USMNT Part X - Qatar Bound - Group B (England, Iran, Wales)

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
USMNT is now "The Bold and the Beautiful" @PanthersPens62

Hopefully this means a lot of young guys

Former United States men's national team captain Claudio Reyna sent multiple messages to U.S. Soccer executives during the World Cup threatening to reveal sensitive details about USMNT coach Gregg Berhalter's past, multiple sources told ESPN.

The messages began after his son, Gio Reyna, was informed he would have a limited role at the tournament.

This is the most American soccer parent move of all American soccer parent moves

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
He's the football director of an MLS team, shouldn't he lose that job post-haste for blackmailing the US National Team?

Wild story, these aren't just guys who were friends from playing some national team games together. I think both their wives were roommates in college. They were close.

All over your son not getting playing time.

Edit: Gio's mom is now saying she was the one to tell US Soccer about the incident.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
What a true POS.

The violent event happened when they were 18, when they were teammates, so Reyna and his wife have known this for decades. They have had no issues becoming close friends. There is no doubt they have talked about this in their past as something the couple had to deal with.

And then to use that against him......that's Days of Our Lives shit there....

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
What a true POS.

The violent event happened when they were 18, when they were teammates, so Reyna and his wife have known this for decades. There is no doubt they have talked about this in their past as something the couple had to deal with.

And then to use that against him......that's Days of Our Lives shit there....

Yup, it occurred the same day Berhalter went to the conference and told the story about Gio almost being kicked off the team.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
So apparently it was Danielle Reyna (Egan) who was the one who reported it to US Soccer. Here's her statement.

“To set the record straight, I did call (U.S. Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference,” Danielle Reyna said in a statement. “I have known Earnie for years and consider him to be a close friend. I wanted to let him know that I was absolutely outraged and devasted that Gio had been put in such a terrible position, and that I felt very personally betrayed by the actions of someone my family had considered a friend for decades. As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age. Without going into detail, the statements from yesterday significantly minimize the abuse on the night in question. Rosalind Berhalter was my roommate, teammate and best friend, and I supported her through the trauma that followed. It took a long time for me to forgive and accept Gregg afterward, but I worked hard to give him grace, and ultimately made both of them and their kids a huge part of my family’s life. I would have wanted and expected him to give the same grace to Gio. This is why the current situation is so very hurtful and hard.”

Danielle Reyna’s statement continues: “At the time I called Earnie, many people were trashing Gio on social media due to Gregg’s comments, and I didn’t know when or if this would stop. I just wanted Earnie to help make sure that there would be no further unwarranted attacks on my son. I thought our conversation would remain in confidence, and it didn’t occur to me at the time that anything I said could lead to an investigation. I’m not criticizing Earnie here. I very much commend the recent efforts by U.S. Soccer to address abuse of women players, and I understand now he had an obligation to investigate what I shared. But I want to be very clear that I did not ask for Gregg to be fired, I did not make any threats, and I don’t know anything about any blackmail attempts, nor have I ever had any discussions about anyone else on Gregg’s staff—I don’t know any of the other coaches. I did not communicate with anyone in U.S. Soccer about this matter before December 11, and no one else in my family has made any statements to U.S. Soccer regarding Gregg’s past at all.

“I’m sorry that this information became public, and I regret that I played a role in something that could reopen wounds from the past.”

I find it hard to believe that if you report information like this to someone in an executive role like Ernie Stewart that you didn't do it with malicious intent. That if you held onto this info for 30 years and only bringing it up now after he criticizes your son that you didn't think it would damage him, I'm sorry I just don't believe it.

I understand wanting to protect your son, but this was out of line. I actually feel sorry for the Berhalter's now. The issue between him and his wife has clearly been resolved and now opened up an old wound for them.

And now for Berhalter they can't bring him back as head coach now because of this now drama between him and the Reyna's. Man what an actual clusterf*** this has turned out to be.

JPBolts

Jun 21, 2019
don't know if it's fair to say Gregg's going to lose his job over this -- bringing him back was not certain.

what is certain, though, is that this is going to be an absolute mess for a while

Reactions: Tryamw

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Inb4 Claudio is the blackmailer.

Pretty despicable to try to hang over him and his wife's (who's clearly forgiven and moved on from the incident) heads presumably to get him ousted, regardless what one thinks of his qualities as a coach. Had this originated from, or on behalf of, the victim that would be different.
What in the actual f***?! I was JOKING. Who needs enemies when you have "friends" like the Reynas?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So apparently it was Danielle Reyna (Egan) who was the one who reported it to US Soccer. Here's her statement.

I find it hard to believe that if you report information like this to someone in an executive role like Ernie Stewart that you didn't do it with malicious intent. That if you held onto this info for 30 years and only bringing it up now after he criticizes your son that you didn't think it would damage him, I'm sorry I just don't believe it.

I understand wanting to protect your son, but this was out of line. I actually feel sorry for the Berhalter's now. The issue between him and his wife has clearly been resolved and now opened up an old wound for them.

And now for Berhalter they can't bring him back as head coach now because of this now drama between him and the Reyna's. Man what an actual clusterf*** this has turned out to be.

This twist makes it seem less like blackmail and more like revenge for Berhalter obviously referring to Gio in his statements. I'm not justifying the Reyna's response, but it's a lot more understandable after his very unprofessional public airing of what should have been private team matters.

And this does nothing to improve his chances of staying on as coach. Dude was done as soon as (if not before) he made those public statements.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
This twist makes it seem less like blackmail and more like revenge for Berhalter obviously referring to Gio in his statements. I'm not justifying the Reyna's response, but it's a lot more understandable after his very unprofessional public airing of what should have been private team matters.

And this does nothing to improve his chances of staying on as coach. Dude was done as soon as (if not before) he made those public statements.
Per the ESPN report, the "blackmail" attempt started during the World Cup, though the actual information was not shared until after: Sources: Danielle Reyna gave USSF Berhalter info.

Presumably, the Reynas were trying to force something after Gio was informed he would not be playing a big role during the tournament, but perhaps only elected to "go public" after Berhalter's remarks at the conference he spoke at.

And it's not really "understandable" either way. It's a 30+ year-old incident the Berhalters had resolved and moved on from and there is really no argument that this was being aired out of any concern for Rosalind or US Soccer as a whole. This was a pure "American soccer parent" power play.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Per the ESPN report, the "blackmail" attempt started during the World Cup, though the actual information was not shared until after: Sources: Danielle Reyna gave USSF Berhalter info.

Presumably, the Reynas were trying to force something after Gio was informed he would not be playing a big role during the tournament, but perhaps only elected to "go public" after Berhalter's remarks at the conference he spoke at.

I think that all lines up. Hinges on exactly what was said between Reyna and McBride/Stewart. Equally shitty behavior all around.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
It's sad that GGG has basically lost his job over this. It was 30 years ago FFS

If he loses his job, which he should NOT be renewed for, it should not be a result of this.
It should be being poor in Qualifying!. It should be for player selection it should be for Tactics in Game
and for talking at the conference about the Gio situation.

He should not be retained period the end.
This incident only created Rosalind Berhalter as a victim.
Gregg by his own account is guilty of this crime
Full stop But It should not have been aired by ANYONE other then Rosalind. (at this point)

GGG should be gone but not for this.

also I don't trust Gregg much on the fine points of this. He's been known for his embellishment..

Reactions: Pens1566

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
And this is part of the problem

Yup, you have former player Ernie Stewart in charge of both the men and women's GM reports to President Cindy Parlow Cone (Former player), Kate Markgraff (Former player) and Brian McBride (former player) with McBride hiring Berhalter (former player) who has to deal with the son of a former player (Claudio Reyna). Eventually this tight knit community was going to come back and bite us.

We genuinely need outside voices within our program

Reactions: JPBolts and Tryamw

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Yup, you have former player Ernie Stewart in charge of both the men and women's GM reports to President Cindy Parlow Cone (Former player), Kate Markgraff (Former player) and Brian McBride (former player) with McBride hiring Berhalter (former player) who has to deal with the son of a former player (Claudio Reyna). Eventually this tight knit community was going to come back and bite us.

We genuinely need outside voices within our program

Bring back Klinsmann

• Haha
Reactions: Chimaera

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States

This is 100% her trying to take the fall so Claudio's Job at Austin FC isn't in jeopardy.

Reactions: The Electrician

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad