USMNT Thread Part VIII

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am still deeply concerned about the Centerbacks on this team. They do not have enough pace. Really the position as a whole is probably my biggest worry right now with the national team, but in particular with what I have seen from the Olympic qualifier team. Hopefully they can hold it together for a couple more games, but I was kind of disturbed by what they looked like against the pace and over the top balls for parts of last night.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Yeah I'd agree. Glad and Kessler, along with their lack of pace, appear to be woeful in their distribution out of the back. To be fair to them they probably aren't the first choice centerbacks on this team, which would probably be Mark McKenzie and Miles Robinson.

I do think Chris Richards could be a keeper because he's looked really good for Hoffenheim since he moved.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
Even without the goal Dest was the best player in the first half. Other attacking players did well but none making that great final pass/shot. Musah and Acosta have been very active in midfield.

Sep 19, 2008
US will play Honduras on Sunday with a spot at the Olympics at stake. Honestly I feel like the U23s could use Olympic experience so rooting hard for a win Sunday.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Acosta played okay in the first half against Jamaica and had a terrible 2nd half and its continued into this game. Would like to Otasowie get some minutes in this half.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Acosta played okay in the first half against Jamaica and had a terrible 2nd half and its continued into this game. Would like to Otasowie get some minutes in this half.

I'm not anti-MLS players, but there doesn't seem to be any sensible reason within these decisions to give games to players like Acosta and Lletget. These are not stars in MLS. These are above-average MLS'ers, but not the first names you'd pick out as the best American MLS'ers at their position. To be fair to these players, it's not only these players or only MLS players. There are other players that Berhalter seems to like personally or think have added intangible value that doesn't show in their play on the field.

We cannot maximize our potential until these 3-4 players who see the field every game stop getting called into the National Team. We may be missing those 3-4 players in our lineup, which is why these 3-4 players fill in, but I think we'd all rather see young players with potential over Acosta and Lletget. Today would've been a great game to play Owen Otasowie. Instead, Kellyn Acosta needed to play.

Reactions: kingsboy11
Sep 19, 2008
Honduras scored late in the 1st in stoppage time. They lead 1-0 in a critical semifinal. Again, US has to win to qualify.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Consistently overrated program. With players who aren’t even as good as they were 10-20 years ago, when there was barely any program.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Didn't deserve to win. Showed they couldn't score goals against decent teams in the group stage and it caught up to them. f***ing sick of laying eggs in these competitions

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Nothing about this program is good enough from top to bottom: leadership(or lack thereof), coaching (jobs for the boys!!!), and players selected.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Conceding the fact that they're overrated, I'll make two arguments.

One, this squad wasn't made up of the top talents (and those who are good are not in season form... playing for MLS sides where they haven't even really started any matches). Secondly, coaching / selection was arrogant with this squad, and it blew up in their face. Kreis is meh.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Well look at Honduras team, where those players play, how poor their country is, and how many people live there. The only countries more poor in this hemisphere are Nicaragua and Haiti. There's no excuse whatsoever.

I will repeat the same thing I said in the other thread. This can't and won't be a top team because everyone in this country is too focused on what these players physically bring to the table. They don't spend enough time teaching technique.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The Honduras teams have done well in youth competitions, I wouldn't sell them short.

I think ultimately what caused this debacle was team selection and lack of games leading up to the tournament. If you look at what the roster was supposed to look like last year before Covid hit, I think they would wipe the floor with what we ended up getting this year.

GKFreese, MattPhiladelphia Union
GKMarcinkowski, JTSan Jose Earthquakes
GKOchoa, DavidReal Salt Lake
DCannon, ReggieFC Dallas
DGlad, JustenReal Salt Lake
DGloster, ChrisPSV Eindhoven
DHerrera, AaronReal Salt Lake
DMcKenzie, MarkPhiladelphia Union
DPalmer-Brown, ErikAustria Wien
MAaronson, BrendenPhiladelphia Union
MDotson, HassaniMinnesota United FC
MLedezma, RichardPSV Eindhoven
MMihailovic, DjordjeChicago Fire FC
MPomykal, PaxtonFC Dallas
MYueill, JacksonSan Jose Earthquakes
FEbobisse, JeremyPortland Timbers
FFerreira, JesusFC Dallas
FLewis, JonathanColorado Rapids
FLlanez, UlyssesVfL Wolfsburg
FSaucedo, SebastianPumas UNAM
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Now you do have other factors with guys dealing with injuries like Pomykal, Ledezma and Llanez and then you have guys who went to Europe like Aaronson, McKenzie and Cannon. That being said, the roster was still good enough to beat Honduras and they just weren't up to the task. Yueill looked like the only player who wanted to win after we got down yesterday.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
They should've qualified, but I'm not sure what can be expected out of a group of players that almost entirely will not be USMNT players.

The players in that age group that will play for the USMNT were on the roster for the USMNT, not the U23's. And then of the Europe based ones who weren't on the USMNT roster, they weren't released for U23 qualifiers. A few of the better MLS players weren't there either because their club teams didn't want to release them.

It wasn't a good team. They probably should've qualified based on club pedigree and career accomplishments to this point compared to their competition, but when you start having a good crop of players you run into this problem where you play qualifiers for youth tournaments with nowhere close to your best players, and then you see that the 3rd string team has no cohesion, have holes in major parts of the squad, and then aren't as good when they are tasked with major roles compared to being a role player.

I'm not suggesting its good we didn't qualify, but its good that our best players weren't available for qualification. For many years our best U23 players would always be available. Now they aren't. That they aren't available is more important towards the USMNT eventual success than the 3rd string not having an Olympics to play in.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Well look at Honduras team, where those players play, how poor their country is, and how many people live there. The only countries more poor in this hemisphere are Nicaragua and Haiti. There's no excuse whatsoever.

I agree there's no excuse to not qualify, but you are selling Honduras short. They finished 4th at the last Olympics. They often qualify for the World Cup or come very close. They aren't Malta or Faroe Islands. If they played in Europe or South America, they aren't rolling over for France or Argentina 7-0 with regularity.

It's naive to believe we can send out a bunch of players who are not anywhere near our best players against a country that is respectable opposition, and roll them over. That just doesn't happen in international football. Even with the best players qualification is often hard. People make fun of terms like CONCACAF'ed, but CONCACAF is not an easy federation to play in. It's not because the teams are so talented, its because the pitch conditions are terrible, the games are played in 90-100 degree heat, the referees are not very good, and because these Latin American teams are masters of the dark arts, and know how to frustrate the opponent.

I'm not even saying you're wrong about the players we put out there compared to their players, and the size/wealth of the countries, but I feel like this type of mindset gets us into predicaments where we should beat these teams easily on paper, and then we don't. I'm all for general optimism about American soccer, but I feel like too many people expected too much in this Olympic Qualification campaign. It was always going to be hard. There was always going to be a chance we lose by a goal in the important game in circumstances like we did. It might happen the next time. I'm not sure thats reason for alarm though.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The US isn’t deep enough to send 3rd or 4th (or even worse) choice guys, many out of shape or match fitness and hope to qualify against anyone.

they’re just not good enough of a program at this stage.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Have any of you American fans been following the feud between TT and Altidore? I don't know much about TT since I'm in Canada, do fans like his analysis?

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I like Twellman fine, more than other USMNT analysts. I know he's not everyone cup of tea, but for the most part I think he's fair about the criticism and praise of the team. I don't know what Twellman did that Jozy got all upset other than probably not having him on his best USMNT starting 11 right now

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Have any of you American fans been following the feud between TT and Altidore? I don't know much about TT since I'm in Canada, do fans like his analysis?

I like Twellman. It’s Lalas that sucks. Jozy needs to get over it. This tweet made me lose so much respect for Jozy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad