Using the Capgeek Armchair GM, what would your 2015-16 team look like?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
You say we should keep drafting and that's how you become a good team but then you have us trading two 1st rounders+ for Kane??

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think we should try and acquire Nick Jensen from the canucks. Would be a good young winger to put on the top line for a long time. I would trade Matt Read and a pick. Then if Leier is ready next year we will have a good young team to come.

Jensen Giroux Voracek
Raffl Couturier Simmonds
Leier Laughton Raffl
Rinaldo Bellemare Akeson

Del Zotto Coburn
Morin Streit
Hägg Macdonald
Alt

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I think we should try and acquire Nick Jensen from the canucks. Would be a good young winger to put on the top line for a long time. I would trade Matt Read and a pick. Then if Leier is ready next year we will have a good young team to come.

Jensen Giroux Voracek
Raffl Couturier Simmonds
Leier Laughton Raffl
Rinaldo Bellemare Akeson

Del Zotto Coburn
Morin Streit
Hägg Macdonald
Alt

Jensen can't even crack Vancouver's roster & has been underwhelming even in the AHL. Zero reason Alt should be sitting in the pressbox when he has waiver eligibility extending past next year. Also highly unlikely Morin & Hagg are both in the lineup next year at the same time.

Last edited:

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania

Jensen Giroux Voracek
Raffl Couturier Simmonds
Leier Laughton Raffl
Rinaldo Bellemare Akeson

Del Zotto Coburn
Morin Streit
Hägg Macdonald
Alt

Are we signing Raffls brother?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If we are blessed enough to find trading partners for our garbage contracts (not going to happen, but we can dream)..

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Matt Read ($3.625m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / UFA
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Nick Cousins ($0.812m) / Taylor Leier ($0.780m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($3.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Samuel Morin ($0.894m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.250m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2015-16)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $58,623,783; BONUSES: $840,433
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $10,376,217

Could put Read on the 3rd line RW and get a UFA LW too. Hopefully he starts playing well again.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That Nemeth arm cut injury was a disaster for them.

Meh, not really. Nemeth is good, but 'disaster' it is not.

One thing the Flyers need in order to trade Lecavalier is one of these teams who is trying to be on the up to look attractive to him. The Oilers would be a great mix of a team who has a lot of good young players who should be good soon, but management always submarines them.

That or a team like Anaheim who may think they're one player away yet need to dump a contract to make it work while Hextall retains salary. Lecavalier for Nate Thompson would be nice.

RJ8812*

Meh, not really. Nemeth is good, but 'disaster' it is not.

One thing the Flyers need in order to trade Lecavalier is one of these teams who is trying to be on the up to look attractive to him. The Oilers would be a great mix of a team who has a lot of good young players who should be good soon, but management always submarines them.

That or a team like Anaheim who may think they're one player away yet need to dump a contract to make it work while Hextall retains salary. Lecavalier for Nate Thompson would be nice.

Oilers can be a great fit for Vinny all they want, but I seriously doubt he would waive his NMC to go there

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Oilers can be a great fit for Vinny all they want, but I seriously doubt he would waive his NMC to go there

The idea is that the Oilers presumably would be functioning better as an organization, but that will never happen if they remain in last place for eternity. If he were to, it would bring them some credibility sort of the same way it did for the Kings when Ryan Smyth waived his no-trade to go to a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 7 years.

RJ8812*

The idea is that the Oilers presumably would be functioning better as an organization, but that will never happen if they remain in last place for eternity. If he were to, it would bring them some credibility sort of the same way it did for the Kings when Ryan Smyth waived his no-trade to go to a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 7 years.

for the most part, if they have the choice (which he ultimately does) hockey players don't want to play in Canada. Lecavalier didn't want to sign with MTL, who are light years better than the Oilers, so I just don't believe he would waive to go to Edmonton.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
for the most part, if they have the choice (which he ultimately does) hockey players don't want to play in Canada. Lecavalier didn't want to sign with MTL, who are light years better than the Oilers, so I just don't believe he would waive to go to Edmonton.

Geez, I'M TRYING TO GET HIM OUT OF HERE, OK?

At some point, when we get a coach in here who actually knows how to coach, Vinny's choices are going to be 'play 4th line here' or 'whoever else will take you and doesn't know any better.'

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
B/c we can have a little fun with it.

FORWARDS
Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Jason Akeson ($0.750m)
R.J. Umberger ($4.600m) / Vincent Lecavalier ($4.500m) / Michael Raffl ($1.100m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($5.750m) / Mark Streit ($5.250m)
Michael Del Zotto ($1.300m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Samuel Morin ($0.894m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Brandon Manning ($0.735m) /

GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Ray Emery ($1.000m)

------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,868,000; BONUSES: $712,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $3,582,000

Apparently I found teams to take AMac and Grossmann, pretty sweet if you ask me.

I went ahead and signed M. Staal too.

At his current trajectory, you're going to have to get MDZ a raise and sign him before the end of the season.

Berube flat out said he has been the Flyers best defensemen and i'm sure the league is noticing that this guy A) can still play and B) is still young.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The only thing I care about is hextall working some magic to dump VL and RJ. They are an anchor that is holding this team back from reaching the next level. Laughton and leier or cousins will be fine replacements next year at a fraction of the cost

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I don't think this team is worse: (Grossmann and Coburn traded for picks)

FORWARDS
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Taylor Leier ($0.780m) / Nick Cousins ($0.812m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m)
Ryan White ($0.575m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Samuel Morin ($0.894m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Michael Del Zotto ($3.250m) / Robert Hagg ($0.925m)
Nick Schultz ($1.250m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Thomas Greiss ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
R.J. Umberger ($1.600m)
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Vincent Lecavalier ($2.889m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
LTIR
Chris Pronger ($4.941m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,112,672; BONUSES: $840,433
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $8,887,328

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
At his current trajectory, you're going to have to get MDZ a raise and sign him before the end of the season.

Berube flat out said he has been the Flyers best defensemen and i'm sure the league is noticing that this guy A) can still play and B) is still young.

capspace is there for that

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Try their hardest to dump Lecavalier somehow and, to a lesser importance, Umberger. Don't waste draft picks and do well at the draft, assuming they keep their picks. Re-sign MDZ, re-sign Bellemare, ditch Berube for someone who looks like they might be better.

About all I want from this upcoming off-season by the looks of things now.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Ryan O'Reilly ($6.000m) / Claude Giroux ($8.275m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Brayden Schenn ($2.500m) / Sean Couturier ($1.750m) / Matt Read ($3.625m)
Michael Raffl ($1.100m) / Scott Laughton ($0.863m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Viktor Stalberg ($3.000m) / Pierre-Edouard Bellemare ($1.000m) / R.J. Umberger ($4.600m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.850m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Michael Del Zotto ($3.250m) / Samuel Morin ($0.894m)
Mark Streit ($5.250m) / Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m)
Shayne Gostisbehere ($0.925m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Chris Pronger ($4.941m) /
GOALTENDERS
Steve Mason ($4.100m)
Rob Zepp ($0.750m)
BUYOUTS
Daniel Briere ($0.000m)
Ilya Bryzgalov ($0.000m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
SALARY CAP: $71,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $70,498,929; BONUSES: $1,208,333
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $501,071

Coburn of course was traded for ROR lol. Grossmann to Calgary for a 2nd rounder because Burkie likes his physical players. Vinny to Nashville for Stalberg. We have the most expensive 4th line in the NHl but it's not full of goons!

Oh yea, this roster doesn't have McDavid on it, when we keep slipping in the standings as the year goes on i'll find some room for him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Ghost, who'll miss most of the season, will make the team next year but Hagg and Alt, who'll get a full year of AHL seasoning won't?

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
So Ghost, who'll miss most of the season, will make the team next year but Hagg and Alt, who'll get a full year of AHL seasoning won't?

He could be back in February and will get a good look at some further play. Hopefully the Phantoms get into the playoffs so he gets an extended season as well. Ghost is the most NHL ready out of these guys, so even with the injury(not as bad as believed which is great) is probably going to get a shot first.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
He could be back in February and will get a good look at some further play. Hopefully the Phantoms get into the playoffs so he gets an extended season as well. Ghost is the most NHL ready out of these guys, so even with the injury(not as bad as believed which is great) is probably going to get a shot first.

We don't know that at all. We saw Ghost in actual NHL action and he certainly didn't look ready. Alt, Hagg, Morin already have NHL bodies, so until they get a shot, declaring Ghost the most ready is wrong.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He really isn't.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
We don't know that at all. We saw Ghost in actual NHL action and he certainly didn't look ready. Alt, Hagg, Morin already have NHL bodies, so until they get a shot, declaring Ghost the most ready is wrong.

He really isn't.

I should have worded that differently. I believe Morin is the most ready, but I think the Flyers proved he was the closest out of Hagg, Alt or Ghost when they recalled him over the others.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think Hagg is more NHL ready than Ghost.

If we can get rid of Grossmann and maybe even Coburn:

Hagg-Streit
Morin-MacD
Ghost-Schenn
Alt

The problem is... 4 new to the NHL players. I'd only trade Coburn if we can get a good 1st in 2015 or a good winger prospect. Honestly, can it be worse with these guys than with Grossmann and Coburn? Or do you think we'll lose too much by doing that?

EDIT: I forgot about MDZ, and that may mean that Schenn might be the 7th and Alt still down in the minors?

Hagg-Streit
MDZ-MacD
Ghost-Morin
Schenn

Also, even if we held onto 25% retained (after signing bonus) of Vinny and trade him to the Preds for Aberg, would they do it?

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Highly unlikely that the Flyers ice three rookies on defense next year (I think we only see just Morin). Alt doesn't have to clear waivers for next year so no reason to have him sitting in the pressbox.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Trading Coburn would be a dumb move. Not only has he been a cornerstone of the Flyers' defense for years, but in the years to come, he can be a valuable asset in sheltering rookies as they develop easily through the ranks. You don't want place high expectations and thrust them into a role they aren't prepared for. Look at what happens to teams that do that (like Edmonton). Prospects are either ruined or have a extended developmental curve.
And I mean... look at the Flyers PK without Coburn this season. Granted, losing Timonen and Mason's elite play hurts, but Coburn played a HUGE part in the PK's past success. Losing him permanently would be disastrous.
Flyers fans really take him for granted. I love Couturier as much as anyone here, but I often get frustrated by the amount of praise he receives for his defensive prowess while Coburn gets derided as a brainless pylon every time he makes a mistake. Maybe he's not as sexy, but he's a very important player for us.

- MacDonald is here to stay. While his contract sucks, I can't envision a realistic scenario where it's off the books. Thankfully, he's not useless, just overpaid. He'll be on the second pairing for years to come.
- Streit is fine, obviously. I just hope he doesn't hit a wall, because he's signed to a big contract for two more season. That could potentially be a problem, but it's working out right now. Then again, Hextall showed proactivity with the Umberger trade. If Streit shows signs of physical decline, it wouldn't surprise me if Hextall jumps ship before it's too late.
- Grossmann should be the first to go. His lack of mobility and variability combined with his lack of consistency under Berube make him an obvious choice. The hard part is finding a team to take on his salary. Hopefully the cap increases.
- I'd next trade Del Zotto. I know he's stepped up for the Flyers early on, but people shouldn't forget how awful he was beforehand. MDZ will look for a pay increase and longer-term contract, but that might prove to be a mistake given his past consistency issues on both ends of the ice. I think the contrast between his mobility and offensive ability and the rest of our defense wows people more than it should. Flyers can probably get decent value for him and replace him with Ghost/Hagg/Sanheim.
- I'd hold on to Luke Schenn for one more season. While at times he can be the worst D in the league, getting rid of him and Grossmann may hurt the Flyers physicality. Plus, I doubt the Flyers would get anything for him. Morin will be in the AHL, waiting to take his spot when he's ready.
Having said that... Schenn's value to the Flyers is limited outside his physicality. He's a one-dimensional, shutdown D and a crappy penalty killer. I actually hesitate to keep him over Grossmann (who can at least be a secondary PKer). If it's the right circumstance, switch him and Grossmann.

- Dump Umberger with half his salary retained. Hopefully a team will go for that, but it's hard to say. Replace him with a veteran, two-way forward signed at $3M maximum for one more year. This gives necessary cap flexibility to extend Voracek, Couturier, Schenn and Coburn.
Sobotka would be great if he's coming back, especially since his value will have likely dropped. I'll slot him in (traded for a pick).
- Use some cap space on a top-6 winger. The UFA market might be thin, though. My solution would be to find another veteran signed for one more year, preferably slightly overpaid so the cost to acquire won't be high (cap dump).
Loui Eriksson fits the bill. He doesn't seem to be working in Boston, and they'll probably be done with him soon. Because of his struggles with the Bruins, many forget how good he can be.
- I won't plan on Vinny going anywhere, because I don't see anyone wanting him. Maybe he can be traded for a mediocre D with a similar contract, but I can't think of anyone who qualifies (most bad contracts were eliminated with compliance buyouts).
- Re-sign Bellemare.

- Sign a decent backup, like Thomas Greiss or Josh Harding (if healthy).

B. Schenn ($2.5M) - Giroux ($8.275M) - Voracek ($4.25M)
L. Eriksson ($4.25M) - Couturier ($1.75M) - Read ($3.625M)
Sobotka ($2.75M) - Laughton ($0.863M) - Simmonds ($3.975M)
Raffl ($1.1M) - Lecavalier ($4.5M) - Bellemare ($0.8M)
Scratched: Rinaldo ($0.85M), R. White ($0.6M)

Streit ($5.25M) - Coburn ($4.5M)
Hagg ($0.925M) - MacDonald ($5.0M)
Gostisbehere ($0.925M) - Schenn ($3.6M)
Scratched: Alt ($0.782M)

Mason ($4.1M)
Harding ($1.5M)

Retained: Umberger ($2.3M)

CAP PAYROLL: $68.97M

That's $0.03M if the cap stays the same. If the cap increases, use that money to sign a top 4 D (or re-sign Del Zotto if his demands are reasonable).
It's not a great team, but the Flyers won't have a great team given the roster's lack of mobility. Hopefully the young players step up. If they do, the team has a shot at the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad