Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
If Tanev is out for a few days the Nucks need a 7th healthy body. Comets still had 7 with Bobby Sangs.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Happy for Biega. This is why you call guys up and give them a look instead of sitting them in the pressbox for like a month. :laugh:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Alex Biega article in out local paper.

http://m.uticaod.com/article/20150217/SPORTS/150219308/2000/NEWS

Biega's big night makes Green proud
John Pitarresi
Posted Feb. 17, 2015 @ 10:38 pm

He spent four years playing hockey at Harvard University, where teamed up with two of his brothers and was a captain and most valuable player.

Then he played four and half seasons and 328 games in the American Hockey League, enduring a puck to the face that ended his 2013-14 season a bit early, and a skate cut across his nose and eyebrow that needed 27 stitches and cost him a couple of games last month.

Alex Biega, 26, paid his dues for an opportunity to play in the National Hockey League. Monday he made the most of it. The Utica Comets defenseman scored the game winning goal in the third period of the parent Vancouver Canucks’ 3-2 win over the Minnesota Wild.

Biega didn’t arrive in Vancouver till 6 a.m. Monday and didn’t know he was going to play until 4 p.m. His hot shot one-timer from the right point beat Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk, and, after a moment where he appeared just a bit stunned, he broke into a wide smile and jumped into the arms of blue line partner Luca Sbisa.

Comets coach Travis Green was watching the game.
“I nearly jumped out of my chair,†he said.
Green was very happy for Biega, a small defenseman at 5-foot-10 – maybe - and 187 pounds, but a powerful skater with a big shot.
“He’s worked hard for it,†said Green, who spoke to Biega after the game. “To see him get the game winning goal, it was great. … It reminds you of why you are here. … Alex works really hard and he’s a good leader for our team.

Everybody dreams of playing in the NHL. Sometimes you have to persevere to get a chance. When a guy has to wait five years …â€
The Canucks have slew of injuries on defense – Frankie Corrado, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler and Chris Tanev – and are now on a five-game Eastern road trip, and it is unknown how long Biega will remain with the big club. For the time being, he’s happy as can be.

IwanttomoveoutWest*

Saw Green tonight at Chipotle.

I said hopefully Biega doesn't score the GWG against the Rangers (wearing my Lundqvist).

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
On pace for 20 goals in his second AHL season, and only 21 years old. I guess busts are starting early this year?

He is in his third pro season. He played in the SEL and then the AHL in the same year. He will be 22 in about 17 days. Also he is not on pace for 20 goals. His play has got worse as the season has gone on. He should be one of the go to offensive guys but he isn't. He also has a team worse plus/minus. Jensen started off the season pretty good but since then there have been no positives. I think he has like 4 or 5 goals since November.

I think it's a little early to call him a bust. I can see the argument for it if someone were to call him a bust.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Alex Biega article in out local paper.

http://m.uticaod.com/article/20150217/SPORTS/150219308/2000/NEWS

Biega's big night makes Green proud
John Pitarresi
Posted Feb. 17, 2015 @ 10:38 pm

He spent four years playing hockey at Harvard University, where teamed up with two of his brothers and was a captain and most valuable player.

Then he played four and half seasons and 328 games in the American Hockey League, enduring a puck to the face that ended his 2013-14 season a bit early, and a skate cut across his nose and eyebrow that needed 27 stitches and cost him a couple of games last month.

Alex Biega, 26, paid his dues for an opportunity to play in the National Hockey League. Monday he made the most of it. The Utica Comets defenseman scored the game winning goal in the third period of the parent Vancouver Canucks’ 3-2 win over the Minnesota Wild.

Biega didn’t arrive in Vancouver till 6 a.m. Monday and didn’t know he was going to play until 4 p.m. His hot shot one-timer from the right point beat Wild goalie Devan Dubnyk, and, after a moment where he appeared just a bit stunned, he broke into a wide smile and jumped into the arms of blue line partner Luca Sbisa.

Comets coach Travis Green was watching the game.
“I nearly jumped out of my chair,†he said.
Green was very happy for Biega, a small defenseman at 5-foot-10 – maybe - and 187 pounds, but a powerful skater with a big shot.
“He’s worked hard for it,†said Green, who spoke to Biega after the game. “To see him get the game winning goal, it was great. … It reminds you of why you are here. … Alex works really hard and he’s a good leader for our team.

Everybody dreams of playing in the NHL. Sometimes you have to persevere to get a chance. When a guy has to wait five years …â€
The Canucks have slew of injuries on defense – Frankie Corrado, Kevin Bieksa, Alex Edler and Chris Tanev – and are now on a five-game Eastern road trip, and it is unknown how long Biega will remain with the big club. For the time being, he’s happy as can be.

Awesome story...even us short guys have a chance :)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Jeremie Blain returns to the ‪#‎Comets‬.

Release: http://www.uticacomets.com/?p=4836

Probably a pretty safe bet that the next announcement is that Bobby Sanguinetti has been called up to Vancouver.

There has been a lot of shoddy defensive play over the last few games. it was once the stalwart of the team. Maybe Green just wants to make some people a little more responsible and less comfortable. I'd like to believe the real reason is to permanently place Negrin in the catacombs.

cometshockey

Oct 26, 2014
I had assumed Utica was solidly Sabres' territory -- what is the split with Ranger fans? (Of course as the crow flies, your closest NHL city is right here in Ottawa).

i think the rangers will be the most followed team, devils, islanders, sabres and bruins would be in the mix for 2nd spot

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Comets are back in Utica to take on the Calder Cup champions Texas Stars. Bobby Sanguinetti scored 37 seconds in - from Acton and DeFazio - but the Stars just scored so it's tied 1-1 with just under 6 minutes to go in the 1st.

Comets going to the PK.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Jensen draws a penalty on a rush up the left wing. Good on him for continuing to bust forward while being slashed and hacked.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
The Comets connect on the PP as Jeffrey bangs home a rebound! Just over a minute left in the 1st. Sanguinetti and O'Reilly get the assists. Those 3 guys seem to be the core of the team as the season moves forward, outside of the goaltenders of course.

2-1 Comets.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
17 seconds into the 2nd - Archibald forces the puck to the front of the net and tries to bang it in, can't but DeFazio comes in and finishes the job.

3-1 Comets.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Pretty uneventful period so far since the goal. The Stars haven't had many chances on Markstrom at all. Shots are 12-9 Comets.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Nothin doin on that PP but the Stars take another penalty and the Comets will go right back on the man advantage.

Grenier hits the post!

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Gaunce scores his 8th! Bit of a weird goal, as the puck was knocked off Shinkaruk's stick, but Gaunce managed to grab a hold of it and get off a quick shot.

4-1 Comets, and they're going to another PP. The Stars seem to be coming unglued here.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Sanguinetti has been double shifting on the PP. Hell of a player.

Bah, Shinkaruk has a glorious chance but whiffs and then shoots wide.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Thanks for all of the updates.
Appreciate it!

Not a problem. As I've said before, I just listen to the radio so unfortunately there's not much substance to the updates but that's what orcatown's/Bad Goalie's post game reports are for I guess, along with all the other Utica fans' reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad