Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Dumont seals it for the Bulldogs with an empty net goal.

7-5 Bulldogs.

No different than shooting on Eriksson anyway. It's insane that he keeps getting as many starts as he does. They should be playing Markstrom 75% of the time to see how he holds up. His SV% is 20+ percentage points higher fer cryin' out loud.

Clinton Comets EHL

Feb 18, 2014
Yikes! Again, Hamilton answers on the shift after a Comets goal and regains the 2 goal lead. Bobby Shea, another ECHL'er, gets the goal. The previous scorer for the Bulldogs, Sahir Gill, is also an ECHL call-up.

4-2 Bulldogs.

Recurring theme. if it isn't a last minute of the period goal, it's the come back on next shift or within 2 minutes for other team goal.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Safe to say Hunter is busting hard so far.

Not yet. Jensen's looking like it though, unless he truly is one of those players who just come alive in the NHL. Benning seems to think he's ready to play but there isn't a spot for him. I'll trust him for now, but if he gets a good shot in the NHL and fails to deliver then I'll have completely lost hope.

Shinkaruk I'm still disappointed in this year, but I'm already looking to next season to really judge him.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Jensen seems like a bit of a head case. Confidence is everything with him, and it's tanking hard right now.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Hunter Shinkaruk is in his first year pro and coming back from injury. He is far away from being a bust. I would go as far as he has a shot at making the lineup as soon as next year. He is a Medicine Hat Tiger after all.

I think he seriously needs one or maybe two offseason to makeup for lost time. I don't see any reason to rush him. Hopefully having Cassels in the AHL next season will help him out, we really need more good center prospects in the system.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Jensen seems like a bit of a head case. Confidence is everything with him, and it's tanking hard right now.

Probably thinking that if he doesn't score, he is not going to make the lineup and with every shot he misses/goals he doesn't score, the pressure increases because he feels like the door is closing in on him. He needs to realize that he needs to concentrate on playing well, not concentrate on just scoring.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Safe to say Hunter is busting hard so far.

Been a disappointment so far. Expected a slow start but the season is well over half over and he still isn't producing. However, calling him a bust is too much of a stretch. If he continues this play into next season then it would be a label that fits.

Jensen is the guy that you can call a bust. 3 seasons of pro and hasn't done much.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
No different than shooting on Eriksson anyway. It's insane that he keeps getting as many starts as he does. They should be playing Markstrom 75% of the time to see how he holds up. His SV% is 20+ percentage points higher fer cryin' out loud.

They currently are playing Markstrom in about 75% of the starts. It may not look that way by just looking at the stats because Markstrom was out over a month with a broken finger. Since coming back Marky is on about a 3 out of 4 sequence.

Jokie played well early in the year when the two goalies were alternating starts and played well when Markstrom was hurt. He has not played well with limited starts as a backup.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
So proud of the job the Comets are doing. Although the numbers don't always look impressive, the players they're sending up to Vancouver do nothing but succeed. Can't say enough about the Comets organization and the job they're doing developing players.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Been a disappointment so far. Expected a slow start but the season is well over half over and he still isn't producing. However, calling him a bust is too much of a stretch. If he continues this play into next season then it would be a label that fits.

Jensen is the guy that you can call a bust. 3 seasons of pro and hasn't done much.

On pace for 20 goals in his second AHL season, and only 21 years old. I guess busts are starting early this year?

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
20 goals is a meaningless descriptor. 20 goals and a thousand assists is great and 20 goals and 0 assist in a season is a third liner at best

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Game emphasize the present need for the Comets to get great goal tending. If the the team gets the kind of mediocre to sub-par goal tending they got from Eriksson today, then they have little chance. Right now, the team is making too many lousy defensive plays and turnovers and is relying too much on great goal tending. Play of Hamilton goalie Condon was luckily terrible so Comets were able to hang around.

Team simply couldn't handle Andrighetto or Hudon. In particular the pairing or Ehrhardt and LaFranchise were brutal and were abused by the Hudon line. Andrighetto looks like an excellent prospect.

Thought Huskins, Sanguineti and Andersson were sound but the rest of the defense was poor.

Better game for O'Reilly and Jeffrey offensively but also guilty of some poor play in their own end as where most of the forwards. Archibald also had some good moments. Rest of the forwards contributed little. Jensen again did virtually nothing and Shinkaruk continues to be unable to take advantage of chances to create scoring. Made a real gaffe on one goal when he let the defenseman walk pass him when his head was turned. Player got wide open and drilled in a centering pass. Cannot like the way things are developing for either Shinkaruk or Jensen. Only forward prospect looking half decent is Gaunce.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Feel like I've read this 10 times over the past 6 months.

Really bummed, how many more games does Utica have before the playoffs

I'm sure nobody feels worse about the way things are going than Hunter......guy is a relentless worker in practice and dedicated to improving....unfortunately I think he may not be physically ready for the AHL.....might have been better served back in junior, particularly since he missed an entire season last year. :(

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I'm sure nobody feels worse about the way things are going than Hunter......guy is a relentless worker in practice and dedicated to improving....unfortunately I think he may not be physically ready for the AHL.....might have been better served back in junior, particularly since he missed an entire season last year. :(

Well that's encouraging if he's just getting pushed around out there.

He's only just 20 if not still 19, and with that ethic I am sure when he gains 10 lbs he's gonna make the doubters burn.

I wish someone told him there's no rush and to just practice, I don't know if he looks frustrated out there or not but there's no reason he should be just stop squeezing your stick and have fun

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
On pace for 20 goals in his second AHL season, and only 21 years old. I guess busts are starting early this year?

Wondering if Jensen might be one of those guys who just seems to play better at the NHL level than in the 'A?.....he's always shown flashes of decent offensive skill whenever he's been in the 'Nucks lineup......NHL game more structured and sometimes easier to play....look at Kenins.....was an 'in-and-outer' at Utica, but seems to be taking his game to the next level now....still thinking the early tribulations for Gaunce/Shinkaruk in Utica might make them better players in the long-run....and while we're at, how about the job Travis Green is doing is preparing depth players for the 'Nucks!.....every guy coming up making an impact....wish Markstrom and Sanguinetti were already in VanCity. :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad