USMNT Part X - Qatar Bound - Group B (England, Iran, Wales)

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm usually like in the moment of a bad result, whether its the Kings or the USMNT, I usually think the worst of the team and I feel a lot better in the morning after and last night is no different. I was pissed with how they played last night, but ultimately they got the results that they needed. Looking forward to draw tomorrow, mostly just want to avoid France and Brazil

Reactions: Tryamw

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I'm usually like in the moment of a bad result, whether its the Kings or the USMNT, I usually think the worst of the team and I feel a lot better in the morning after and last night is no different. I was pissed with how they played last night, but ultimately they got the results that they needed. Looking forward to draw tomorrow, mostly just want to avoid France and Brazil

At this point I'm just bummed that our record in Costa Rica still has no wins

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Had no clue the draw was tomorrow until a few minutes ago. I will have to break out my Group of Death t-shirt from the '09 draw party in NYC.

I was blitzed but was still interviewed by Headline News (doubt they put my drunk ass on the air) and met Landon. He was rumored to be signing to play for Club America and I offered the sage advice of not signing because there would be a conspiracy to injure him before the World Cup. Later that afternoon I puked on 3rd Ave. No food, too much free booze

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Pretty reasonable draw. Getting an African team instead would have been better but none of those European teams are soccer powers.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Also if it's Scotland or Wales their attention and effort may be expended on an England match which might be a little extra edge for the US.

Reactions: gary69

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm okay with this draw. England have their own issues, Iran is beatable and the UEFA teams are not heavy hitters. Starting to get nervous now!

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yeah, let's be honest. Despite our team being far younger than any of the other teams, this is an easy group.
It’s a very lucky draw, which is fine, but you need to set the expectation to go through right now. No wishy-washy stuff. If they don’t get through to knockout stage at the minimum heads should roll.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
I'm sure some pundits will call us the favorite in the group. English supporters always fancy themselves as underdogs.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It’s a very lucky draw, which is fine, but you need to set the expectation to go through right now. No wishy-washy stuff. If they don’t get through to knockout stage at the minimum heads should roll.

Our sights should be on potentially winning the group. This England group of players has a track record of playing poorly in groups.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Not mentioned either is the path in knockouts is group A which includes Qatar. Even Netherlands as a 16 match would give a reasonable chance to move on.

Reactions: GabeTravels

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
By contrast with the mood here I'm not thrilled with the draw. We still have a good shot of advancing. It's not a group of death but it does have probably the most parity of any of the 8 groups assuming Wales wins the playoff as they should. Iran is the best team in the AFC and it's almost a home game for them. Wales has top flight talent in Bale and Ramsey, and England is England. Not saying we can't get results off them, we certainly can, but it's not going to be an easy time for them at all.

I believe of all 8 groups Group B has the best cumulative FIFA Ranking with England at 5, US 15, Iran 21, and Wales 18. Scotland and Ukraine would be fodder but Wales *should* handle either (though watch FIFA rig it for Ukraine because of politics).

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The major consideration is that if we finish runner-up in the group then you get the Netherlands in the round of 16. Win the group and probably Ecuador, maybe Senegal. Tough, but not impossible.

Reactions: WangMustGo

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
By contrast with the mood here I'm not thrilled with the draw. We still have a good shot of advancing. It's not a group of death but it does have probably the most parity of any of the 8 groups assuming Wales wins the playoff as they should. Iran is the best team in the AFC and it's almost a home game for them. Wales has top flight talent in Bale and Ramsey, and England is England. Not saying we can't get results off them, we certainly can, but it's not going to be an easy time for them at all.

I believe of all 8 groups Group B has the best cumulative FIFA Ranking with England at 5, US 15, Iran 21, and Wales 18. Scotland and Ukraine would be fodder but Wales *should* handle either (though watch FIFA rig it for Ukraine because of politics).
I don't think you can put Iran above Japan or South Korea until they at least qualify for the knock out rounds at the World Cup (and hopefully it won't be this one). Even head to head S. Korea took 4 of 6 points off them this qualifying cycle, they just lost to UAE away and drew Iraq at home to give the top spot to Iran. I'm certainly much happier seeing Iran there than Japan.

I was pretty happy with the draw until we got the UEFA playoff path team from pot 4. That was the one thing I desperately wanted to avoid, because it automatically makes your group the deepest group in the tournament (unless you're in 'A'. although with the teams Qatar drew out of pots 2 and 3 'A" would have been pretty deep had they gone there too.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Had no clue the draw was tomorrow until a few minutes ago. I will have to break out my Group of Death t-shirt from the '09 draw party in NYC.

I was blitzed but was still interviewed by Headline News (doubt they put my drunk ass on the air) and met Landon. He was rumored to be signing to play for Club America and I offered the sage advice of not signing because there would be a conspiracy to injure him before the World Cup. Later that afternoon I puked on 3rd Ave. No food, too much free booze
Cheers brother! :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad