Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

Hey guys, long time no talk.

Really happy about the Utican All Stars.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Looks like the western movement is a go... Word is Norfolk to be sold to the ducks.......

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Sanguinetti deserves to play an NHL game

Hell, any of the D we've called up deserve to play. Particularly interested to see what Biega and Sanguinetti can do but WD doesn't seem like he'll give them a look if he can help it.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
I wouldnt worry about getting a new AHL team. We literally have the AHL dream team. Great team, great fanbase, community, literally everything about Utica is awesome. We would be fools to relocate. Although we are in contract with them for a few more years I believe. So that's great.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
abbotsford is by far and away the best location in the long term, though i dont think theres any practical difference from a team perspective if they move it next year or five years from now

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
abbotsford is by far and away the best location in the long term, though i dont think theres any practical difference from a team perspective if they move it next year or five years from now

Not really... It subjects our prospects to a huge amount of travel since there are very few franchises even remotely close to Abbotsford. You can call up players easily enough, sure, but that's not a huge advantage. We'd have a good fan base here too to watch our prospects, but we already have that in Utica. I don't really see what the point of moving would be.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Not really... It subjects our prospects to a huge amount of travel since there are very few franchises even remotely close to Abbotsford. You can call up players easily enough, sure, but that's not a huge advantage. We'd have a good fan base here too to watch our prospects, but we already have that in Utica. I don't really see what the point of moving would be.

proximity to the big club. travel is travel. everyone will have to deal with it.

having prospects go through it in the ahl only means the transition to the nhl will be less jarring

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
proximity to the big club. travel is travel. everyone will have to deal with it.

having prospects go through it in the ahl only means the transition to the nhl will be less jarring

Travel in the AHL means less practice and development time. That far outweighs getting used to the western schedule.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Travel in the AHL means less practice and development time. That far outweighs getting used to the western schedule.

This. Although we will see what happens if they do get a western league going. Would love no matter what if Utica keeps a team. They have been great.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

for proximity but not practically. Costs a lot more to run a team out of the west.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

What does proximity to the big club offer?

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
What does proximity to the big club offer?

Pros:
4 hours less travel time to get to team

Cons:
everything else, because that's the only pro.

Utica seems great. Unless Canucks management believes they can get a lot of money out of a franchise here, I do not understand moving here.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Utica is great to me but if they sell it off for one out west I hope the fans get a good replacement.

We'll see I guess, love all the Utica fans though. :nod:

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
And even that's only when the Canucks aren't playing road games at places closer to Utica than to Abbotaford.

And only if Abbotsford isn't across the continent. In 13-14 for instance, Abbotsford was only on the west coast for 23 of Calgary's 41 home games.

All in all, the Flames were only close to Abbotsford while the Heat were in town for 27 of their 82 games (23 home games and 4 games in Vancouver and Edmonton). The other 55 games either the Flames or the Heat were on the road. That's really not many more games than the Canucks play within a similar proximity to Utica in a given season.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Pros:
4 hours less travel time to get to team

Cons:
everything else, because that's the only pro.

Utica seems great. Unless Canucks management believes they can get a lot of money out of a franchise here, I do not understand moving here.

we actually get to watch it which is kind of the point of the sport: enjoy being a fan

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
With the pending shift of many AHL teams out west one can only assume that Vancouver will do the same. The question is when and where. The popular notion is Abbotsford or even possibly Vancouver. If so, travel is an issue since all of the other teams appear to be destined for central and southern California so your closest rival will be about 1,000 miles away compared to 50 like it is currently in Utica.

Yes, there are advantages to having your farm team next door but there are disadvantages to having your rivals so far away. The AHL is primarily a bus league and I doubt the baby Canucks will have the luxury of chartered flights like the parent team does. When AHL teams do fly it is most always commercial airlines dealing with the same travel mess in airports as the general public. This is why Calgary apparently will move to Stockton, CA and Edmonton to Bakersfield, CA and not place their farm teams in Alberta.

So the Canucks will have to make a decision whether to place their farm team in BC which will make the local fans happy or somewhere in California for more practical reasons. If they do elect to place the team in BC to keep travel expenses lower you will likely see extended road trips where you fly into Stockton for example and then bus around and play the rest of the California teams and then fly home and play 5 or 6 games in a row. You can bet the most of the 76 game schedule will be played within the 5 or 6 team division so that the travel cost does not sky rocket for the rest of the league. The same extended road trip will repeat over and over again all season long which isn't the best scenario for practice time and development.

Yes on the surface it sounds great to have your prospects in Abbotsford or even Vancouver for a quick call up but think about it. How may times in the the past year and a half did the Canucks play shorthanded because they couldn't get a guy in from Utica? The only time that I can think off was last year when Luongo couldn't play in Anaheim and the Canucks had to dress an emergency back up goalie. Since teams only carry two goalies that can happen to any team if a goalie becomes ill or tweaks something just before game time. I think the problem of having your farm team far away is more perception than reality.

Realistically the best location for a Vancouver farm team is probably somewhere in the middle of the new California teams once the AHL Pacific Division is formed. It is the best compromise between easier west coast call ups and reasonable travel times for the team and better practice opportunities. But this doesn't solve desire of some Canucks fans to have the AHL team in their backyard and will they see the same type of support in California that they currently have in Utica?

g30e220000000000000d4361aec11d5ddf18f77ad10e225bfc1308132a0.jpg

Last edited:

arsmaster*

And only if Abbotsford isn't across the continent. In 13-14 for instance, Abbotsford was only on the west coast for 23 of Calgary's 41 home games.

All in all, the Flames were only close to Abbotsford while the Heat were in town for 27 of their 82 games (23 home games and 4 games in Vancouver and Edmonton). The other 55 games either the Flames or the Heat were on the road. That's really not many more games than the Canucks play within a similar proximity to Utica in a given season.

Thanks for posting this.

Only half or each teams schedule is at home. It's just as likely you on an eastern road trip and the farm team is west.

I don't see the AHL being attended as much as people think in the Fraser valley. Even with Canuck prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad