USMNT Part X - Qatar Bound - Group B (England, Iran, Wales)

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
A reminder that Austin FC had Sebastian Berhalter on loan from Columbus in 2021. Austin declined to extend, and the Crew eventually traded the young Berhalter to Vancouver.

Might be more than one layer here.

So the theory is that GB benched Gio because Austin didn't extend. I don't follow MLS enough to know whether that "snub" in on the same level as the USMNT not playing one of their most talented players, but I'm guessing it's not. Makes GB look like an even bigger shit-bag though.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
So the theory is that GB benched Gio because Austin didn't extend. I don't follow MLS enough to know whether that "snub" in on the same level as the USMNT not playing one of their most talented players, but I'm guessing it's not. Makes GB look like an even bigger shit-bag though.

No shot that is the case. Claudio did young Berhalter a favor. He got way more minutes in Vancouver than he would have in Austin.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
What on earth is currently going on with the USMNT. Seems like the place is burning to the ground!

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
This is all a big nothing the second they announce they are not moving forward with Gregg for the next cycle. Which is hopefully within the next week or so.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
This is all a big nothing the second they announce they are not moving forward with Gregg for the next cycle. Which is hopefully within the next week or so.
I think he gets resigned. I can't see who else would be interested in the role that would be a step up other than Jim Curtin.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think he gets resigned. I can't see who else would be interested in the role that would be a step up other than Jim Curtin.
I think this is likely as well. I'm doubtful he sees us through to 2026 as it sounded like he wanted to return to club level, but I'd think the next year and possibly up through Copa America, then transition off to someone else for WC.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
What the Reyna's did is probably way more harmful than what they realize. These next few years before the World Cup are essential especially if we host Copa America.

Any future replacements for Berhalter are probably no longer interested in the job anymore. I think most outside candidates probably saw Gio as possible incentive for the job, but now that his parents have shown their true colors it might have cost US Soccer a bunch of outside interest. Now US Soccer is most likely going to have to hire from within or stick with Berhalter and I think most of us are in agreement he shouldn't be the guy moving forward, but US Soccer may not have much of a choice.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Anyway the ESPN article has been edited. Claudio no longer mentioned in it the same way..
If you read it when it first came out should "reread" it.. it's almost like reading a different story.
Seems like someone wanted a PoV out and didn't care about the truth.. the new version is much more like the Athletic.

anyway I expect US Soccer to Rehire GGG. And I think that was their plan all along..

Last edited:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

I can see them continuing with an internal interim guy until the summer where more options will become available. That interim could be Gregg too.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think the plan was always for Gregg to stay, but this stuff is greasy as hell.

He's a clown, but he's cheap, and got the Fed to where they wanted to be (knockouts and qualifying is the only expectation to be honest).

It's not like they are gonna bring in anyone better if they were going to go another direction.

it's all just a complete shit show. FIFA might be completely corrupt, but US Soccer is completely incompetent. None of them are that talented or good enough for all this drama. Even Gio, as good as he is, is not good enough to be wasting this much time on. Could he be? Sure... he's one of the most talented players in this cycle, and with luck (health and playing time is the issue) he could be a very good international level player. But he's not worth drama.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note, one other thing that makes me even more mad is the Pepi stuff.

You recruit, sell him on switching to the US, and then you leave him? the whole hanging up on Gregg, I don't blame. But his squad choices were pretty shit. Pepi likely would have been on the Mexican roster.

It's all a complete clown show.

Reactions: JPBolts

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Note, one other thing that makes me even more mad is the Pepi stuff.

You recruit, sell him on switching to the US, and then you leave him? the whole hanging up on Gregg, I don't blame. But his squad choices were pretty shit. Pepi likely would have been on the Mexican roster.

It's all a complete clown show.
I don't have a huge issue with the Pepi snub. He had one great game during qualifying and then several invisible performances. He was also disappointing in his move to an Augsburg where anyone showing any kind of offensive spark would have been able to secure regular minutes--while his loan has worked out, I think he also would have developed under Maaßen and had the potential to do well with the current crop of Berisha, Demirovic, Niederlechner, Vargas, etc... While his play with Groningen has been great, I'm suspecting they had already decided to shift directions with the strikers prior to that developing. He's very young and will absolutely play a role going forward if he keeps it up.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
A reminder that Austin FC had Sebastian Berhalter on loan from Columbus in 2021. Austin declined to extend, and the Crew eventually traded the young Berhalter to Vancouver.

Might be more than one layer here.
just checked because why not lol... Sebastian & Gio had followed & liked each other Instagram posts up until like November and they no longer follow each other... yikes

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I get that, but you bring Haji? Some of the other choices are also weird.

I don't get it. I think you gotta be loyal to the guys who got you in some ways.
Wright is a slightly more mature, more finished project with a little bit more of a track record at a "top" level, I guess? Pulisic and McKennie have familiarity (and I guess thought process was chemistry) with him as well. I assumed the final striker choice came down between Wright, Pepi, and Pefok as the "alternative" option--Sargent and Ferreira both filling the role of strikers that will press and drop back deeper into the defensive side. I probably would have selected one of the other two, as I wasn't impressed with Wright in any of his (limited) appearances up to that point, but I wouldn't have been fussed had any of the three been selected.

Based on Pepi hanging up on Berhalter when informed he wasn't selected, it also smacks of some of the same immaturity issues as Reyna. Hey, I get it, these kids are 18, 19, 20...etc... and I doubt many of us always reacted well to emotional moments, and people will overlook stuff because they hate GGG, but some of this wouldn't fly with an established international coach of any pedigree.

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I think you undersell the attractiveness of the USMNT job. Young team with a lot of talent that has a guaranteed 2026 slot.

Any future replacements for Berhalter are probably no longer interested in the job anymore. I think most outside candidates probably saw Gio as possible incentive for the job, but now that his parents have shown their true colors it might have cost US Soccer a bunch of outside interest. Now US Soccer is most likely going to have to hire from within or stick with Berhalter and I think most of us are in agreement he shouldn't be the guy moving forward, but US Soccer may not have much of a choice.
I mean, if you're basing your interest in a job on one player's parents,m then you weren't that interested to begin with, setting aside the fact that an outsider wouldn't have the same connections to the Reynas that led to the conflict.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I think you undersell the attractiveness of the USMNT job. Young team with a lot of talent that has a guaranteed 2026 slot.

I mean, if you're basing your interest in a job on one player's parents,m then you weren't that interested to begin with, setting aside the fact that an outsider wouldn't have the same connections to the Reynas that led to the conflict.

Oh it's a really attractive job. But it's attractive to people with something to prove, or someone hoping for a bigger job down the road. Not someone looking for a lengthy window.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Oh it's a really attractive job. But it's attractive to people with something to prove, or someone hoping for a bigger job down the road. Not someone looking for a lengthy window.
I mean expecting a lengthy window from any NT manager is asking for trouble. I think you basically expect to replace them every cycle.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean expecting a lengthy window from any NT manager is asking for trouble. I think you basically expect to replace them every cycle.
Do you?

I think some of the more successful managers in recent past have been longer term appointments. Low with Germany, Deschamps has been with France since 2012, Del Bosque for Spain when they were at the peak. Heck, Scaloni has been there since 2018. Dalic of Croatia since 2017. Sure, you could argue these guys are successful, so therefore they get to stay with the spot. But I think you're seeing the more successful national sides stick with a guy when it works. Even everyone's favorite mug Southgate has been in charge since 2016.

I think it's an interesting argument. But... realistically, I think you're hoping to get 5-8 years out of a manager. Let them bring a group through, see where it goes. Gregg certainly hopes to get that much time to put his stamp on the program.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Do you?

I think some of the more successful managers in recent past have been longer term appointments. Low with Germany, Deschamps has been with France since 2012, Del Bosque for Spain when they were at the peak. Heck, Scaloni has been there since 2018. Dalic of Croatia since 2017. Sure, you could argue these guys are successful, so therefore they get to stay with the spot. But I think you're seeing the more successful national sides stick with a guy when it works. Even everyone's favorite mug Southgate has been in charge since 2016.

I think it's an interesting argument. But... realistically, I think you're hoping to get 5-8 years out of a manager. Let them bring a group through, see where it goes. Gregg certainly hopes to get that much time to put his stamp on the program.
I think you are hoping for sure. I also think there’s a more than valid argument that none of those guys would be good club managers and that all of those guys benefit from having world class players.

I guess my point is that a majority of the NT managers will only last one cycle and after that start to get stale.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I think you are hoping for sure. I also think there’s a more than valid argument that none of those guys would be good club managers and that all of those guys benefit from having world class players.

I guess my point is that a majority of the NT managers will only last one cycle and after that start to get stale.
I don't think there's as much interest in these types of jobs as is supposed, and definitely not for a long-term run. Most managers with any ambition are going to want to be working with their teams day in/day out, developing their players, moving up the rungs, etc... It takes a special kind of manager that is ok with the long periods of "inactivity" and general lack of agency shaping their team and tactics (e.g. Roberto Martinez, who can be manager and still be a pundit).

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3