USMNT Part X - Qatar Bound - Group B (England, Iran, Wales)

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Yea I think they will start to get creative if one of the strikers doesn't make a case at Nations League. You have to find a way to field your strongest XI at the World Cup and one of Weah/Aaronson is way clear of any of the strikers at the moment.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Personally, I would want Butler at DM and Zion on the bench. But hey that's just me....

• Haha
Reactions: Hoek

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
The USA got a tremendous draw... Chance to win the group and this is from a Canadian...

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Hoppe didn’t play again today. Pretty crazy that he’s barely played at Mallorca. Have to think he could spend the summer-fall on loan in MLS to at least give himself a chance at making the WC

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Hoppe didn’t play again today. Pretty crazy that he’s barely played at Mallorca. Have to think he could spend the summer-fall on loan in MLS to at least give himself a chance at making the WC
Kid is 21, don't think he's realistically going to Qatar. USMNT gave him a nice platform at Gold Cup but doesn't seem like he's ready for true national team duty. Battling for time in La Liga is a good development path though, not too many 21 year olds getting regular time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
alphabetically here are the front players USA are probably taking. I don’t think Hoppe gets close to this.

Aaronson, Ferreira, Musah, Pepi, Pulisic, Reyna, Weah. A couple of those guys can double as 8/10 types as well. I’m almost trying to find a spot for Mihailovic.

I think the center midfield places are a bit more locked in. Alphabetically Looking at Acosta, Adams, Busio, De La Torre, McKennie. I think at least four of those spots are already locked in.

Defense is a shit show and have no idea what they are doing there. Dest, Zimmerman and the Robinsons feel like the only locks there.

GK is going to be Steffen and Turner, but I’m also definitely taking Slonina as 3rd keeper to cap tie him, and honestly he should be given a chance to win the starting job. Neither Steffen nor Turner deserve it right now.

Reactions: Gecklund

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think he has like 12 minutes since returning in January from a leg injury. There’s fighting for a spot and there’s just flat out not being considered.

As for his age, the majority of the attack will be u-23 at the WC. I don’t think it’s really relevant.

Seems it was a bad move for him to leave Schalke. At least there he’d be playing

Last edited:
Reactions: gary69

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
alphabetically here are the front players USA are probably taking. I don’t think Hoppe gets close to this.

Aaronson, Ferreira, Musah, Pepi, Pulisic, Reyna, Weah. A couple of those guys can double as 8/10 types as well. I’m almost trying to find a spot for Mihailovic.

I think the center midfield places are a bit more locked in. Alphabetically Looking at Acosta, Adams, Busio, De La Torre, McKennie. I think at least four of those spots are already locked in.

Defense is a shit show and have no idea what they are doing there. Dest, Zimmerman and the Robinsons feel like the only locks there.

GK is going to be Steffen and Turner, but I’m also definitely taking Slonina as 3rd keeper to cap tie him, and honestly he should be given a chance to win the starting job. Neither Steffen nor Turner deserve it right now.

I see Hoppe as a guy who can play just about anywhere in attack or midfield and brings a competitiveness and energy that isn’t always there in the team. I rate him quite highly so it’s been disappointing that he got hurt in the fall and hasn’t played much at Mallorca. At least this year he has months yet to get back into consideration for the World Cup. I think he’s on Egg’s radar having used him against Costa Rica in Columbus.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I see Hoppe as a guy who can play just about anywhere in attack or midfield and brings a competitiveness and energy that isn’t always there in the team. I rate him quite highly so it’s been disappointing that he got hurt in the fall and hasn’t played much at Mallorca. At least this year he has months yet to get back into consideration for the World Cup. I think he’s on Egg’s radar having used him against Costa Rica in Columbus.
He’s not getting any burn and there are going to be a ton of names for him to pass. Rightfully or wrongfully I doubt he is above a guy like Jordan Morris right now

Reactions: Gecklund

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Kid is 21, don't think he's realistically going to Qatar. USMNT gave him a nice platform at Gold Cup but doesn't seem like he's ready for true national team duty. Battling for time in La Liga is a good development path though, not too many 21 year olds getting regular time.
To be fair, Musah is 19, Adams is 23, Busio is 19, Pepi is 19, Pulisic is 23, Reyna is 19, Ferreira is 21, Weah is 22, Dest is 21, McKennie is 23, Aaronson is 21, Sargent is 22, etc.

This is a really young USMNT.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
To be fair, Musah is 19, Adams is 23, Busio is 19, Pepi is 19, Pulisic is 23, Reyna is 19, Ferreira is 21, Weah is 22, Dest is 21, McKennie is 23, Aaronson is 21, Sargent is 22, etc.

They honestly should not be taking anyone that has no chance at the 2026 roster. They need to be guiding for that when the whole team is in its prime. The other problem is they have the wrong man in change.

Reactions: GabeTravels

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
They honestly should not be taking anyone that has no chance at the 2026 roster. They need to be guiding for that when the whole team is in its prime. The other problem is they have the wrong man in change.

Bielsa for next cycle! I actually think the US squad would really fit his pressing style as well.

Assuming they can stay healthy…

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

I'm not saying there is no place for youth on the squad because there clearly is. The problem is he's not as good as those players right now. He's 21 and playing in the second best league in the world. He'll get plenty of chance to develop there and become a player worthy of the USMNT in the next cycle when he'll still be 25 and under.

Reactions: bluesfan94

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
I think he's in consideration for the last striker spot with Sargent, Pefok, Dike, etc. He's just at a severe disadvantage by not being able to play. As for his skill level, I'd rate him above Sargent, but he's a very different sort of player than those three. I really don't think there's anyone else that quite brings what he does - though one might say he's a more skillful and physically bigger Arriola.

If he's the 23rd guy in, I think that'd be a solid choice.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I disagree. Take the strongest team you possibly can and get used to winning in the World Cup.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I disagree. Take the strongest team you possibly can and get used to winning in the World Cup.
I mean there is a different between taking a weak team and bringing guys like Lletget, Roldan, Arriola, Zardes, etc over more deserving younger players.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
That's a different argument altogether
I mean, let me phrase it a different way. Who do you think should be on this roster, that you don’t think is likely to be on the 2026 roster. Age wise or otherwise.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I mean, let me phrase it a different way. Who do you think should be on this roster, that you don’t think is likely to be on the 2026 roster. Age wise or otherwise.

Listing out guys who I think will NOT be on the 2026 roster, but are still in the picture:

Zimmerman - arguably our best in-form CB and a beast on set pieces. As of now, bring him.

Long - He's okay, but I would prefer both Brooks and Richards on the roster over him. And I'm saying this as a RBNY supporter who loves him on our squad. As of now, don't bring him.

Brooks - As I said, bring him. He's a liability if we play a high line, but I'm not sure how much of that we will be doing in Qatar.

Roldan / Lletget - no. Give Mihailovic a shot over them this summer too.

Acosta - Arguable if he will still be on the roster by 2026, but regardless, he is and should be on the plane to Qatar.

Morris - Still think he has lost a step vs. pre-injury. I would prefer Konrad or Hoppe at the moment.

Arriola - This one is tough because his tenacity and versatility are big pro's for tournament play. He gets way too much hate. If we're bringing one of the aforementioned wingers over Morris, I keep Arriola for those pro's plus his veteran presence and continuity.

Zardes - Don't necessarily think he is even in the picture at the moment, but no need to bring him barring a strong run of form and things looking incredibly bleak elsewhere in the way of form and/or inuries.

So to answer the question: Zimmerman, Brooks, Acosta, Arriola.

Reactions: bluesfan94

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Listing out guys who I think will NOT be on the 2026 roster, but are still in the picture:

Zimmerman - arguably our best in-form CB and a beast on set pieces. As of now, bring him.

Long - He's okay, but I would prefer both Brooks and Richards on the roster over him. And I'm saying this as a RBNY supporter who loves him on our squad. As of now, don't bring him.

Brooks - As I said, bring him. He's a liability if we play a high line, but I'm not sure how much of that we will be doing in Qatar.

Roldan / Lletget - no. Give Mihailovic a shot over them this summer too.

Acosta - Arguable if he will still be on the roster by 2026, but regardless, he is and should be on the plane to Qatar.

Morris - Still think he has lost a step vs. pre-injury. I would prefer Konrad or Hoppe at the moment.

Arriola - This one is tough because his tenacity and versatility are big pro's for tournament play. He gets way too much hate. If we're bringing one of the aforementioned wingers over Morris, I keep Arriola for those pro's plus his veteran presence and continuity.

Zardes - Don't necessarily think he is even in the picture at the moment, but no need to bring him barring a strong run of form and things looking incredibly bleak elsewhere in the way of form and/or inuries.

So to answer the question: Zimmerman, Brooks, Acosta, Arriola.
I'd be fine with exactly this and I bet the braintrust is thinking this way as well. Couple of MLS guys who would be in Europe if not for their age and a defender we've got nothing like in the pipeline. Don't know if Arriola gets there but he can contribute in a limited role.

Reactions: Basement Cat

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Agree on Zimmerman and Acosta and don’t have a problem with either because they are filling positions of need on the team. Brooks I think is done, but on talent he is still one of the top four CB. Long you can say the same as Brooks probably with the caveat being his health. B it as you said, might be only one spot for Brooks, Long or Richards. Richards will play in 2026 and is playing at arguably highest club level of the three.

Arriola? Not taking him. USA can better use that spot on a younger player. Not saying Berhalter agrees with me but I’m not taking Arriola over a guy like Mihailovic, who is also very versatile. No chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00