and kick it out and move out of the way. Would be perfect.

Cleveland has not proven anything, while the Raptors have a top 3 record in the NBA since the Rudy Gay trade and they are in tier 2 and Cleveland is in tier 1? Cleveland is trying to get to our level, not the other way around. The team is 11 games over .500. You're not going to win every game against other playoff teams, that's why they are playoff teams.

Last edited:

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Pretty much what I'm saying.

Current Raptors + J. Noah = Elite.
Of course with Noah they're elite.

I love this team and I love Casey as a coach, but he frustrates me with the way he handles JV. As you said, this team is really only missing a real good big man in the middle to become elite. We have a young, big, tough, skilled big man with crazy potential yet he NEVER gets minutes when it matters. EVEN WHEN he is having a great game, his minutes are cut short and he ends up with ~23 minutes. I do not understand this and I truly think it's slowing down his development.

Give the kid starting minutes and let him learn/flourish. He's still raw and needs to learn how to finish, and he won't develop by getting benched (even when he's having a good game) when the game is tight.

If JV becomes what we all expect him to become, the Raps are elite. No need to dream about that much needed big man, we HAVE one. Just need to let him grow into his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad